GTX 680 + dedicated PhysX

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by g-man.357, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There are only 3 games that i know of that use physx heavily....
    Batman
    Mafia 2
    Metro

Physx aint worth dedicating a whole card just for 3 games or even 5 games.

2. eddman

eddman Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    You're wrong too. Normal physx in metro uses CPU, whether you've got a geforce or radeon. For GPU physx, you should go into options and enable "Advanced PhysX", but the differences between normal and advanced aren't that much actually, unlike batman.

http://physxinfo.com/data/vreview_metro.php

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    It is possible to put my onboard GPU to handle the physx?

4. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I just changed my physx from the GPU to the CPU and I got an extra 5 frames per second in the Batman benchmark. I guess that means the unreal engine is not bottle-necked by my CPU.

I guess that also means that a small card like the 520 would give me a boost as well.

5. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Well, I had my Physx in the CPU and my FPS were in the lows 30, changed to the GPU and now almost 60 steady!

6. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Does anyone have a gt 520 to try out? If it works well as a physx card, it would probably be the best bang for your buck.

7. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    I have an old 9600gt laying around... do you guys think it would be worth it at all alongside a 680?

8. toasty

toasty Member Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio X
  9. Vacating

Vacating Member

GPU:
    Zotac 680GTX
    I put an MSI 512mb 520 in with my 680GTX. Only thing i tried was 3dmark Vantage, and the overall score dropped by several thousand (42k -> 35k) - pulling the 520 and rerunning w/same settings (except physx card being the 680), score was back to original levels.

Realise this isnt the same as game performance, but with such a huge decrease in the threoretical, just dont have much confidence in the 520 as a dedicated card. But, i am something of a noob here- if you think i should test more (just a little - pretty busy), i dont mind throwing the 520 back in & doing a bit more testing.

Oh yeah - running 301.24

10. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I would appreciate it if you tested a game for me. Just out of curiosity. I know that the 680 is much faster at calculating physx than a 520, but I'm wondering how much off-loading would help or if the 680 really would slow down to wait for the 520. Personally, my testing showed no difference going from 16x to 8x on the pic-e so I know that wouldn't be a factor. Just curious at this point. I'm getting married in 8 weeks so I can't spend anymore money on testing right now myself.

11. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I think, just to make it worth it, you need a least a 560Ti.....Thinkk.....

12. true_electricia

true_electricia New Member

GPU:
    Brand
    congratulations man!! let's now hope your wife is also into games and such
    or else marriage gonna be hard ;d hehe
    i'll try my best to test it tonight and reply back the results

13. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Lucky for me she loves watching me play games. That's how we started dating. Counter-strike 1.3 lol

14. Vacating

Vacating Member

GPU:
    Zotac 680GTX
    So I tested it on Batman Arkham City - only game I have the supports physx. Here are the results 3 runs each using the in-game benchmark tool(highest detail levels in-game & v-sync off; drivers with installation defaults):
    Only 680GTX:
    Avg Min: 16fps
    Avg max: 118fps
    Avg avg: 66fps

with 520 dedicated:
    Avg Min: 9fps
    Avg Max: 90fps
    Avg Avg: 46fps

So..... seems like the 520 doesnt help at all - if anything, makes things worse. Have pulled the 520 out, and now it resides in the spares box. Hope that helps.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I know it's a little OT but I'm a noob when it comes to dedicated PhysX cards :)

Do you plug your "PhysX card" to any available PCI-E slot? Do you have to SLI-bridge them together or do they work "standalone" so to speak?

16. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Thanks for trying your 520. I guess it has to be 550 minimum.

As for installation, you just plug it in. No sli bridge. Then install the driver with both cards in and set which card to use for physx in the cp.

17. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    ^^ I think the minimun should be a 560Ti, a least. But if you have a 680, its not worth it.

18. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I'm interested to see what the low end 6XX would be capable of as a dedicated physx card.

19. Zergle

Zergle Member

GPU:
    GTX780Ti WindForce OC
    I tried using my old GTX-295 as a Physx card for my GTX 680 but I couldn't get it working for the life of me. It would revert to low res windows drivers and crash if i tried reinstalling any drivers. Does anyone know how i can get this working?

20. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    Sory to ressurrect an old tread but i'm kinda same situation.
    My old 570 died and i bought a asus gtx680 4gb. It's a nice card but when i try to enable physx in Hawken (mech game in open beta) it kinda grinds down to a halt.
    2560x1440 i run everything on max without physx around 55-60. But if i eneble it i drop down to around 40 and below. I know this game still is in beta but do anyone think i would be getting better performance with a dedicated physx card?
    I have laying around a old 8800gts, 285gtx and if i get a warranty replacement a gtx570.

I prob should just try but i'm a little lazy atm :p