GTX 670 Problem (Gigabyte)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sarv, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Hello Guru3D!

I recently bought a Gigabyte Windforce 3X GTX 670, and I am having trouble with inductor whine (I assume it's the inductors) when it's loaded. On the usual high-fps/high load situations like WEI, Title Menus, or Furmark, it's kind of on the loud side. It's not fill-the-room loud, but definitely pretty noticeable. In regular gaming it's more like a low-level buzz that is persistent. Not sure if it's related to the problem, but when I checked "ASIC Quality" in GPU-Z it said 76%, which sounds pretty cruddy.

I'm wondering if I should RMA it and, if so, what my chances are of getting something worse.

Anyway, thanks for any help people can provide :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    On the newer GPU-Z versions(after 0.6.5+) my ASIC quality dropped from 93/94% to 70.9 as of now.

There are threads on this. Just search google "GPU-Z 0.6.5 ASIC Quality".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  3. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Thank you for your help! OK, so I guess ASIC quality probably isn't related to the coil whine problem. I wasn't planning to overclock as it's more than powerful enough as-is and I prefer saving power (and heat). I just mentioned it in case it was a useful datapoint for one reason or another.

I've seen a few people mention coil whine with this card, but not all. I don't know, though, if the people who don't mention it just can't hear it or don't care, or if I have a genuinely good chance of getting one without coil whine if I RMA it. I'd really rather not RMA it, but on the other hand my GTX260 had coil whine (very nearly the same amount, too) and I was hoping to be free of it.

As a side note, very happy about the temps I'm seeing. Mid-20s idle, mid-40s during a decent amount of gaming and mid-50s under high load, and the fan never even spins up enough for me to really hear it D:

4. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Anyone else have any idea on how common coil whine is w/ GTX 670, particularly on the Gigabyte?

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Of course ASIC quality isn't related to the coil whine problem, it's something else.

I have it too, but sometimes it's not present, it doesn't bother me, so I'm ok with it.

Anyways, if gets to a point where it is really loud and constant and whatever, then yes I'd look into maybe RMAing it.

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    I have the Gigabyte and I don't have any whine. One solution is to change the motherboard, the (often) easier method is to put some sort of framerate limit on the card. Even if you only put a limit of 120fps or so on it it'll help the coil whine tremendously.

7. Arbold

Arbold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    Got a Gigabyte WF 3 GTX 670 too and i don't have any whine.

8. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    i got 2 of them in sli I don't have any whine here...

9. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    I got the same card from Newegg this Thanksgiving. No whine on the card here. Atleast not noticeable with the fan noise.

10. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    OK. So it sounds like I'm an unusual case, and also that other factors maybe weigh in to whine (mention of motherboard). I wonder if my PSU is the problem, since as I mentioned my 260 had it too...very similar whine. It's definitely coming from the card, though. Am I just terribly unlucky?

For those who have the Gigabyte and responded, what are your idle/load temperatures like? Also, just out of curiosity, what do you get for "ASIC quality"?

Thank you all for your help! :)

11. Cnstntgrdnr

Cnstntgrdnr Active Member

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    My asus 670 does it too in areas where the framerate skyrockets (game menus most noticeably). It's not very noticeable however. It happens in dragon age 2 when the in game cutscenes play and on games that are less demanding such as dead space (pretty much constantly since the fps hits the 300 mark occasionally).

The solution is to enable Vsync or some sort of fps limiter. Fixes the problem immediately.

12. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Well if I RMA it goes back to the retailer for the time being, rather than Gigabyte, but it's still a pain to be without it in the interim and I think I'll only have one crack at it before dealing with the manufacturer. So, I was worried about the risk of getting something worse, basically; that happened to me with the 260, repeatedly. Also, on the asic reading thing, I'm just curious what the average is for gigabyte wf3 670s. Since I won't be overclocking it doesn't make much of a difference for me in terms of whether to keep a card.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  13. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Just RMA the card if the noise bothers you, simple as that. I have a 660 Ti from Gigabyte with 81,8% ASIC and no problems(not that ASIC really matters).

14. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Well it's one of those things where it's tolerable...ish. My experience with the prior card was I got to select between some and tremendous. However, it sounds like from the responses here that coil whine is not all that common with the 670 and people frequently get ones with none of it.

15. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    my cards ile @ 31c and @ full load 55 to 60c .....

16. Arbold

Arbold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    idle 32c load 60c

17. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Thanks for all the help guys! One thing I forgot to ask. I only get boost clocks to about 1150-1163MHz. That seems really low for this card. Seems like I can only do maybe +70-100MHz additional, too, with power target set to 112%. What do other people usually get?

18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    My card typically goes to ~65°C under load. 45% fan speed, 1280MHz core frequency.

Try to mess around with the psu in regards of the whine. I know I was able to change the sound, even to the worse, with some clip-on ferrite cores.

PS: I've lapped the heatsink of both mine and a friend's card so far. Both only had good contact with the largest part of two heatpipes, three are there. It helped tremendously to keep the card below 70° at all times, even at max. boost and max power consumption.

19. Sarv

Sarv New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Wow! 1280 on default clocks!? O_O. I can't even get that overclocking. Guess my card is a lemon :(

20. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Don't worry. I'm pretty sure they are using VModded bios most if not all of them as of course most of us here owning a 670/680.
    You could do it too if you wish but please read more on the Modded bios subject before flashing modded bios.
    Also it helps a lot by listing your complete specs so other members can see.
    PSU, RAM brands/models etc etc..

Also on the coil whine thing, as others said, its mostly either live with it if its not bothering you too much or having any problems with the card or go through the RMA process. It's entirely up to you.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012