GTX 560 Ti...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Goshorai, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Goshorai

Goshorai Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600gt 1GB
    That's the new GPU im going to get, but my CPU falls really weak before its feet.
    E5200 2,5 ghz @ 3ghz (is as far as it can get with my crappy P5GC-MX/1333 and stock fan )
    I know im going to get a bottleneck, but i want to know how bad is going to be?
    would games like Mass Effect, Crysis/Warhead, Crysis 2, or others will really have poor FPS?
    I run my games at 1440x900 since its my mointor's max resolution.

2. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    If i had to chose again, id go for a HD6870. Its not that far off if you look at the reviews.

But, again, if you plan to buy a new CPU very soon (im talking bout one month or two at most) then the GTX560 Ti would be a good option.

Take in mind that you WILL BE bottlenecked. Unless you pick a nice quad core at 3Ghz or more...

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It'll still be faster than your 8600GT....

4. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I would 100% recommend getting a GTX 560 Ti if you plan on getting a new cpu soon, i love mine :3!! If you don't plan on getting a new cpu it's probably overkill.

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    The bottleneck you'll get is basically your 560Ti will perform slower then a 460 in terms of frame rate scores etc. If you upgrade to a quad core then your 560Ti will shine!

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    How did you come up with this nonsense?

To the OP - The 560ti is a much faster card than the 8600gt and so you will see good improvements in framerates at that resolution and you will be able to run higher AA/AF and details levels.

7. Aveon

Aveon Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2
    LOL :stewpid:

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Go ahead and get the card, you will see big boost.

9. Goshorai

Goshorai Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600gt 1GB
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    So if I get this right:
    1.Im going to have a bottleneck
    2.But even with it, the performance will still be better than my 8600GT.
    Just making sure, is that correct?

Also, another important question, my mobo is an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 , is it compatible with this card?

10. RanCor TDO

RanCor TDO Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080 GameRock
    1. Yeah you will be bottlenecked by your cpu but will still get a huge boost in fps.
    2. Performance will be far better than with your current card.

And if that mobo is PCIe 2 compatible you will have no probs.

11. Goshorai

Goshorai Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600gt 1GB
    Hmmm looks that that card would be a no go :/
    My mobo has compatibility for:
    1 x PCI-E x16 @16
    1 x PCI-E x1
    2 x PCI 2.2

But no PCI-E 2 T_T
    Cant I fit it in there anyway?

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Yep, i dunno if you read my specs but i have mine on a P35 mobo (2007 tech lol) with PCIe 1.0 x16.

Of course, a GTX560 Ti would trash a GF8600 even if you had it paired with a Pentium 4. But, you will notice the C2D lag behind, specially when you see ppl or benchmarks with 35fps min and you have 20fps or 15fps min instead.

Put it in this way, when you upgrade your CPU, you will see double benefits, one for new CPU and two for a GTX560 Ti at full power :) haha

13. RanCor TDO

RanCor TDO Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080 GameRock
    Here man check this link out: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=844046&mpage=1

From reading that you should be fine with that mobo and the card.

14. angmar

angmar Guest

What he says here is true...it wont even perform at GTX 460 speeds because my core i3 540 was bottleknecking my gtx 460 at the time before I upgraded to core i5 760. An OP's cpu is far slower then a core i3 540 so actually what maleficarus says is rather optimistic it will actually be even worse then that. This isn't an opinion its a fact. The only games that will actually see big gains in FPS are extremely GPU heavy games like metro 2033. CPU heavy games like bad company 2, starcraft 2 will be bound by his cpu.

To the OP, you should def look into upgrading your motherboard an cpu or your going to be pretty disappointed. I couldn't believe how much going from an overclocked i3 540 to a core i5 760 allowed my gpu to stretch it's legs in quite a few of the games I played. But yes the performance will be much higher then the 8600 GT you had but the card will have alot more untapped power even still. So I would def upgrade the rest of your system as soon as possible and if that is not able to happen for you then you should've went with something a bit cheaper/slower.

You will still find that even with your new relatively powerful graphics card that your fps will not be hitting 60fps in alot of games. This will be because of your cpu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  15. Goshorai

Goshorai Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600gt 1GB
    Well, the only CPU heavy (as far as i Know) games that I have would be GTA IV and EFLC. With my actual GPU, I can max out GTA SA at smooth FPS (Tough I have some slowdowns in Los Santos and other areas), BlazBlue I can play it at max Res and 2x AA (4x AA Starts lag). Crysis 2 I had to play min graphics and 800x600 for accetable frames (and not even past 40).
    Mass Effect I could max it at nice FPS (Not sure if 30+ but they were playable).

Say, would the games stated above (except for GTA IV) get better or worse performance than now? :confused:

16. angmar

angmar Guest

They should all get better performance. There is no reason for them to get worse. What I am saying is that you should def get a faster more up to date cpu asap so you can use the full power of your new card. You will still see a big bump in performance....but it would be much bigger still if you could even buy just a cheapo motherboard a cheap dual core sandy bridge until you had money for a 2600k or 2500k. You def will see a jump in performance though.

17. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    There would be no way on earth (except for hardware/software problems, imcompatabilities etc) that you'd get worse performance. :)

It is true that at your chosen resolution and with the CPU you currently have, some of the potential of a 560Ti or a HD6870 won't be realised.

Any game can potentially be CPU limited if the CPU is slow enough, the res is low enough, detail settings are low enough or a combo of all three. In a GPU limited scenario, upping detail levels (eg going from 2xAA to 4xAA, for example) will see an apropriate reduction in frame rate. In the same game but in a CPU limited scenario, the same shift from 2xAA to 4xAA will see a much lower shift in performance, in some cases no hit at all.

Also note that (within reason) even the weakest CPU can be eliminated as the limiting factor in all but the most CPU bound games (like GTA4 for example) by raising detail levels and/or resolution.

Don't think of a CPU limitation as causing lower performance as you upgrade your GPU, but simply as a hinderance to getting the maximum potential out of your new card. Going from your current card to a 560Ti will definitely improve your gameing experience noticably. Do remember though, that upgrading the rest of your system to match it will give another good boost.

Often when discussing bottlenecks it can seem that they're a nightmare, end-of-the-world scenario. They're not. A balanced system is desirable, but there will be times, especially if you upgrade incrementally, where having one component weaker than the rest of the system is unavoidable. This doesn't mean that people should buy a lesser powered GPU because of it etc. It just means that the priority for the next upgrade should be the new "weak link" in the chain.

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    No, he is talking rubbish. Do you seriously think the 560Ti will run slower than a 460 on his system?

19. angmar

angmar Guest

Absolutely with his cpu. The only benefit he would get would be being able to run higher IQ settings because of all the idle gpu power sitting around due to his cpu not being able to pump up the fps. I am most certainly not talking rubbish. I and i'm sure others who have upgraded there cpus after there gpus can tell you first hand. Seems like only the people who are still running on old cpus fail to notice how big a difference there can be when you run an old cpu with a new gpu an then upgrade there cpu an realize wow I was missing out on alot of power.

edit: beings you won't take it from my own experience maybe you will believe it if you read it somewhere. At the bottom of every game tested in this article it shows performance of the game running on a core i5 760 with 1,2,3 and 4 cores enabled. Keep in mind that a core i5 760 even with 1 core is more powerful then his cpu. If they ran the same test with his cpu the fps would be dramatically lower.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2737.html

and here is another test showing an e5200 bottle knecking an 8800gts in COD4

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2737.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  20. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Do you mean slower then a gtx460 in his system or slower then a gtx460 paired with a faster cpu?....