GTX 680 VSync Stuttering Issue (Video Comparison)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Brendruis, May 8, 2012.

1. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
  2. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Thats a shame. However I too have rma'd my Phantom and the shop received it back just yesterday. Been with my new 580 since Saturday and all my issues are melting away.

Whilst no doubt many would say hey its a new card, takes a while for drivers to mature etc etc. I bought a 6800GT, 7900 GTX, 8800GTX, 280GTX, 480GTX all at launch and found release drivers on the whole pretty robust and good to go. This 680 has just been way below par in comparrison for me. And like you, I'm not convinced this can even be fully resolved solely with drivers.

Tbh I'll probably now skip the 6 series altogether. But I'll keep an eye and see if issues get resolve.

3. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Dude I just noticed sorry to go way off base here just I am feeling like I am in a minefield with buying a mobo and CPU and notice you have one of the asrock boards I was looking at, or close.

I have decided to get the i5 3570K but as to what mobo to choose I am very lost.

I am wanting to push as far as I can o/c wise and on AIR, specifically I will likely replace my H50 with the H80.

SO stability and performance is a priority. I am mainly trying to avoid spending an extra £60 for a board which has things I do NOT need, but money is not a problem if its WORTH it, if u see.

I looked at this

ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asro...ata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-d-sub-dvi-hdm

Who the hell that guy is I do not know or care, my interest is in finding a mobo which does the job I want.

Truth is... I never really trusted the stability of this MSI P55-GD65, and it's voltage control I swear is shoddy.. yet people are saying the Z77-GD65 is a good board, I looked at asus, and asrock I have no clue what they ar elike.

I dno, anyway, just wondering you seem to know your stuff, you got any input for me ?

4. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    I'm talking about fact that so called "optimisations" usually brings more problems then benefits. But I don't claim here is the same case, it is just a guess.

I'm not sure where i saw that, but it is true that nv used that thing in "green cards" and those cards was cr**. There is possibility that they started to use it on "regular" cards.

5. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Maybe they want to release it with some extra optimizations. He said this month so it will be between today and 2 weeks. 2 weeks isn't that long.

6. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    @ rC

Best we dont derail topic too much, but in answer to your question:

First time with an ASRock board, but these days they have a solid rep. I too couldnt care about Fatal1ty, but I liked the black and red colour scheme and simply the fact that it has a high spec board - or at least the Pro is, I never read into the one you're looking at. They also got great reviews.

Have to say its been a brilliant experience so far. I only wanted a mild overclock though of 4Ghz. But I did that within a few seconds and running off a very reasonable 1.2v vcore. 100% stable and no probs. The UEFI is ace and I boot from cold to desktop in 24 seconds with the ssd I run.

So no probs, but I did have to disable Intel Speedstep and C states with my i5 2550k as it would occasionaly cause stuttering on some games if enabled (aside from the 680 issue). I also delibrately chose a chip without HT as imo games can suffer with it enabled so knew for this gaming build, that if an option, it would only end up being disabled.

Hope that helps :)

7. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Thanks Dazza, good info, appreciated.

8. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Oh right. Thats not what hes been quoted as saying on here...

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think we're going to be looking at 4-8 weeks before we see a driver with the v-sync stutter bug fixed. It certainly is not in the 301.40 drivers as I tried them with Assassin's Creed II and it still juddered with a framerate fluctuating between 58 and 60 fps. NVIDIA did fix two game bugs though for F1 2010 and Bully! :)

10. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Oh sh*t, I read it as "scheduled this month" instead of "not scheduled". My apoligies, forget what I said :D

11. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    :) No worries - must just be the eternal optimist in you ;)

12. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
  13. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Damn, I had just about enough trouble with my 7950 and send the card in to RMA. In case the new card has the same issues I thought about getting a 680/670 instead, yet after reading a while about how things stand in the green corner, I'm not so sure about that either.

Is it too much to ask for a ~400€ card to come without graphical glitches or artifacts (7950) or stuttering (680)?

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Amazing isn't it, especially when Nvidia are not supposed to have any problems.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I didn't realize they claimed that.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its not actually Nvidia who claim it, you know very well who does, still, this threads about a Nvidia issue, so im off, keep the thread on topic.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  17. Hatseflatsh

Hatseflatsh Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Hey Brendruis,

I just noticed one thing...I have exactly the same problem..and we both have the same Mainboard. I did some research and almost everyone with the problem had the same Mainboard.

18. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Of course it wont tear, if Vsync is ON, that is the whole point of VSync.

But reading this, I would like to know, why use fps limiting WITH Vsync? Is there some added benefit?

19. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Not really.. Some games that experience the VSYNC problem have the stuttering alleviated with FPS limiter.. however with others the FPS limiter introduces additional severe stuttering that is undesirable.

Basically it is a pretty poor workaround for the VSYNC and fps dip problem with VSYNC off.

Some of you may be interested to read this... I guess nVidia forums compromised:

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think the vast majority of people have no problems. As such they rarely have a need to start threads to talk about their GPU experiences. Of course those with issues will have a much greater need to do so and to share their problems and look for a solution to them. Hence they will appear far bigger than their numbers represent.

Based on my previous experiences with Nvidia, and seeing the responses in the 670/680 satisfaction poll, I am inclined to believe that is the case. The sheer number of hardware (and software) variations may have to do with why some people are having issues and why some are not. Like Windows and in MS community forums. Many people experience problems that others do not.