GTX 580 audio over HDMI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TK423, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Yeah, I'm having trouble finding it in print but if I recall I think I read on a forum somewhere that alc892, the RealTek codec my motherboard uses for audio, doesn't support DDL or DTS.

So that means using the Asus P8P67 Pro via S/PDIF I would not get surround sound in computer games but I would get surround sound from Blu-ray rips in DD or DTS, correct?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Correct on the gaming, there are a few games that encode themselves to DD I believe, not sure which though.
    Correct if those movies are already encoded in DD or DTS and your amp supports decoding those formats (which it should).
    Movies that are not already DD or DTS encoded will be stereo.

If you have HDMI, there is no reason to use SPDIF (with fairly recent hardware).
    It is the next generation SPDIF, an SPDIF replacement.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Yeah, I definitely want to use HDMI.

I guess I was just confused by the number of people I've seen on various forums saying that the GTX 580 doesn't support bitstream and therefore can't do DD or DTS or any kind of surround in gaming/movies.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I know.
    There is no need to send anything other than PCM to the amp, as long as the video player can decode the movies sound formats (which they can).

5. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Interesting.

Well, that seems to be good news to me, then. I wonder why so many people are misinformed about this?

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It may have been at the time of the cards release, the video players couldnt properly decode the high def audio formats so they needed to be sent directly to the amp??
    But if there was a time when this happened it would have been short, until the video player software caught up.

HOWEVER, I recommend analogue for sound quality if you have a good soundcard :p
    (if your amp has surround analogue inputs)
    But decoding high def formats over analogue needs to conform to copy protection schemes (Protected Audio Path, PAP).
    There are ways of getting this to work on soundcards that dont have a PAP.

7. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    So is sending audio from the GTX 580 to the receiver as PCM an option on the computer that I would do with Nvidia Control Panel or something?

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i think right click volume settings / playback devices / right click audio device / properties ?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It already is PCM, video cards have no, NONE, audio processing, they are simply a digital conduit for audio data. (The amplifiers DAC and processor become the soundcard)
    The video player is what will determine how pre-encoded material is dealt with.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Ah ok. So it'll be an option in XBMC (my media player of choice) not on the computer or the AV receiver?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes, as long as the format is supported.
    I havent used XBMC for years, but I imagine it wont be an issue.

If you struggle, you can always use a player that does decode the format.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I've just remembered the downside of HDMI, not sure why I didnt remember this earlier, soz.
    There may be video lag if you use video processing on your amp, and some amps insert a bit of delay regardless.

This is another plus for analogue audio.
    You get the full quality and can connect your gfx card direct to the display, the amp cannot introduce video lag then.
    This is how I run my system.

Check to see if the lag is ok for you.

13. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB

After further investigation you are correct sir. I was under the false impression that 5.1 and 7.1 would only work with SPDIF out, I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up.

14. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Thank you for hopping in the thread all the same! Any information is useful so thanks for taking the time.

Hmm. I don't have the system yet but HDMI is looking more and more like the best option. If, like you mentioned, there is no lag issue.

If I were to decide to use analogue audio, how would that work? I would connect the speakers to the receiver via speaker wire like normal, I would assume, but then how do I connect the computer to the receiver?

The two receivers I'm looking at are the TX-NR509 and TX-NR519.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Surround via analogue is the easiest of all, its the traditional way of doing surround sound on the PC.
    Get a good soundcard, they start around £40 and connect it to the amp with 3 or 4 stereo cables.
    (you can get good quality cables pretty cheap these days).
    Setup the soundcard how you like, voila!
    (If you need help getting high definition audio from blu ray films, I can show you how)

You cant do surround via analogue with those receivers unfortunately.
    Can you find any others?

Where are you and what is your budget?

16. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    I'm located in the US. My budget for my receiver was $300 max and then I was going to invest in about a $200 pair of Sony floor standers and add additional speakers as my budget allows.

Hmm. I want proper surround sound but I liked the idea of having a receiver operating with XBMC but that doesn't seem possible with analogue.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme