GTX 680 Owners Check-In

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xtreme1979, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    you must be jelly of these 680 owners tommy :p

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    nah, I keep seeing stock sli tests I want to see oc tests in heaven, doesnt make me jealous lol

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    He's trying to find more justification for buying 2....lol

4. Nightfireomg

Nightfireomg Guest

GPU:
    Asus 680 GTX SLI
    Oc run

Overclock run: +150 Core and +540 on memory
    Got me 2486 Marks in UG 3.0

There you go tk

I took over clock as well its just not needed
    Still was a nice boost and only ran 3 degrees hotter too

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    nice thats what I wanna see. no pic bro? what was your min max fps?
    @sykozis saw your interest thread, you looking to get one of these bad boys?

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

sry sold my lightning to cosmo a few weeks back($330)

680 sli
    [​IMG]
    680 sli
    [​IMG]
    i am 680 i am robot beatie beatie dont worry i can overclock myself beatie beatie .

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  7. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    yeah but can it play witcher 2 with uber sampling on smooth?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope. I don't do "high-end". Besides, I'm more interested in GCN. I'll come back to nVidia next generation (or architecture...lol). It's like a sick cycle....every few years I buy an AMD/ATI card. Last was in 2008, before that 2004.....

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm not having any problems with the auto-clocking as it doesn't require user intervention.

I'm just confused about how the Power Boost feature works in MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X. I've set mine to 125% but my games still only overclock to the same 1,137 MHz I get when it is on the default of 100%. So what is it supposed to do?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    According to nVidia, you have to increase the "Power Target" setting, then increase the "clock offset" for the card's "GPU Boost" to overclock the card further.

11. Nightfireomg

Nightfireomg Guest

GPU:
    Asus 680 GTX SLI
    Ill try explain mate - basically all the power, clock speeds are hard coded into the gpu so you increase the power so allow the gpu to get extra power if its needed this

however that is dependant on if the gpu thinks that is considered safe and also on if its needed

Another factor is the temps every 5 degrees over 75 degrees from what i saw the gpu will down clock by about 13mhz the hotter it gets the more speed ur core clock loses, good air flow is important

In essence 2 things will determine the speed, the conditions and if its needed
    Power restrictions hence u increase the power to +32 to stop the clocks decreasing and most importantly temps

Then you increase the offsets to increase the clock speed and memory (+offset)

so if u set the gpu clock with a 100mhz offset when ur core is hitting 1300 now it will be hitting 1400 etc same goes for the memory

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for that, Nightfireomg.

Guru3D.com have also posted an overclocking guide here: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-overclock-guide/

I didn't realise that just increasing the power boost on its own, doesn't increase the overclocking. I thought increasing it by 25% would increase the core/memory auto-overclocks by 25% also but that doesn't happen, at least on my system, it doesn't. You also have increase the core and memory offsets too, which you can do with MSI Afterburner v2.2.0 beta 15.

My own GTX 680, by default, typically overclocks to 1,137 MHz during games such as Alan Wake or Crysis 2. I've not seen it go any higher than that even though the Power Boost is set to 125%. The memory is never overclocked either (is that the same for everyone else?), it stays at 1.5 GHz (6 GHz effective). I did try setting the core to +250 MHz and the memory to +500 MHz as mentioned in many reviews but the games I tested caused the driver to stop responding (the first time I've ever since this error). I presume that's because those settings are beyond the capabilities of my card, or that it is getting insufficient power?

What settings are other people using?

13. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    GTX480 SLI - Vsyncd run:

[​IMG]

Not bad :banana:

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    no worries. figured id ask.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I managed to fix my GTA IV loading screen loop issue which I mentioned earlier by the way even though I ended up reinstalling the game to another location with the same issue.

The problem seemed to stem from having a shortcut to My Music (where there's some 120 GB of MP3s) in the My Documents/Rockstar Games/GTA IV/User Music folder. When I moved that GTA IV save folder then the game loaded just fine. I then found out that it was that particular shortcut that caused the problem, perhaps because there were too many songs there? Whatever, it is working now so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

(Deleting the GTA IV save folder surprisingly did not delete my save games either; it seems that they're stored somewhere else)

16. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    See I am having the same issue.. I even tried multiple tweak utilities.. Also attempted to use the slightly older 300.99 driver to no avail... I simply am stumped.. Getting more and more ready to sell this dang card... Hoping someone can give me some hope to what settings they are using.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What problem are you having? That your card doesn't overclock itself very far?

Download and install MSI Afterburner v2.2.0 beta 15 and set the power limit to 125% or 130% in the Settings. Make sure you Apply the settings otherwise they won't 'stick'. Next, increase the Core clock from its defaults of +0 to something that you know your card can reach without issues on the default settings. For example, my card will clock itself to 1,137 MHz during many games so I could set my Core offset to +131 MHz. That would then set the baseline at 1,137 MHz not 1,106 MHz, allowing for the card theoretically to clock itself beyond the 1,137 MHz I've been seeing.

When I initially tried this I set the Core clock offset to +250 MHz and the Memory offset to +500 MHz but that caused "a driver not responding" error to occur and the games to freeze such that I had to bring up Task Manager to close them down. I suspect, though I haven't done enough testing yet to be sure, that my problem was that my card can't handle the memory at 7 GHz. What I should have done was tested the Core clock first then gone on to do the same for the Memory clock to find the best settings to use.

I suspect that most GTX 680 cards will be able to handle +100 MHz to both the Core and Memory clocks without issues so that might be a good starting point for you?

18. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Why don't you use EVGA Precision? I think it supports also other cards not only EVGA.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You mean me?

I have EVGA Precision X installed but not running as I already use MSI Afterburner for OSDs (to monitor framerates/temps) in games and also for a GPU gadget on my desktop (which EVGA Precision doesn't work with). v2.20 beta 15 of Afterburner might not be as well laid-out or as GTX 680-specific as Precision X but it retains the same functionality, including setting the Power Limiter and Core/Memory clock offsets, I believe.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU: