GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    he said this to me
    "Seriously, if there is anyone spreading misinformation it is you as you are just spewing some random comment and when asked for the data to back it up you just say we are believing misinformation. That is total bunk. So provide it or STFU"

thats why i said what i said

i only change the very bad spelling join him he is on a sinking ship

i had to add the sracastic thing cus it did not get across...what you dont think i know the hottest part of a vga?
    so now there is monitoring on the 590 card for vrm? GTFO!!!!!!!!
    you know what you guys are way to smart for me you prove it over and over...
    post more crap bro join the club

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    You seemed to assert there was never a card that had VRM temp monitor. Your statement was ambiguous and it wasn't until I provided proof that cards do in fact have VRM temp monitors did you or someone else point out the 4xx and 5xx cards do not have VRM temps.

Even if you meant 4xx/5xx cards you should have stated as such. While I didn't know that 4xx/5xx suddenly stopped including VRM temp monitors, you could have simply avoided this whole thing by instead of calling people "misinformed" by stating.

5xx cards don't have VRM temp monitors thus someone can't report a difference between reported temps and real temps (show by thermal camera). You didn't.

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)

A sinking ship? You haven't provided any information to counter problems with weak PWM. You also haven't provided any documentation other than an assertion that VRM's are "Good" until 160C. The burden of proof is on you.

Edit* the only information I can find on temps for VRM is that on the 5870's the VRM's would go into thermal protection mode and throttle at 120C. I really don't see how they are going to be able to handle 160C after 1 more generation. And currently if the backplate is showing 120C, based on conductivity and distance the VRMs are at least 130-140C.

Edit2* I've also found someone on overclockers.net reporting using infrared thermometer to measure VRM temps on a 460 and they also report them being able to handle 120C max.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    You dont seem to get it.
    You accuse others of posting bunk, when you are doing it yourself.
    When asked to qualify it, you accuse him of posting bunk as well, when all he did was ask you to qualify what you had said.
    You make things up as you go along and cannot qualify what you post.
    To top it, you are arrogant.

No you didnt, you changed the meaning of what you had posted as I described in the post you are replying to.

No you added that after, to try and duck the questions you were being asked.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    what are we talking about here?5xx cards not 2xx(thats the last series that did) you clearly dont know about the new nv cards at all.
    you still want some?

i did not mean the 59x2 was reporting wrong vrm temps,i meant its the same high assed temps
    handle 120c dying 160c+++ sell it at 105c

hey i'm not nv i did not build it ok the thing is weak in the knees sry???
    I would have cancelled it tbh to work on a flex pad or something???

ok your right these cards have vrm moitoring there you happy?i jioned the spew club now i should fit right in.

both of you guy are sinking down throw the life perservers man over board :wanker:

if you dont know the simple things like the lack of monitoring then gtfo and stop your tring to face save

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    I think it's safe to just say this.

1. Use the correct driver.

2. Don't OC the GTX 590 ( why bother it's 2 GPU's already, so it's kinda pointless) to rediculous levels, and certainly do not OV.

3. If you want to break the benchmark records you'd be running GTX 580 SLI of some sort anyway.

4. This card seems geared to Gamers, not extreme benchers.

7. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Here is some info on the VRM bottleneck on a AMD / ATI 5970. Read carefuly , there is also a overcurrent protection on the ATI cards (driver related).http://www.anandtech.com/show/3590

So don't blow this out of proportion , bad drivers like some reviewers used (and maybe NVIDIA did not jump fast enough on the problem but driver 267.84 was released 24th and now there is even a newer one 276.85 ) did cause the problem.

So if AMD made the same error the same thing would happen.

The temps that a VRM can take depends on what make it is , up to 160°C is common on the high-end GPU's. Just use google.

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    if the vrm are good.

9. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    do the new drivers have power management for gtx 480 ? I hope not i want power. 480 may be old school now but its OC beast that won't break down like the 5 series ..... Have to be asked is Nvidia using cheap parts ?

10. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    LOL always the joker.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nvidia's GTX 590 - TWIMTBU

The Way Its Meant To Blow Up

:D

12. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    So anything other than a specific driver will kill your card? That seems like a big engineering oversight to have zero hardware current control.

13. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    No because the powerdraw limiter is a hardware placed on the card and controlled by the driver. This "powerdraw limiter hardware" is not placed on the GTX480.
    Here some info on it : http://www.geeks3d.com/20101109/nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-the-anti-furmark-dx11-card/

And the GTX5..series can take a oc like most cards , my GTX570's do 1000/2000/2200 (4400)MHz with no problems.
    Just don't disable the powerdraw limiter.

Don't let them foul you , even the ATI cards have a powerdraw limiter .

I don't know why it's a big deal when NVIDIA does the same thing.
    AMD started this with the 5... series there first DX11 cards.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    What?

What? x2

No, 4xx/5xx do not have VRM monitoring. All other cards have it.

You have yet to provide information that VRMs are ok at 160C+ like you claim. You have yet to provide any information that counters the assertion by many others that the PWM are weak causing them to break/pop.

I have already posted information that 120C was the max temp for both ATI and Nvidia's prior generation of VRM and that the backplate is 120C giving the VRM's at temperatures of 130-140C at minimum.

Whether 4xx/5xx cards have VRM monitoring or not has no bearing on any of these. Apparently because you was aware of this, you must be right about everything about video cards and we should just believe you because you say so, right? Get over yourself.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Because the driver that ships with the cards can kill them?

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    You are going to have to provide more evidence than "just use google" as I tried to search max VRM temps and I only found that both previous generation of ATI/Nvidia was 120C.

I have found:

1) No evidence that any VRM's are designed to operate without problems at 160C (short or long term)

2) No evidence that if such VRM's exist they are being used in GTX 590

We are simply asking to PROVIDE the data. Then we can actually take a look at the evidence and discover the truth. I know my 4870X2 had VRM cooling issues and it lead it to fail twice leaving with me without a video card outside of warranty. And in my opinion it was a design flaw that AMD/ATI was aware of.

17. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    I'm not talking about the mistake NVIDIA made with the drivers , I was talking about the powerdraw limiter and answering macdaddy.

Please don't take my words out of the contect , that way we can keep going on all day and night. And it's party/Beer time that is more important.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    My bad :)

19. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Ask this company http://www.chilsemi.com/about-chil/

Hope you get some answers.