GTX 580 vs. HD6970 -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lozeritis, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Someone, somewhere once said that waiting is the hardest part... :cry:

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    There is HIGH chance that HD6970 will be faster than GTX580.

Just look how HD6870 can stand up to HD5870 with much less shaders.

3. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    I was thinking the same thing but now im not so sure anymore.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-hd6970-update-and-performance-indicators/

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

5. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I see 6970 in worst case around 5% below GTX 580 (in some kickin' his ass really hard:3eyes:) but ca. 20%...25% cheaper. Again facepalm to nvidia which is good. Their GTX580 is waaaay overpriced if you make a balance fps/watt which is the most important factor for me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    NVIDIA cards have always been expensive but you pay the premium for extras features such as PhysX and CUDA IMO.

I paid £350 each for my two Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X cards back in March and the GTX 580 only costs £35 more yet is significantly faster than a single HD 5870 plus has 50% more video RAM. With that in mind, either both manufacturers make expensive cards or both are good value! Take your pick! ;)

7. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Sorry for being a noob , Is the 6970 going to be x2 6870's ? like the 5970 was x2 5870's?

Please post some more benchmarks on the 6970(I would like to see a 5970,580,6970 showdown).

Thanks

8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    6970 is a single GPU solution. Antilles 6990 (dual Cayman GPU solution) will arrive Q1 2010 (similar to 5970) and should be on track to obliterate everything in its path.

But like I mentioned earlier, 580GTX loses out to 5970, and is therefore disappointing to my eyes, since this means, I am not going Green anytime soon.

9. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    It's a single gpu card and there are no (reliable) benchmarks yet. The dual gpu card will be called 6990.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I find that comment strange since you're comparing a single GPU card that almost matches and sometimes even exceeds those of a dual GPU card! Considering dual-GPU cards rely heavily on driver support for decent scaling performance in *all* games, something that AMD don't seem to be too terrific at supporting in my experience, then I don't see how anyone could say the GTX 580 is disappointing really.

I mean do you get 100% scaling for all the games you'll play with an HD 5970? No, you do most certainly do not. Do you get maximum performance for all the games you'll play with a GTX 580? Hell, yes. If the HD 6970 turns out to match the HD 5970 then which would you say was the better card? ;)

By the way, I'd say the same for NVIDIA and SLI, although they do seem to be more committed to supporting multi-GPU gaming than AMD do. Each to their own I guess.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    580 all the way,drivers and cfx let ATI down down,dont matter how powerful it is.

Why cant ATi just fix there damn drivers and make them like nvidia's,with decent CFX scalability?

I think its really silly how a company can release a decent GPU for it to be let down by its drivers.

12. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    And people still believe that 6970 with a rumored 1920 shaders will beat a 3200 shaders card :no:
    I still think the card will match the upcoming gtx570 but no gtx580. Tesselation performance of 6970 will be the double of 5870 which make it much slower than a gtx480.
    Was not for nothing that AMD made a fuss about HAWX 2 benchmark. AMD cards simply do not have the power to do so much tesselation.

13. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I'll give you my thoughts when the cards are actually out.

For now it's all speculation and fanboy flamewar fodder.

14. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Considering that an 1120 shaders card almost equals a 1600 shaders card and taking into account the less than optimal scaling of CrossFire I wouldn't say it's impossible.

A 6970 may not render the 5890 obsolete but any choice between the two is likely to be a no-brainer.

15. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    That is all well and good, but 580GTX is what Fermi should have been from the start. It is very very overdue and late, when its compared to 5970 which has been out for more than a year, you are telling me Nvidia could not come up with the fastest graphics card in the world (not single GPU) in all this time? I smell a respin and binning of chips, which is what 580 is essentially.

NV has spawned this card instead, which is not a bad card by all means, but this cannot justify me downgrading in terms of performance, no matter how bad the CFX scaling can be, because when it does work, it is simply incredible and one cannot deny that.

Nvidias drivers are not the perfect go-to examples of compiler excellence are they? Far far from it, to each their own in this respect definitely.

Also it leaves out GTX480 users out of pocket just a mere 8 months later, since this card is superior, this must have SURELY pissed a few chaps off.

I am certain that 6970 will give 580GTX a good kicking and then some, and 6990 will be out way before a dual 580 solution comes out. Yes CFX is not ideal, neither is SLI, but hey you want those crazy FPS in "supported" games you love to play, then yea why not.

Finally, the lack of AAA titles is astonishingly huge. We have all this hardware and a dozen of console ports (CODBO) being the latest victim ,running on a Quake-esque engine, come on... The graphics card business will only blossom if the devs dig deeper and push the limits. At the moment I cannot see that is happening, but perhaps 2011 will bring some much welcomed fresh air in this aspect.

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    new consoles wont be out till at least 2012 according to the rumours, as both sony and microsoft are waiting for more cpu/gpu/apu hybrids to come out. these are generally more cost effective for them to buy. so we'll be stuck with console ports for another 2 years or so.

the thing that annoys me is when the game is poorly ported and ends up running sluggishly on a system that absolutely spanks a console.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I look at the flagship Nvidia and ATI cards like performance cars. Nvidia = Ferrari, ATI = Corvette. The latter can approach the formers performance at a lower cost. The former is more exclusive and has a rep as a beast, which has its own appeal. Corvette owners will love their cars but will always have that deep yearning for a Ferrari.

18. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    ATi has their driver problems much like Nvidia has their own, your living in a world of ignorance if you think one is any better than the other. They both have issues, just in different areas.

19. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    have you seen the crossfire scaling of the 6870? id say its pretty darn decent. close to 80-90% in some games.

i'd say amd is more like the underdog jap car (ie. an r34 GTR). when released, the performance was quite high and decent and the car was cheap to buy. but with a few tweaks here and there (overvolting and overclocking), it easily outperforms a ferrari on the drag strip and on the circuits.

20. ClaymoreMD

ClaymoreMD Member

GPU:
    Asus 4870x2
    I am afraid it is too early to make comparisons today. In the end, if the cost / performance rate will be similar people will be free to base their decision on the additional features these cards have. I like the integrated sound codec in ATI cards which offers easy connectivity to TVs but Nvidia's vapour chamber is a big plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.