gtx 670m defected?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by basel, Jun 12, 2012.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Derp, must have missed that one, looked through a few pages as well.

2. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    OMG guess what the manger at the company told me " these temps are common in laptops we cant do anything about it " , i was really furious because that is the best he can come up with , i made him know how frustrated and he told me he will look into it , can you tell me a good come back to slap him with just in case he throws something like that answer at me again??

3. formula72

formula72 Guest

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti
    O for pete sakes, this is a joke!!! Dude, you have one of the best laptops on the market. I have the the Sager NP8170 (Clevo P170HM), which is essentially the 17" model of what you have. The Clevo P150 is a great unit. Here's a little secret, the GPU "will" heat up if you don't activate the fan! On the keyboard, you are supposed to press the "FN" key (Function key) and hold it while simultaneously pressing #1, and the fans will spin up and cool your baby down to a comfortable 75/80*c depending on ambient.

4. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    dude my laptop almost take off when it hit full load , i dont think the fans could get any louder , anyway the company manager finally admitted that they could have received a bad batch of motherboard or gpu and he will replace mine with a bigger screen size but i still have to pay the for the upgarde which i think is pathetic considering the torment i had to go through , ill never buy clevo again , i could have bought an asus with all the money i had to pay for shipping it back and international calls.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Well, the thing with clevo is it's a barebones reseller, so it's mostly just this company that will be the bad experience.

6. formula72

formula72 Guest

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti

I hear ya bro, and I'm sorry you feel this way. Mind my asking who your reseller was? Mine was XoticPC.
    Yes, the fans are activated to full when FN + #1. The clevo/sager bios is a little conservative on automatic fan control. With that said, I do like the Manuel over-ride via a few keyboard shortcuts.
    I purchased a Asus Z70va 6-7 years ago, and I liked it, but.....I couldn't do anything = tinkering. The GPU was soldered onto the motherboard, and I couldn't re-paste it, let alone the CPU. It got extremely hot (100*c), and shut down numerous times playing Counter Strike source.
    The thing with Clevo/Sager is the "expandability" & cooling. You can replace your GPU. You can replace your CPU. Re-pasting is a cinch for both. Cooling is top notch for a modern laptop (as long as you activate the fans). I noticed your idle temps are/where 40*c (which is normal & quite cool for a laptop). Most proprietary notebooks/laptops idle in the high 40's to low 50's, an under load shoot way past 78*c on both GPU & CPU. You will grow to like your rig once the reseller irons out the bugs for you. Good luck, and I wish you the best my friend...Cheers:cheers:

7. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    well i didnt buy it from xoticpc unfortunately , im just gonna wait and see if they actually can resolve the issue before i start spewing bad publicity for them all over the internet , the clevo i bought from them was actually assembled by them , it wasnt from one of the famous clevo brands , is buying a clevo from a brand that isnt famous like sager and malibu a big mistake?

p.s. regarding my earlier post saying the idle temps were 41c , it was a mistake , the idle temps were 50c actually , i might have had a reading while the fans were running at max speed at idle

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What about using MSI AB to create a fan profile that isn't too noisy but is enough to keep your GPU cool?

50c idle seems quite warm to me.....

9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    All my laptops have been idling about 55C CPU and 57 - 65 GPU, they used to be from the more powerful end of the laptop range.

10. formula72

formula72 Guest

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti
    MSI AB fan profile doesn't work on laptop GPU's. You can overclock, but fan profile (Nvidia GPU) doesn't work. Also, you are unable to adjust voltage AFAIK.

My 8170 idle's @ 37-42 (auto fan on/off), and CPU idles @ 34-40*c (ambient dependent). Under load, it's not uncommon to see 70*c +, but over 80*c is unusual. These are damn respectable temps from a laptop and I feel a made the right call going Sager. I did re-paste with IC diamond 24 caret, but I only saw a 1-2 *c drop

11. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    is msi gt70 a good substitute for the clevo p170em?? is it worth paying the price difference?

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    it would be pretty much the same, so yeah, how much of a price difference?

13. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    it is a 235$ price difference, but what i meant is if it is better quality wise.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  14. Cluman

Cluman Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia 675m
    Hi there,

I think i have the same overheating issue as you did (and more). Bought a Sager N9150 w 675m from the US and shipped it to Singapore.

GPU overheats to 96-97 in Kombustor and when i'm playing Diablo 3.

Tried all sorts of measures to lower the temperature (ie foiling, opening up bottom panel to improve ventilation) short of voiding my warranty.

Here's a link of how some guys tried to fix their overheating issue but from the looks of it, it is a design fault. This is a very common problem about Sager notebooks and I had thought that it would be fixed with the latest N9150.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...glected-clevo-solutions-here.html#post8694123

I'm contacting my US reseller and trying to get my laptop fixed in the most cost-effective way possible.

If you managed to find a way to lower your GPU temperature, please share it with me.

15. anonimous

anonimous Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX670m
    I have an MSi GT60, I run my 670m overclocked at 640 MHz, reaches about 65c at 80% load, and goes up to 75 after a long session of BF3. My room temperature is about 23c, well ventilated, and I have the laptop raised, with the intake vents far above the table when I use my external screen. I do run the MSi cooling system at max during all sessions.

If you can, try getting a cooling pad, or just raise the laptop to improve cooling. If you can, run the fans at higher temperatures.

I ran BF3 once without OC or manual fan settings, and the temperature got to about 85c, so I assume anything above 90 is abnormal, and 100c will result in VERY short processor life.