GTX 590 coming in February....apparently....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sean_skroht, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    That'll lead to a bigger meltdown than Chernobyl. :p At least until watercooling blocks are available - then people who thought AMD's dual GPU card was drawing a lot of power will be in for a shock. But it'll be very, very fast.

2. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm guessing that the GTX 590 won't outclass the HD 6990 due to the downclocked specs plus it is likely to be more expensive, have higher power requirements and it lacks the extra 512 MB per GPU that the AMD card has.

For NVIDIA owners it will be an easy choice I suppose, particularly if they only have one PCI-E slot, but I suspect that AMD will retain the fastest single graphics card award myself.

4. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    I wouldn't get too up in arms about the seemingly low clock speeds being reported by CPU-Z etc etc.

This is not the first time we've seen a PC component deliberately down clocked, and usually it's been done to allow (and even encourage) overclocking. I'm pretty certain that the GTX 590 will have enough headroom to allow easy overclocking to AT LEAST GTX 570 speeds. Have a look at the size of the fan of the 590 compared to the 6990, it's much bigger indeed.

One of the major criticisms of the 6990 was the inadequate performance of it's detrimentally undersized fan, leading to hotter temperatures and louder fan noise. I'm confident we'll see a different scenario with the 590. I don't think nVidia would be releasing the 590 without some fore-thought into it's capacity. Then again I'm probably being too positive about it all when in actual fact the 590 could be doomed to fail.

The only other thing I'm a tad worried about is how much us poor Aussies will get slugged over the US counterparts. We always have to pay more even though our dollar is pretty much one for one with the US dollar at the moment.

5. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    the fan is not undersized and not innneffective, and i can tell you he do his job really well, but despite sound .... look the 580, they use the same type of it on reference design ...

it's a lateral pushing fan, when the one as on the GTX590 are vertical pushing fan..... the problem of the fans of the 6990 or GTX580 is when you push the rpm, they become incredibly louder, but they are really effective on horizontal air pressure for cool fin of coolers as you find on the 6970-580-6900 ( vapor chambers . ). specially installed on the center of 2 vapor chambers for eject air through 2 vapor chambers on 2 opposite directions .

It's a different form of fans, who have his pro and his con... this difference is easy to see when you watch thoses 2 fans without the block covers.

Now.. Nvidia have make the choice to resize the vapor chambers of the 590 for don't increase too much the size of the card ( AMD have keep large and big vapor chambers ) ... this can be a good choice and smaller and quieter card can be appealing for some .....

6. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    I'm not an expert on this but I may have to disagree with you on that one. While the AMD fan is good for sucking air horizontally through the fins, what you find on a card like the 6990 is that the fan will suck air through from one end of the card out through to the other end, so what you get is hot air from one chamber being sucked through to the other chamber. While this type of fan works well on a single GPU card where it can suck cool air from the front to cool the chamber, it does not work well for a dual GPU card. This is evidenced by the fact that some reviewers have had concerns over the 6990 cooling. The one advantage to this, though, is that most of your hot air would get sucked out the back.

The advantage of the vertical push fan is that it will suck up air from the centre and push out air to either end of the card minimizing hot air from one chamber blowing onto the other. The disadvantage to this is that you would have some hot air being blown into the case. Either way, I think the 590 fan is going to push more air.

7. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    let me say it again, 590 vs 6990 is a fight between quality and performance...

nvidia has the quality(dx11 tess,3d vision,build quality + better fan/less noise)

but amd will dominate in performance, even on water both cards have differences...i believe nvidia for first time will release a cheaper card than amd...

anyway, i prefer nvidia because of superb driver support, with less "faults"...;)

8. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    what are you are you talking about ? ... normal fan have increased pressure in axe front ( vertical )... the blower fan ( or laminar fan type )have increased pressure in horizontal axed ... the air is pulled on center axe and pushed in vertical axe then ..., when normal fan pull the air from vertical axe and push it in a cone who can only be ( in center axed vertically ).

About pushing the air in front and back, the result will be the same on the 590 as the fan used is in center of the cards and will push the air on both side ( but not horizontally only ) what i was respond about is the size don't matter as the 2 fans used are completely different form factor ..... size don't matter with this 2 different types of fan ( laminar horizontal and horizontal ), the big difference can be the noise, outside the laminar one can deal with higher rpm and pressure vs the first one ..

GTX580 fan.
    [​IMG]
    HD6990 fan.
    [​IMG]

listen some respond i can say so the GTX580 fan is as bad is the 6970 or 6990 fans ... lol.

Again this type of fan difference is not the effectiveness ( laminar one are better, and it's why they are used in all the industry, whatever is the type of fluid used, but the difference is the sound.... the classic " fan vertical type " is better at average rpm sound wise but really bad at high rpm as most pressure is lost due to the cone of pressure, when the "Blower" ( or laminar ) start to be exponentially loud at high rpm but have an extremely high pressure of air and cooling of surface due to the only fact they direct the air in a perfect way in the zone who need to be cooled... "At same time their "cooling effectivness" ( it's really an image as we speak about a fan ), is exponential too with the rpm, something is impossible with standard fan ..

In addition the size of this type of laminar fan, ( or pump for water, or for any fluid ) is absolutely not dimensionned in function of the pressure, or temps, but only on the extraction size ( tube, etc ) .... and this space size determine the rpm ..

9. cassano99

cassano99 New Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 480@Default
    great !!!

10. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    ^^ nerds above is too busy to argue and missed out the toolbox of OWNAGE!

11. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    lmao

12. ssc

ssc Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce gtx 480
    But 14.2% performance hit will be noticable in bench graphs.

GTX 580 SLI@612mhz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GTX 580 SLI@752mhz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  14. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Max. resolution 1920x1200 and Crysis: Warhead without AA? :3eyes:

15. ssc

ssc Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce gtx 480
    All the games have twimtb logo.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, think we are pretty sure now that the 6990 will be the faster stock card, though it could be close up to 19x12.

I hate seeing benchmarks like the one above, the newest game there is SFIV, which as most of us know could run on even a low end PC.

The one thing im most curious about is how much it can overclock, and how much it will cost.

17. Ourasi

Ourasi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    That bench is wrong in so many ways, it's beyond words... Use a slow CPU and Physx turned on in Vantage, is just one of the lovely ways to mess up. If you take a look at guru3d's FarCry2 bench at same settings (as you see with GTX580 numbers@104fps with faster CPU) it's not even close to reality, hackjob by someone this thing..

18. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
  19. RSharpe

RSharpe Active Member

GPU:
    2 Palit GTX 580 3GB, SLI
    Or a smartphone!

20. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU: