GTX 660 Ti question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Marco Borsato, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Marco Borsato

Marco Borsato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    So I recently bought myself a MSI GTX 660 Ti PE and I'm a bit concerned about the fact that my core clock hits 1229 while under heavy load. I haven't overclocked it or anything and according to GPU-z my boost clock should only be about 1098, the reason I'm concerned is because there is a squealing noise coming from the card when it's stressed out and at maximum frequency. The card seems to be working just fine since everything seems to be working correctly and I left my computer running overnight looping 3DMark 11 to see if it would cause instabilty or any crashes and this morning it was still running fine. I really want to know if I should be worried about the squealing noise and if the high core clock is normal as I'm pretty sure I haven't adjusted any clock speeds what so ever. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm pretty new to kepler as I had 2 6950's before this card.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The 1229 MHz is the boost clock, depending on workload vs power enveloppe it throttles dynamically up and down.

The coil noise is a little bit substandard, however not uncommon. Only if it really bothers you I'd swap out the card.

3. kakik09

kakik09 Active Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! SLI
    I'm pretty sure that squealing noise is called coil whine. The card must be throttling upwards because it realizes that the temperature still has room to spare. What were you doing anyway? Furmark?

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    As Hilbert said.

basically with the 600 series, the clocks are dynamically adjusted based on the power limit that is set.

if your card does not reach its target power limit in a particular game at the preset clocks, it can dynamically clock up until it reaches the power limit.

conversely, if your card exceeds its power limit in a particular game/benchmark (think something stressful like furmark or crysis), it can dynamically clock down to the base clock.

temperature is another factor affecting the maximum dynamic clock. the cooler you can keep the card, the higher it can clock within the power limit.

5. Marco Borsato

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks a lot for the quick responses, glad to know the card is behaving normal. As for the coil whine, it isn't that bad and it really only occurs under heavy load and doesn't (afaik) affect performance in any way. The thing is my computer is almost completely silent and the noise is definitely audible when it's there but since the card is working properly there is no need to RMA and if it fails I could still send it back easily. Thanks again guys! :)

6. Marco Borsato

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    Yeah I was actually shocked when I saw that core clock I really thought something bad was going on as everything was at stock settings but all seems fine, card seems to be a bad ass overclocker! I have the exact same BIOS version according to GPU-z, very happy with this gpu. :)

7. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    While we are on this topics. Finally decided to go for 660ti, however whats its like vs 7950?

8. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Upgrading from a 4870 you'd see huge performance increase with either cards. Objectively the 7950 has more grunt on paper but real life performance varies a lot. If you play a lot of Battlefield 3 then going Nvidia is a good choice.

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea i want to go change to Nvidia tbh. I do play it now and then but i ant enjoy the beauty of the game coz of old GPU :( Guess 660ti it is :)