GTX 680 Owners Check-In

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xtreme1979, Mar 24, 2012.

1. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Ok, lately I've been playing SWTOR & Mass Effect 3. Will I notice any differences upgrading from a 470 to a 680?

I know my CPU is not ready for the 680, but I'm planning on upgrading to an Ivy Bridge when they come out.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    If yours is stock, then yes it would be a noticeable difference. Unless its oced 850-900mhz then no it would not. I had 470 at 900mhz and it outperformed a stock 580 by 5-10%

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Tested to see how the hotwire mod worked since i never done one of those before.
    thanks to shamino @ asus for the mod
    http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680
    really simple just sodder a wire to a point by the cards ic and hook it up to the vsence on a ramage extremme,then you use the bios to add plus or minus but its backwards thuo so you would put -xx to add volts.
    Was a little unsettling but if it could not take +.15v then what good is it right?
    I used vantage for testing just cus.
    Cooling was a h70 on the card i tested,i say this becuase it seems one scores more and boost' more for some reason?but i'll know more when i test the other one.did that card also and on boot same settings it was .03v lower then this one?
    So anyway i booted first at -15 in bios which was 1.10v boot and 1.32v max peak
    [​IMG]
    I had used -15 1.33v to -22 1.38v max peak to bump up clocks yes more volts prevented lockups along the way but i did not go crasy,just checking it out.
    BTW
    I did not hit ovp/ocp at all at these voltages
    [​IMG]
    I could have sworn the other card was better then this,idk temps were pretty good too
    [​IMG]

...the hotwire is cooler then the card for me today thats pretty niffty no turning vr's but you still get to sodder :nerd:
    I'll get them paired up this week see what i can do

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Think it's time to update your specs....lol

Nice scores. What can you get in SLI?

5. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    They've always done bad in OpenCL benchmarks though, I wouldn't be too worried since it still beats the 580 in those tests. Maybe someone with the 680 here can try folding?

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    There's no compatible F@H client for the GTX680.

Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1881/15/

Brasky was nice enough to find that for me.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've came across two strange issues last night...

The first is a game that didn't recognise the GTX 680 as a card with 2 GB of video memory but one with less than 512 MB. That game is Prototype. Because of this the settings are locked down with 1280x800 the highest selectable resolution and AA is disabled. I Goggled a fix for the screen resolution so the game loads at 1920x1200 but AA is still disabled. I guess this is one example where new tech doesn't play nice with older games.

The second problem is more worrying. Basically I was playing around with the overclocking to see how far my GTX 680 would go and raised the core clock offset to +150 MHz and the memory clock offset to +350 MHz so the card would run near to 1,300 MHz on the core (it hit 1,287 MHz) and 6.7 GHz on the memory. I tested a few games and the overclock seemed to be fine though GPU showed the power would hit 100%, even 102% sometimes!!! However, when I loaded another game, I noticed that the core clock was showing at 705 MHz, which is below its 1,006 MHz default. My first thought was that I'd somehow set Adaptive performance on by mistake in the Global profile settings but I discovered this was not the case. So I loaded a demanding game up and saw the same 705 MHz core clock. I confirmed with GPU-Z's monitor and Afterburner that, yep, the core clock was 705 MHz. I tested some more games and even though the card dropped down to 2D speeds of 324 MHz core/324 MHz memory, in 3D applications it would only hit that 705 MHz on the core. Fortunately, a restart of my PC appeared to fix it.

The concern is though that this is a hardware bug. Did it occur because I was stressing the limits of the card's TDP using 132% Power setting? It certainly wasn't downclocking due to heat as the temperatures were around 65-68 C max. during the games I tested at that point.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. It's strange how that 'stuck' 705 MHz core speed is the same erroneous reading that older versions of GPU-Z return (I was using the latest v0.6.0 by the way to monitor the speed as it shows the Default Core as 1,006 MHz on the Information page) and NVIDIA Inspector v1.9.5.11.

9. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Wow if thats true !! ..... hellofa BUG !

10. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Might have had a quick display driver crash that reduced the clocks, had that with my 460 before and it was stuck on 405mhz until I rebooted. Your memory OC might have been a bit too high?

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well that is possible but there was no game freeze, corruption or error message (the infamous "Driver not responding" one for example) to suggest this was the case. I would have expected to have seen one or more of those if the overclock was too high. It's entirely possible that the GTX 680 is designed with lots of safety procedures in place that kick in before there's a chance of freezes, corruption or crashes. I never encountered this issue until I raised the core/memory clocks further last night so you may well be right.

I guess I'll have to keep my eye out in case this crops up again.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. If it is the core that is clocked too high (since it was that setting which downclocked not the memory) then I'll set the value back to the one I had before that was working perfectly: +125 MHz which gives a core clock speed of around 1.25 GHz.

13. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    Almost makes me wonder if newegg etc only has these as "Exchange only/No refunds" Cause they expected them to end up disappointing us. I'm also really not happy with the 680.. Expected a lot more from them, especially due to the fact that I never spend this much on a card, sadly.. I've gotten a decent OC on it atm sure, but still just lacks that power a lot were expecting..Heck, I'd return this tomorrow if I knew I could and just wait for the GK110..

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The GTX 680 is 15%-70% faster than my GTX 580 from my games and benchmark testings, which is about 25%-30% on average by my estimations. That is as much as I was hoping for. What kind of performance were you expecting, rakunvar?

15. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    Heck I've seen scores with 580s on its heals.. I'm not sure whats up to be honest, but something certainly is. The other day when I was testing it I was getting 600 and something FPS in OCscanners test, today its only 490 range. Then I intentionally crashed the driver and got the "Recovered" popup with only 300 fps.

Gonna try to play with it some more and see if I can figure it out.. Also, Darren what does your 580 score curiosly on 3dmark11?

16. ragtag

ragtag Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 SLI
    I had this myself. Was firing up ArmA 2 and i got a **** performance...max 20fps... I noticed that the card was stuck on 2D. It simply refused to go 3D. It only happend once so i didn't think any of it. As you say, a restart fixed it.

17. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just got mine in today. I haven't had enough time to tinker with it, but I'm really impressed with how it's running. Been testing various games at 2560x1440 and tinkering with different AA levels. Needless to say, I didn't think that the performance this card would be such a drastic improvement over my old HD5970.

I digress. What these cards allow us to do is run games at much higher anti-aliasing levels and resolutions that the previous generation could not handle. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful BFBC2 is when maxed out with 32xCSAA + FXAA at 2560x1440. At those settings, my GTX680 is teetering just above 60 FPS constant.

Sadly, most of the people that buy powerful hardware never makes use of it. IMHO, it would be silly to grab something like a GTX680 or HD7950/7970 and never utilize SSAA or downsampling.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My GTX 580 scored X2127 on the v285.62 drivers whereas my GTX 680 on the v301.10 drivers scores X3635 (with +125 MHz core/+250 MHz memory overclocks)! That's a massive improvement.

3DMark11 Performance Comparison

3DMark11 Extreme Comparison

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    forcing AA at higher levels is indeed awesome. :thumbup:

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Yes sir ^_^