GTX 580 high idle temp

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Beast, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've recently noticed my GTX 580 is more audible during idle lately, it used to be dead silent.

EVGA Precision is reading that it's 60c @ 48% fan speed, while a couple months ago it was 40c @ 40% fan speed.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It's the reference cooled card and has never been overclocked.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've removed the card and attempted to clean out dust, but there wasn't any...I don't know why the card is getting hotter..My room is fairly cool and the side panel to my case is off.

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Are you sure it's at 2D clocks? You can check with e.g. MSI Afterburner or similar. Using a refresh rate of 120hz on desktop will force the card to 3D clocks in my experience. Are you also sure that it is in fact idling, that is no noticeable GPU usage?

4. Mv740

Mv740 Member Guru

GPU:
    580 GTX SLI
    A well ventilated case is key. I just installed a big case fan on my case side panel its right on top on my 2 580 GTX. I went from 80c full load w/o the case fan to 68c on full load with case fan. I suggest add more case fans.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Removing the side panel doesn't always provide the best cooling....a properly ventilated case can stay a good bit cooler than a case with no side panel installed as air is constantly moving across components, which results in heat being moved away from the components and out of the case as opposed to stale air heating up.

What case are you using?

6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    ive noticed that the temps raise if msn messenger is on period,also leaving certain websites open will also raise temp,an no small raise either,like above poster,will normally idle at 40c but with certain webpages or msn open 60c crazy

7. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    The case is a Cooler Master Centerion 590 (Cheap-o case) and I rarely had the side panel on (never had it on since I got the GTX 580).

I have a single 120MM fan installed on the side panel blowing outward, but it produced more noise and never made a difference.

**edit**

GPU usages read's 0%

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The side panel fan should be blowing cool air onto that graphics card IMO

9. fiika

fiika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570 810/1620/1980
    I had same issue with my previous EVGA 470 and precision. IIRC I updated precision to latest build and the problem went away. Next time it does it check in preciosion and see if it has gone to 3D mode (which it was doing to mine)

edit: oops, thought OP posted quote - though OP can look and see if it is happening

10. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    MSI Afterburner:
    Core Clock = 772
    Shader Clock = 1544
    Memory Clock = 2004

Display Driver = 226.58

How do I know if it's in 3D mode?

11. fiika

fiika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570 810/1620/1980
    I thought you were using Precision (from 1st post) or are you using that + MSI AB?
    You should be able to look at monitoring graph and see what GPU core is when it happens.

edit: the GPU core should drop from 772(3D mode) to 51 when going into 2D mode - my core figures may be wrong as it's been a while since I had EVGA 470 but you should have similar figures.

If you're using Precision + MSI AB I'd suggest picking one and remove the other as IIRC they'll conflict.

12. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070

your right i use precision,an gpu core clock goes from 51 to 751 with msn messenger running which is 3d mode wtf microsoft lol

13. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I was using both to see if they would give different readings, now I'm just using AB.

After closing all my browser tabs (mostly of YouTube vids) I left to make a meal then when I came back the temps had dropped to 43c @ 40% fan speed.

The core clock is still 772, how do I fix this? It's annoying to hear the fan speeding up and the card getting hotter when I'm streaming videos.

14. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    changing power management to adaptive in nvidia control panel helps i jus found out

15. fiika

fiika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570 810/1620/1980
    Beast
    can you DL the latest Precision, uninstall MSI AB, install precision and see if it still happens.

16. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's already set to adaptive.

17. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yep, I just uninstalled AB and installed Precision 202 and started streaming a video online and the temps gradually rose to 60c.

18. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    flash is now gpu accelerated. so if any of your open tabs have a flash video or a flash ad, it will bump the card up to 2d clocks.

19. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ah ok, thanks Server..makes sense now.