GTX 680 VSync Stuttering Issue (Video Comparison)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Brendruis, May 8, 2012.

1. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Hey guys I posted this on nVidia forums but I figured I'd repost here. I recently replaced my 580's with a single GTX 680 and ever since I have noticed a problem with VSync in several games. There are strange framerate dips down to 55 fps every 30 seconds or so when VSync at 60Hz. The GPU is hardly even being used and is using even less power. The game ran flawlessly on the same rig, same install with a GTX 580 and on my wife's 560 Ti her rig is an i5 750.

I made a video for nVidia of the issue since they requested on the forums people submit videos of this problem. There is a 300 reply thread on the 600 series forums right now about this issue.

Here is my video, sorry if its a shaky cam its with my iPhone. I am using 301.24 and documenting the stutter driver issue with VSync and 680 in Mass Effect 3 :) If you have a 680 you can try this yourself if you want. WTF is up with this guys.. nVidia? This VSync performance kinda sucks balls :nerd: Watch how a 560 Ti outperforms the GTX 680 with VSync on...

http://youtu.be/PnVisIZBiRc

Edit: Made a video of Skyrim too where the problem is worse and more noticeable. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObND_i2rYI

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. angmar

angmar Guest

I have many problems with those drivers as well....I ended up going back to 296.10...unfortunately that's not an option for you :\

3. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    This is exactly what I am getting in SKYRIM with vsync at 60hz it has been bugging me so much I have been so confused by it I am so glad somebody has nailed it, I really hope this gets fixed or the card will be going back.

But I do feel allot better knowing this is 'NORMAL' at this time.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  4. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yep the same problem exists in Skyrim too from my testing. I may make a Skyrim video also.

5. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Thanks for picking up and carrying on flying the flag on this Brendruis. I pushed it forward with lots of detail over at the Nvidia forums, but dont have easy access to vid equipment. And running fraps ingame vid messes with the issue.

At least now you've given them something to actually replicate as they couldnt see it in ME2, even though it stands out like a sore thumb with me.

Even with 300.83 I occasionaly get other stuttering every now and then. Its like the frames get into a mess, cause a stutter for a second or two, then sort themselves out and carry on correctly. For me this can be anywhere from 5 mins to an hour to show itself on 300.83. But show itself it does.

On 301 and onwards its there with more regularity.

I think once they get rid of the sporadic frame issue we'll be good, though I discovered power mangement was playing its part in the issue too, but hopefully will get ironed out in the fix.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sometimes stars will collide and Vsync will causes stuttering.
    So this is hardly a news.

Use Adaptive Vsync and/or 60fps frame limit (Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector)

7. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Yes it is news as this not a normal vsync problem and is specific to the 6 series. And your suggestions do not stop tearing in the same way as vsync does. Reduce it yes, but stop it no.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Do I really need to Google for you Vsync + stuttering

I had that ages ago in TF2, so I read alot about it :)

Of course it's not normal behavior, but it happens ALOT, for all kinds of reasons.

60/120 fps limiting with Vsync on _will_not_ tear,
    That is if it actually helps and stops stuttering,
    and is that is the 1st thing you should do if you have stuttering.

But if it fps limiting doesn't help, there's a good chance Adaptive will.
    Possibly introducing tearing, but occasional tearing vs occasional stutering is pretty easy choice, no?

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    @OP

If you're referring to Skyrim, it's an engine problem, it's been around since oblivion. Creation engine is just gamebryro with a new name. It's still got the same bug.

There is a fix for it, I don't have a link for you but I read it a while ago when tweaking fallout 3.

Just google oblivion stutter/gamebryo stutter etc.

10. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Thanks for the patronising google serach. But I appreciate you're trying to help.

However, you've missed my pont and indeed the OP's too. So I'll state it again - This is not a normal vsync issue. Hence why the thread was started.

Some believe this may be realted to the GPU boost feature introduced with the new architecture as power management also appears to have impact.

