GTX 580 vs. HD6970 -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lozeritis, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    I am personally very excited about the new 6970's and I plan on picking one up. I've been looking to go down to a single card solution since I started using iZ3D (their crossfire support is greatly lacking; so I've been looking towards a single card that will be as-fast or faster than my 2x 4870's).

It's been looking like the 6970 was going to be my best choice for that. But now we have the GTX 580 coming onto the scene and, from the VERY early rumored BS I've heard, it could be as much as 30% faster than a GTX 480.

Compare that to the very early BS I've heard about the 6970 being only about 10% faster than a GTX 480....

I don't want to go green....

I guess the real deal benchies on release drivers will have to tell the tale, as they always do.

2. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    No point in making threads like these at all until trustworthy reviews/benchmarks are out.

As always, whichever card has the greatest value in terms of price/performance is the one to go for, as long as it meets your demands...
    All this unfounded loyalty to one side or the other is making me sick.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. bstaletic

bstaletic Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GTS 250 / 1 GB
    None of the above cards are lunched, so u can not buy any just yet. Bu I know what are you asking.
    I don't think the 6970 will do good enough for you, but I don't think the 580 will be any better than the other so my suggestion is to just wait and see how the things will go.
    If some benchmark proves me wrong get the better one (stronger) if not wait.

4. Drazio

Drazio Banned

GPU:
    FVCKING
    Most rumors suggest that the GTX 580 and HD 6970 are very close in performance. Some say the GTX 580 is slightly faster, others say the HD 6970 is slightly faster.

For me all I care about is which one runs BC2 the best at 1920x1200 at full settings as well as which one has better multi-gpu scaling as I plan to get two of either.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    This!

6. zoso_the_hippy

zoso_the_hippy Master Guru

GPU:
    4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
    i want to get a multi gpu setup as well

7. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    Then you would do well to go ATI as BC2's engine is optimized for ATI. I have owned both an HD 5870 and currently own a GTX 480 and while my 480 is faster in every other game that I play BC2 still ran the best with the HD 5870.

8. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz

The only way the 580 will be 30% faster than a 480 is if they truly doubled the TMU'S because just a simple bump in clock speed and a few more shaders isnt going to make that big of a difference.

IMO the HD 6970 is going to hand it to the GTX 580.

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    And 6970 is not so hungry, I mean power consumation.
    6970 have a big overclock potential.
    BS, 10-12% and no more :eyebrows:

10. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    Yeah thats what im saying, I dont buy the whole 30% faster rumor at all unless like I said they did much more to the card besides enabling a few more shaders and ramping up the clock speed slightly.

Now if the rumors of 128 TMU'S are true then it may indeed be 30% faster, we will have to wait and see.

11. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Oh man, you want to buy this BS, you already have 480, get 580 BIOS, flash them and :ta ta its ftw!

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Even the slide who have been shown and who seems be made by Nvidia, the average is just 15-20% (outside the Nvidia benchmark of LP2, HawX2 and other games like that ).... Now they say 30% for 3Dmark Vantage, and here, more ROP, more Texture unit, faster memory and core can be right ... But it will be hardly like this in games...

and i really doubt they have use settings/games and situation who can defavor the difference show in this bench ... If they show 15-20% difference, it's more likely 15% in average situation...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  13. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    Are you ignorant or what? try reading my post again and maybe you will see that im agreeing with you.

14. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    I agree, my next card will most likely be the HD 6970 as I believe that card is going to be faster than the GTX 580.

15. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yes, you are right, I seen screenshot with Phenom X6 and 580 in Extreme Preset, with enabled PhysX, how do you think, it's honestly?
    [​IMG]

16. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Sorry man, it was a misunderstood, all will be cool :banana:

17. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    No problem, I apologize as well.

18. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    both cards look good, I'll be happy with either

19. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    I"ll buy the 6970 "IF" its as fast or faster then the 5870 but the Tess needs to be much improved or I will not upgrade this time at all. Or i'll wait till the 580 comes down to $500.

20. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ u mean 5970 rather than 5870?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.