1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 570 screen tearing issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Wigz, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Wigz

Wigz New Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Dear Guru,

I have been using my pc for slightly over a month now and a few days ago i was halfway through a game of Team fortress 2 when suddenly i noticed screen tearing whenever i moved past anything, this was the first time i had ever experienced screen tearing with my pc.

I tested some other games to see if this was a specific problem (Counter strike: source and Killing floor) and they both had the exact same problem. When i tested Killing floor, when the game started i heard a whistling noise from my pc that became slightly higher pitch as the game reached the main menu, the noise only stopped when i either exited the game or passed the main menu but the game was still experiencing the same screen tearing issues, i had played the game the day before and there was no such issue.

I returned to Team fortress 2 and turned on Vsync and the screen tearing stopped, i did the same in Counter strike: source with the same result, however when i turned Vsync on in Killing floor the screen tearing was still the same.

I went to my BIOS and set my computer to the energy saving setting, (the three setting were energy saving, normal and high performance?) it had been set to normal before, and then when i started killing floor rather than a whistle the noise was a very quick beeping noises of varying pitch but was otherwise the same as the whistling.

Not sure if its relevant but the temperature displayed on my Zalman Z9 plus case has been slightly higher than it usually is since the problem began. (it was usually between 22C and 25C but now its usually between 24C AND 26C and it raises quicker than it usually does once i turn it on)

Thanks

2. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    So, what is the question exactly?

The noise is coming from your graphics card most likely. Certain cards make a whining noise when under load. Google for more info.

The screen tearing can depend on game/driver/card. Certain games vsync settings don't work properly and you have to force vsync a different way. Someone with more experience with this will hopefully know what the problem is with that game.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Try forcing Vsync in the Nvidia Control panel for the Killing Floor executable.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    the noise isnt uncommon. what your hearing is capacitor squeal, more than likely.

5. Wigz

Wigz New Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    I looked into the problem more and it seems that some screen tearing can be caused by the monitor, i am using my Alba 19" HD LCD TV, could that be the cause of the screen tearing? Also why would this become a problem after a month of use? If all of my games never needed Vsync and then they all need it at once at the same time as i notice the whistling noise then has something gone wrong?

6. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    without vsync you'll see screen tearing. don't know whay this wasn't seen before. Have you changed the drivers before this thing started to happen? What brand is the 570? Try msi afterbruner and monitor your fan speed and temps. Open the case and see/hear where exactly the squeal comes from, the GPU, the fan or other fans in the case. What refresh rate has your monitor? Have you set the correct refresh rate in your NV control panel?

7. Wigz

Wigz New Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    There was a driver update not long before the problem started, all i know about the brand is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, i just downloaded msi afterburner but i am not sure how to use it or monitor the fan speed and temps (sorry this is my first serious pc) , the NVIDIA control panel says that my refresh rate is set to 60Hz and that is the only option, i couldn't tell exactly where the noise came from but it was either the graphics card or the the CPU/CPU fan, also now that i have been able to enable Vsync on killing floor the squeal is no longer there.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011