GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    NVIDIA should recall jack ****.

It's over-clocking improperly that is doing this, not an issue with the card itself.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Red guerilla feels its entitled to be enraged, after all the years they've been bullied.

With all the hysteria and lies its hard as hell to gather any certain piece of information.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Even if thats the case which it might be...it could hurt them sometime down the line.
    they did not make that many so it wont hurt just to stop selling them and move on no recall needed.
    remember this is not a money making card for them.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    news flash it happens with default clocks ingame.

i saw 2 reporting it with stock clocks and both were long time forum members, not some "noobs" who try to spread false rumors..one played Shogun2 and all the sudden poof.:pc1:

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nvidia should deny everything!

IMHO they don't have **** on us:banana:

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I hope no one thinks i'm jumping the gun on this but

MythBusters

Finding: PLAUSIBLE

its not like i cant get a 6990 to burn up like cheech and chong at a rock concert but just to say... either these retails card guys tried hard to kill them or the cards are not fit for purpose.
    i would have hurt them just the same to lock all ovrclocking and volt adding too.. it looks like they have should have done that so they could have said sorry that was the protection you had to go around it.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What about ur forum fellow W1zz? Since when does he pushes dual GPU cards almost 30% overvolted in Furmark/3DMark with what seems most likely /gtx500OCP or sumtin

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    wow this thread is still going strong.

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    No, that isn't facts. People have had their card "blow up" without any OC or Voltage increase, just plain stock.

There is something wrong with the cards, as good as card as it is (pretty much equal with the 6990) or as good as you want it to be it has a serious problem. At first I thought the bios is a good sign, as it is a fix that could prevent serious damage to the card.

However, now that I think about the most likely scenario is it is a manufacturing defect or design flaw. There can only be a remote possibility the flaw is due to bios error, cards with bios errors don't burn up like these are and definitely not a stock values.

The only conclusion that supports the facts the best is that there is either something wrong with the PCB or something like a voltage/amp/current regulator and while issuing bios may "prevent" some cards from burning up, if it is in fact faulty hardware then all the bios will do is delay when the card burns up. Most certainly shorten its lifespan.

As someone else has pointed out, Nvidia would take heat for recalling the cards out there right now, but I would certainly respect Nvidia more if they did the right thing, which would be to issue a recall and be open and honest about the matter. From Nvidia's past behavior I do not expect them to do that though, it took a **** storm from evil Charlie and screaming OEMs to cover the bump gate issue. There were hundreds of thousands effected customers in that one and at best a few thousand if this 590 issue goes out of hand. My bet is Nvidia is going to try to throw this under the rug as best they can, leaving AIB partners like XFX, Asus, MSI to clean up the mess.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    xfx doesnt make nvidia cards anymore. all I have seen are evga and asus models

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Stukov
    Problem with reaching anyn conclusion on this is the uncertainty and the size of the input data, and the only thing certain is the current hysteria caused by 5 reviewers killing their cards.

You can pretend all u want u KNOW what's the current deal, but rly u don't.

What would be expected percentage of the ppl that tried unreasonably high OC/OV?
    How many reported stock after killing the card in such manner?
    Do all cards get to their user in a flawless condition?
    Unless you know the volumes, and the real data you can just keep guesing.

BTW ur the "higher temps than reported" miss-information guy, right :)

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Unlike most of the cards :wanker:

As per above, MSI make them too, so has anyone noticed a trend of certain brands being better or worse than others?

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    you sure? all I have seen so far is evga and asus at least in NA

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    apparently it does for Asia market, i saw one 460gtx XFX user here @guru3d.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    he knows as much as you actually more, because your here just to stir the thing and complain if someone tries to bash nvidia.. Typical nv fanatic:wanker:

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    zotac goes bang

Well, it had to happen to someone here and it finally has.

Zotac GTX 590 *** AT DEFAULT VOLTAGE ***

BANG!!!!!

I'm so F*****G P****D at this moment I could scream. I bought it from another site on the day of release. It turned up Saturday, so by that time I'd seen and read the whole fiasco on the web with the cards dying... so naturally I said to myself, "Don't be an idiot, give it a few days before you try clocking it."
    Well it's now Monday night and while running 3dMark11 an hour ago I noticed it got really quiet... I leapt for the psu cable. But no. Crack! Poof! Stinking smoke!

I really thought my whole system was gone, the flash was that bright. Thankfully no, I stuck in an old 8800gtx I had and everything booted fine. But the GTX590 is toast, part of the pcb has melted around what looked like a small group of resistors in the lower middle of the card, which have blown, and there's a scorch mark on the other side of the card coming out from under the cooler shroud down to the pci-e fingers.

Believe me the RMA email I've just sent off to E***er was less than gentlemanly. That scared the ever loving c**p out of me. How the hell did Nvidia think they could ship these cards in this state!

PS. Before anyone asks, I dont have a camera, and I've already stuck the bloody thing back in its box for when I get my RMA number tomorrow. Good Riddance!!!

head over to overclockers co uk forum

18. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    man I read this days ago, probably in this same thread lol

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    guys from the guy of my upper post

Originally Posted by Greg Brown [​IMG]
    It was my first overclock on the card, which was why I was running 3dMark11 on loop to check stability. The gpu clock was at 650Mhz and memory at 3600Mhz (1800Mhz in MSI Afterburner) so I'd barely started overclocking the card. After the horror stories going around the net I'd left 'voltage change' turned off in Afterburner so the card was running at its default 0.913v. It was part way through it's eighth run through of 3dmark when the fan noise started getting quieter and quieter. The instant the card went silent, I knew, but I couldn't leap across to the psu fast enough to yank the cable. Bang! Flash! Smoke!

The driver was v267.84, downloaded Wednesday from Nvidias site.

PS. I'd run Heaven for an hour at stock clocks just before doing the above.