1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I've seen other people and other webpages with data showing the backplate being hotter than what the VRM is being reported. The only one who is saying the opposite is you and I asked for your evidence or data that supports your claim.

Seriously, if there is anyone spreading misinformation it is you as you are just spewing some random comment and when asked for the data to back it up you just say we are believing misinformation. That is total bunk. So provide it or STFU.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Look they are far from stupid people,they are well respected review dudes.

One thing thuo why only in one case was someone using a dmm to read voltages(which was reported wrong by a reviewer on xs under -.10)?
    matose-"1.05v set by software is really 1.1v measured with a DMM"

i always backup software by reading with dmm first ALWAYS.
    so when some1 thinks its all fine&dandy putting in 1.15v bam$ 1.25 no ocp boom...

this is spec but maybe unlocked bios may have got around these cards are suppose to be capped at 1.05v. maybe an asus cards set factory higher they sometimes do?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Agreed, Cowie justify your posts.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you are fos there is NO vrm software moitoring avalible so gtfo
    more bs by you today

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, ATi fanboys just like to try score a win anyway they can. It's a rare event for them. :p

But a driver issue, eh? Good to know, and it's not NVIDIA's fault Zotac ****ed up with the wrong drivers.

NVIDIA also said they'd RMA all the cards people ****ed up. I also agree that OC'ing is your own fault if it dies, though, even with this driver glitch.

So to repeat again, since that other page got pushed off

Quote from a review of GTX590:

Using MSI Afterburner I increased the voltage by 75mV and bumping up the Core speeds to 753Mhz which resulted in an incredible score of 9816 on 3DMark 11 (p). Hoping to hit the 10k mark, I decided to bump the voltage to 125mV with Core speeds of 804Mhz. As 3DMark 11 was coming to a close, the whole system shutdown and I could see smoke coming out of the power cable connectors.

As the smell of burnt plastic and metal faded, I contacted Nvidia to try and see what happened. The GTX 590 should have been able to either handle the voltage increase, or simply failed to a BSOD or crashed the system. I certainly didn’t expect it to die on me. Turns out the drivers provided by Zotac were 267.52 and the latest drivers from Nvidia, 267.71, have some fail-safe measures to protect the GTX 590 against over-voltage. So remember folks, a simple driver update can be the deciding factor between the life and death of a graphics card when you’re pushing it to the limits. Always update your drivers.

6. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    So pictures like these (the first I found and there are hundreds if not thousands) of the VRM temps of an Nvidia card is fabricated in photoshop?

[​IMG]

I don't know what the eff you are smoking but seriously, no software can read VRM temps? Such assertions are ridiculously on a place like Guru3d. I don't purposely try to sound like a dick but you are being asinine.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    my post was in comment to rflair stating that the temps were wrong,in sarcastic retort i said oh the monitoring is wrong ,fully well knowing that (as you said)the hotter part is not the core its the vrm area.
    now knowing this and having a 59x2 which does have software monitoring for the vrm area.
    loaded i'd see 110c sames as the 590 is what i was trying to say.. ok got it?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    get the **** out you have no clue try to go get software for 4xx 5xx cards you dumbass you are adding to you being a tart all by yourself

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    what you got bro bring it!!

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you only have gpu temp monitoring with nvidia 5 series cards. no vrm, ambient, memory etc. this is fact

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't see how this calls for calling people fanboys. My 4870X2 and it's replacements died because of insufficient cooling of the VRM's and have an entire thread dedicated to it.

Having high VRM temps are evident of poor cooling design regardless of the manufacturer. I know I was so upset by what happened with my X2 (the replacement out of warranty) I made sure I bought another card with lifetime warranty.

There seems to be two issues with the 590, it has an issue keeping VRM's cool and seems to have weak PWM causing people to increase the voltage to blow the card. From what I have read this is a carry over problems with some 570's that big overclockers have mentioned.

It is not fanboyish to point this out, personally if I was going with Nvidia I would go with 580SLI rather than a 590. While the 590 runs slightly warmer, but is quite quieter than the 6990 the 580 SLI setup has more OC headroom and doesn't dump the hot air back in the system (exasperating the overheating of the VRMs) like either dual GPU card.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    gtfo you gotta eat crow not me lol

LOL 10000 all over the net lol

bot
    no 1 used a dmm ab was off its setting .+100 mv to real he he

13. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    Nah man was just saying the VRM area is very hot at stock, so kicking up the voltage or speed to much will only make this area much hotter.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    cowie dont feed the ati fanbois. there just here to rub it in on nvidia owners. I could of done that to them with the x1900 series the 2000 series 3000 series etc. the did put out some god awful products in the past. cpu wise the original phenoms lol

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Both you and cowie are right there are no VRM monitors on the 5xx series of cards, of which I was unaware. However, that only changes anyone's assertion that the reported temps vs what is shown with temp gun is invalid.

It doesn't change that people are having reported issues with PWM or that the VRM's and the backplate are hot. Your (cowie) own link showed 111-120C on the backplate where the VRM reside. As I stated above this is a serious flaw and one that killed my 4870X2s.

16. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI
    sigh...take a ****ing chill pill guys,

seriously.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok fair enuff but i think you know why the backside reading was higher then core temps now
    honestly i think thats why nv dont want vrm's with software temp features(plu ust be cheaper?) lol

@tommy
    no biggie

18. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX570 X 4GB
    You made my day! :roll: :roll: :roll:

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    No you didnt, you edited your post.
    Originally it said that the hottest part of the card must be the GPU defacto.
    You were being serious in your post, there wasnt a hint of sarcasm.
    I'm not sure if you know what sarcasm is.

This is typical of your replies:
    He asked you to qualify what you had posted, your reply was to abuse him and then provide a bs answer that doesnt answer the question.

People who quizzed your comments were told they are providing misinformation and accused of posting crap.
    Take a look at yourself.

You even edit previous posts to hide your own misinformation.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    nah they are rated high like 160c crasy but true if you want to look it up to be exact?but its crasy high rated.

like i said since i got my first 4xx card nv dont want you to have heart attack knowing how hot the vrm's do get.

speaking of vrm monitoring, it will became avalible for the first time on the fermi on 580 lighting...heart meds not inclued lol