GTX 570 Sli Problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by antboy6969, Oct 18, 2011.

1. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    hey guys let me start of by saying im new to sli, i was using a gigabyte gtx 570 card and i recently came across a new asus gtx 570 direct cu2 card for a cheap price.
    the next day i installed the asus card on the 1st pcie slot and my old gigabyte card on the second one and i attached the sli cable, then i went into nvidia control panal and chose whatever option you use to anable sli with both of them cards and set the physx to auto select.
    then i ran some 3dmark 11 and got like 10114 score on it.
    at this point i remembered that i used to get 6400 score with my overclocked gigabyte gtx 570 so i opened up msi afterburner and gpuz and started overclocking and this is where the problems started.

when i was using my gigabyte gtx 570 by itself i used to rech up to 900 core clock and about 2000 mem with no voltage bumps but with this new asus gtx 570 and gigabyte gtx 570 sli i could only reach up to 770 stable core clock anything after 770 mhz on core crashed 3dmark 11.

anyone know why i cannot overclock these cards any more than 770mhz core clock?

the most stable overclock i have had with these two cards are 770/1540/2000 on msi afterburner.

My rig specs
    asus gtx 570 (742/1484/1900)defaulthttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432&Tpk=asus%20gtx%20570
    gigabyte gtx 570 (780/1560/1900) defaulthttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125384
    intel core i7 2600 (overclocked to 4.1mhz)
    thermaltake toughpower 875watt

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Asus card probably need to increase voltage on GPU to reach higher clocks.
    You can try Asus card alone if it can reach higher clocks with stock voltage on GPU.
    If it doesnt, then increase it via msi afterburner.

3. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Thanks. its at 1038Mv right now ill change it to about 1100Mv and try a higher clock on the sli setup.

4. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    I think the problem lays with the PSU. See here.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=352023

Im having problems overclocking my cards over 770 without crashing the system or driver recovery. I can still return my psu and swap it out for a 1000w psu, I will let you know my results when I do. Although I could be wrong, it seems keeping my vid cards @ stock keep its stable, its worth a shot.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

5. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    damn. if that is the case ill need to get a new psu iv only had this psu for about 5 days.
    But i have incresed the settings to 1100 Mv on both cards on msi and have reached a stable clock of 830 on core and 2000 on mem and anything after 830mhz crashes 3dmark and reboots my comp.

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    your PSU should be fine, i doubt that's the problem. the thermaltake toughpower xt ones are pretty beefy, i had one in my last setup.

your gtx570s each used around 210-220w-ish at stock clocks iirc (too lazy to look up correct figure). at 4.1ghz with HT on, your cpu might use around 130-150w at most.

so right now youre using around 150+220+220 (sli uses the clocks of the slowest card which is the asus) = 590w +50w or so for fans and hdds and stuff so thats around 640-650w. your PSU should still have plenty of power left over since the thermaltake toughpower series dumps all its amps into a single 12V rail.

your problem is more likely with the asus card requiring more volts. just crank the volts up and start overclocking. each card requires diff volts to reach certain frequencies. to get best results, you'd need a cherry picked chip, like something from evga or the gigabyte super overclock series or gamble on luck of the draw.

7. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Thanks for that i was getting realy worried about buying a new psu as i realy didn't want to spend more cash for another psu.
    my problem now is that in sli setup i cannot ramp up the volts to more than 1100Mv in afterburner for the asus card.
    should i use another oc program designed for the asus card like Asus Gpu tweak?

btw at 1100Mv im am at a stable clock of 830mhz and 2000mhz on the mem anything after 830mhz crashes 3dmark and reboots my comp.

8. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    but becarful there watch out dont put to mutc power on the asus card becouse the gpu might guet damaged for some reason asus put the power on the core like that and you are already pulyng abit far from stock on that one try to put the gpu withe higuest clokcs on the 2 pci slot and the slower on the 1 one im saying this becouse back in the thay i sli tho 8800gt one asus but the top that have the biguer clokcs and a gigabyte with lower clocks and i dindnt now i was having constant crashes instability and i guessed wel this is some driver problem or os so i formated and the shi........... goes the same then i was over my head and take the mashine to a store and the Guy said to me that the gpu with biguer clocks as to stay in second and the slower one one the first and he switched the gpus and my face back in that time gone buumm becouse of a simple trade fix al my problems you should try that i know it looks stupid but thats wow i felt that day they let me oce the core the gpu core memories erverything stable good lock its only a litle storie that hapend to me back in the day

9. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I do have them in the right slots as you said the asus card is 742mhz stock and is in the 1st pcie 16x slot and the gigabyte which is clocked in at 780mhz is on the second pcie 8x slot.
    and is 1100on core volt for these cards realy that bad cuz both of these cards are designed for ocing specially the asus card?
    my computer is very stable righ now but as soon as i ramp up the core clock to bout 840mhz 3dmark 11 crashes.
    please anyone know why i cannot oc past 830mhz?

10. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    ups im sorry i didnt see that you have the gpus on the right slots so maybe your mobo doesnt hold more stable beacose the psu is more then alryght or maybe some problem with the bios of some gpu

11. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    dont be sorry : ) atleast you tried to help anyway if it is something wronge with my bios what can i do?
    iv overclocked my gigabyte one to 900mhz and asus one 830mhz in sli
    so now i know its something thats going wronge with the asus card.

12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Nothing is wrong with bios, but sometimes you get worse performing card, at least in overclocking, you can download modded bios that enable higher voltage (up to 1.200V). Its not worth though as it increase temps and mainly power usage, that your PSU would not like :)

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm? drop the clocks of the gigabyte to match the asus. sli runs at the clock of the lower card, which is 830mhz in your case. so if you cranked up the voltage on the gigabyte, thats less power your PSU can send to the asus.

leave memory clocks alone since you'll gain more performance from cranking up the core.

14. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Your going about this all wrong.

You find out the maximum OC for each card separately then use the lowest OC setting of the two cards in SLI, and lower if needed to gain stability.

The only guarantee clock wise is what it says on the box, other then that it is draw of luck.

/edit

Raising voltage above 1.1V would not be recommended without adequate cooling such as water or ln2, might very well ruin the vrm or other parts of the gpu power circuits due to overheating.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  15. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Thankyou everyone for helping, i have come to a conclusion of 830mhz, 2000mhz on mem at 1075mv in sli becase the asus card does not go any higher than that.

16. Badelhas

Badelhas Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx670
    What is you 3DMARK 11 score now? I have two 570 in SLI @ 850+2000 and a i5 750@3.7Ghz and get a P9990 score...
    Cheers

17. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I am getting P10534 in 3dmark 11 at 825/2000/1075mv.