GTX 660 SLI or GTX 680

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blue_kid, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Sharky

Sharky Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    What's wrong with SLI? Friend of mine is running 2x670's and hasn't had an issue.

2. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    2 670s are considered high end. What resolution is your friend running at?

4. deluxe

deluxe Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Go for the 670 or 680.

My SLI story: ;)
    I went for 2 460's because that was slightly faster than a 480, but in the end I wish I had taken a high-end single card.
    SLI is nice, but there are issues like support when a new game releases, noise, heat and power usage.
    In some games it takes nvidia (but also amd) forever to get rid of the SLI issues, like BFBC2.
    And when my 460's became obsolete, all I could do is get rid of them both.
    But if I had taken 1 fast card, I could just add a cheap second hand card.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

5. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    ^
    sound advice

6. Sharky

Sharky Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    1920x1200. Don't see what that has to do with a smooth multi-GPU experience?

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Your friend is breaking 60FPS on almost all games anyways...we can't judge smoothness in that scenario. Try this: lower the 670s clockspeeds in order to get under 60FPS with both cards' GPU usage @99%, and try for yourself whether it's as smooth as a single card or not.

8. Apocalyptic God

Apocalyptic God Member

GPU:
    GTX 660Ti 2xSLI
    Hey everyone. I have been around the vid card wars since my 3DFX days. I have to say to all those recommending picking up a second GTX680 "on the cheap" thats not going to happen. It has never happened in my experience. When the 780 series is released these cards in the high end never take a magical drop. You might find a diamond in the rough on ebay or craigs list for $250 to 300, but brand new it will still cost you a year or two later either the same or more because of them being EOL. 580's are still expensive. 480's became "cheap" and what was left did go fast and for only $200.

Seems like a big risk to wait that long when 2 reference PNY 660 Ti can be had now at BB for $278 a piece(even cheaper if you have BB reward zone certificates) and overclock to 1050mhz-1100mhz like the reference Nvidia brand sold there. I am getting a second one this weekend and that will be it for 2 years. I ran a GTX 470 with everything on high at 1920 x 1080 in BF3, Diablo 3, all steam games i had till Borderlands 2 made me upgrade finally. If you are strapped for cash or can't see spending $800-1000 in video cards, the GTX 660Ti series is a very good solution.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    people wont give up for DUAL GPU solutions,

and go gaming section and Driv er section, u can easily see whining about SLI profile of bla bla game wont run good. SLI doenst work at all, SLI is bla bla bla moan bla bla cry, bla bla whine.

stop using DUAL GPU solutions if u can pls. just buy an 680 and it will deal with anything u throw at it..iam happy with it at least. but if u go dual, dont whine at the forums about low performance, non available profiles, sht driver support.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I've been using SLI sinds gtx295's, and i've been in love with SLI ever since.

I have never been in that situation that a game isn't working with SLI.

I think it just depends on the persons configuration/drivers.
    Or just bad luck.