1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 580 First Review!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Somn Bizar

Somn Bizar Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti
    The card is good, lower consumption than GTX480 while delivering more performance. Still they didn't break the HD 5970, a card released a year ago.

I can't help but wonder if AMD is delaying launch in order to tune their cards to respond to nvidia offerings. I think it's reasonable to believe the HD 6950 will be just a tad slower than GTX 580 while the 6970 a tad faster.

Worst case they will both be slower and we will see the same strategy that was applied with the HD 4000 series (price wars). The dual GPU from ATI will surely beat the GTX 580, my question is will nvidia be capable of releasing a dual GPU now that they managed to bring down the power consumption?

2. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    So it ended up not having the 128 texture units a lot of rumours stated. Oh well that kinda sucks. Was hoping it did have them. That would have given this card that extra bit of punch if needed to not be bagged on so much.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Nice card but looks like I'm keeping my 480's. Nothing here to make me go through the pains of selling my cards.

If you don't have a GTX 480 though...grab the GTX 580 for sure.

4. loneknives

loneknives Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    i wonder whats the % difference if the gtx 480 is clock at same speed as gtx 580 :)
    6%?
    9%?

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yup thats disapointing for sure.

6. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Price is also a disapointing. It's too much for 15-20% more performance.

7. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte 970 g1
    yeah nice card but as other posters have stated ill stick with my 480

8. Bounty

Bounty Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    Well that's my xmas present sorted. Quieter than my existing card and 50%-100% performance increase as well, with the games I have @ 1900x1200. It was what I had hoped the gtx480 was going to be, still, better late than never.

I'll wait a month for to see what 3rd party offer cooling/OC'ing wise then bite the bullet

9. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    Thats right and most people are forgetting how well fermi scales to performance with an overclock. Clock a GTX 480 to GTX 580 speeds and the GTX 580 will look even less impressive than it already does.

10. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Bruel & Kjaer 2236 sound level meter costs ~$4,000!?!!! wowwwwwwwwww! :eek2: lool
    but other digital sound level meter costs only $50! :)

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    Ok so if the gtx 580 is out. wtf else is nvidia gonna launch? Even if the HD6 is just an update it so far has opened a can of performance. How much can a rebranding of gtx 4 fermi do if the gtx 580 is only that much faster?????? Nvidia is really just gonna launch just the gtx 580?. It just feels like nvidia is playing catch up like ati did with the hd 2xxx and hd3xxx series and didnt until hd 4xxx series.

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    lol, and i was think the rate you kill the cards under LN2 was in the good shape...

But this make me think, yes, i m really impatient to see the first result under LN2 with this card.. the 480 was overclock and scale nicely, i really ask me what can bring this "optimised/tweaked" version.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    There are dark rumours circulating on the web that Nvidia will somehow manage to launch a dual card gpu based on this Fermi refresh...

Not to mention the confirmed GTX 570 and 560.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=331886

there is a rumor about 560gtx and 570gtx., but judging by 580gtx performance its not gonna be something special..

edit: h83 beat me to it :)

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    Thnx for all the info. Ill just stick to my HD 5770.To me right now nvidia is the fail to me. Im not impressed and really am quite feeling underwhelmed. Since the HD 6870 came out the only card logically faster that is worth the price is a GTX 480. The price of the hd 5850/70 is way too high still when the hd 6870 is just about as fast. Im just trying to guage and plan upgrades for feb.

16. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I thought I was going to end up regretting my decision last month to get this card even though I got a good price. I guess not. (My 5870 was faulty I'm pretty sure as I'm getting better performance now than when I had it though it didn't crash or overheat) I'm hoping nVidia's next generation takes more cues from the GTX 460 with efficiency and performance than this. Hopefully the transition away from the current architecture for both AMD and nVidia will help that happen with both of their parts.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I needed hipro's cold bios to get anything over 980-1000(ln2) with 480, vgpu @1.21v only.I do hope its ok without any ram or clock slow downs,i think if only dice np?
    I have no time to fill dewar but will have 1 card on dice first thing it gets here,but will have backup card if i need it.:)
    I need to see if i can use nhibitor to unlock some more volts in bios,looks like 1.13v max with NI.

18. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    Very good result , less power draw , better temps , low noise.

I just expected like 10% more performance.

But I think its fine , will fight very good against HD6970.

19. Drazio

Drazio Banned

GPU:
    FVCKING
    BFBC2 1920x1200 4XAA

HD 5970 = 71 FPS
    GTX 480 = 75 FPS

Damn...

20. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    10.7 drivers .... bc2 cfx is a little bit faster of that normally.... ( on this review, number reported are with 10.7 without CAP, this driver was really problematic with BC2 untill they release a fixed cap )

Looking how they have tweak the 480, i believe things should go better... ofc for cold boot, that's another story, logically it should be fine but impossible to say without more report... as for voltage ... i believe the hard mod are the same of what can be done on the GTX480.