GTX 670 or ATI 7970 ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by asimriz, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Sounds like a good deal to me. First week of February grab a card with a lifetime warranty. Chances are you'll be able to step up, and you can't go wrong with the aforementioned warranty either. In the mean time you rid yourself of the stuttering that's spoiling your gaming.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Makes a lot of sense.. ugh tough call

I did install the 13.2 betas as well as the 13.1, both experience the same performance in fc3. I play without cd and its nice and smooth, just lower framerate.
    Really annoying since I can play Mass Effect 3 and it plays literally perfect..

I do wanna jump and grab the 670 right away.. perhaps I should just pickup the pny for 300 and then sell it when I want to upgrade, or grab another for sli.. assuming of course that sli will work better than cf.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Mass Effect 3 is an Unreal 3 game, will run on just about anything short of a toaster.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    True that.. guess I shouldn't have the same expectations on other games since they all use a variety of engines.

As an update, I did grab the PNY 670 yesterday. with the rebate I will have gotten it for $300 which I thought was a great deal.
    Performance on it is better than I expected.. I thought I would get around the same performance as the CF 6870, but it actually outperforms it.. especially in Far Cry 3 which I'm very happy with.

I actually took the Twin Turbo Pro that I had on the 6870 and put it on the 670 even though it doesn't actually fit. But with a bit of modification I have it on there and it idles the card at 36 and peaks it around 60 which I'm thrilled with. With the stock cooler, not only was there a horrible buzz but it would peak out at around 80c+

Overall very happy with it.. should be a great stopgap card till newer ones come out.

All that said, would anyone be so kind as to direct me what kind of safe voltages I could throw to this card and safe oc values? Doesn't seem like temps will be too much of a problem but as I'm not really familiar with oc capabilities on this card, I could use some advice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    thats why I adviced against getting a reference 670. you fixed that problem with the cooler. what are your boost speeds?

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    boost speeds? When I am playing in a game and monitoring the numbers with Afterburner it appears that the core is up at 1130+. Memory sits around 3000 if I remember correctly.

Apologies on this, I'm not as knowledgeable with the new Geforce cards.. been with Radeons for a while. :)

Edit: I'm enlightening myself here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I dont know much, but I think if you increase your power target to the max it will allow a higher boost clock and or oc, people who have increased the ram speed to 7000+ got good gains. I wont know much more until the 700 series is out. I`m sure kepler owners will help you out

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Fair enough.. I should probably educate myself a bit more before I go asking about stuff I don't know about.
    Appreciate the help!

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    1.2150 is the max voltage for kepler. No way around that, and is only used under boost. You need to flash bios to get that 1.21 volts, default max is 1.18~ volts iirc. With that voltage you should be able to hit 1200mhz give or take

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ cool, thanks for the info.

11. army_cadet

army_cadet Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte g1 980
    that mod you done is pretty neat, it would be nice if you could get some pictures up, would be nice to see your mod work :D enjoy your card.

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Edit: I should mention that my mod work is pretty spotty up front

With cooler removed I could only align up two of the four mounting holes but fortunately the two screws at hand tightness are able to keep the heatsink flush enough without torqueing the pcb too much. I checked and made sure that the paste spread evenly and was forced to mount the ramsink with bands until I grab some tape for it.

It does weigh the card down because of the small pcb which I had expected, so I elected to brace it a bit with an eraser pen I had lying around :wanker:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/ScoobyDooby11/Card5_zps480c3c02.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/ScoobyDooby11/Card4_zps2eb2557c.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/ScoobyDooby11/Card3_zps3f289587.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  13. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Hmmm interesting direction this topic has swayed to :p Thank you everyone for ALL ur comments & expertise.....

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ my apologies for thread crapping OP.. I prefer trying to keep the boards clean if possible and avoid making redundant threads. Hope you don't mind :)

15. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    I've decided on an MSI GTX 680 Lightning :D Wot r people's thoughts on that ? I just don't wana go ATI/AMD. Sorry abt that :p I've always had an NVIDIA card. Not only that but their drivers r fecking amazing, very stable & reliable... I'm not too confident abt the ATI/AMD drivers unfortunately...

16. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    Amd is getting better with their drivers. I went ATI this time around(Nvidia fanboy). The 13.1 is good and 13.2beta is really smooth and nice. AMDs hardware is faster then Nvidia on paper. Nvidia has better mathematics. That and you might(like me) and up with a lock voltage card:( I would go Nvidia.

17. leopr

leopr Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    Check out the review of the EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 2GB (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_670_FTW_Signature_2/30.html), for example on BF3 only when the 670 is heavily overclocked is capable of outperforming a stock 7970 GHZ Edition.

There is no reason to fight, the 7970 is the fastest single-gpu of the market, before the CAT 12.11 it was the 680 but the past is the past...

[​IMG]

18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    don't be fooled minimum frames is what's important let's see some minimum frames here.

19. leopr

leopr Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    Here you have one review showing min-fps:

7970 (non GHZ with stock speeds) vs EVGA 670 FTW SIG2:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    exactly the kinda benchies we need to see, good job, leopr!