Work arounds involving turning it off are not what I, nor many other 680 owners are happy with. ;)

You say this is not news, but like I say, this a different issue to the usual vsync issues people have had. Have a look n the Nvidia forum under the 600 series for more clarity.

11. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    KingDazza, Brendruis and myself all have a 680, you don't.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah I've seen 18 pages of garbage on NV Forum :D

Does FPS limiting and/or Adaptive solve the issue or not?

13. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Adaptive Vsync is the option for you. I use it and no problem at all with games and no heavy drop in FPS. :)

14. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    I am a bit un sure how everybody is missing the point here.

I just paid £400+ for a gpu which has a problem which was annoying me allot, and I even ended up buying more RAM wondering if maybe that would help, it turns out, it is the card, and the 560 Ti does NOT do it, the only answer for me is Nvidia fix it or they get there card back.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't say I've noticed any unexpected stuttering on my games with my GTX 680 compared with my GTX 580. Overall, games run smoother and I'm able to use higher AA settings too, as you'd expect from a faster card with more memory.

I do see instances in Mass Effect 3 where the framerate dips momentarily to 55 fps before going back up to 60 fps, when I spin Shepard on the spot, but I do have 4xMSAA/4xTrSGSAA forced in the game profile using the Mass Effect AA compatibility flag so it isn't surprising (the game still runs smooth though).

I have seen the thread on the GeForce.com forum, which indicates a good number of people are experiencing this issue, but either it is something specific to their machines (hardware, software or both) or I'm just not sensitive to notice it. However, I can imagine it would extremely annoying for those that do notice it (I'm like that when it comes to screen tearing).

16. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    This and this.

The 560Ti on the youtube video is how it SHOULD be.

17. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    It's just driver problems, i've been having some strange FPS drops in several games with beta drivers, only ones that are fairly good -301.10. All beta drivers gave me really strange fps drops in Starcraft2, with framerate dropping to 30 occasionally and staying there for 10-15 sec. But one i got back to 301.10 and enabled tripple buffering(i tried it on all beta drivers aswell) i have no problem whatsoever. as for skyrim, there's still quite a few problems with it's engine/code.

18. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    When eliminating tearing completely with vsync and with 301.1 and above no.

However most, like I are finding that 300.83 when paired with tweaks: frame limiting, pre rendered set to 1 and power management set to performance, can minimise it and nearly fully resolve it. :)

Adaptive doesnt really help, as screen tearing still present.

Anyway Nvidia have now apparently confirmed the issue and are looking into it. Which is all a sect of 680 users have been after.

19. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I appreciate the input, Noisiv, but this is not my first rodeo. There is something to this and it is related to the GTX 680 and the driver. Darren just said he saw it also... It isn't related to injecting or forcing FXAA at all, it is the GTX 680 and the driver we are all using. I could force FXAA all day long on my GTX 580 with not a single drop to 55FPS. The fact that 300.83 improves the situation suggests its software related.

Mass Effect 3 is a very well optimized game that has NO PROBLEM running at 60FPS on even modest hardware. A GTX 680 should NOT BE HAVING ANY FPS DROPS in a small indoor environment in this game.

Again.. I ran ME3 on a GTX 580 with no issues in this same rig.. no 55FPS drops..

The issue is worse in other games.. I may make another video

Adaptive VSync had me excited at first when they announced it, but I didn't want it at the expense of REAL VSYNC WHICH IS STILL NEEDED. Please stop acting like Adaptive VSYNC just replaced everything and its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Think about our racing fans out there (myself included) who are induced to nausea if forced to play without sync... :puke2: Have a heart..

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well ofc. that forcing Adaptive should not be the permanent solution, and ya all want fully usable and stutter-free Vsync.

Presuming this is a driver thingie, you will see when the fix gets released,
    there will still be unsatisfied gamers, because stutters/fps drops are very elusive and generic symptoms, caused by plethora of causes.

But it's a good thing that you made topic on NV Forum.
    That is how it should be done.
    Ppl love to reply when they see someone suffering from the same symptoms,
    but it takes a fearless soul, to be the first to report and just make a frigin thread :)