gtx 560 ti OEM: Fan won't spin up under load.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by qda, Sep 26, 2012.

1. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    GPU Fan permanently at 960 rpm; refuses to speed up.

GTX 560 TI OEM (used card from an Alienware Aurora R4)

GPU IDLE: 960 rpm, 45C

GPU 99% LOAD: 960 rpm, 100C :flame:

The video card fan refuses to speed up.

Even with MSI Afterburner and NVIDIA Inspector, if I set the speed manually to 85%, the fan doesn't respond, and continues spinning at 960 rpm.

Tried 2 different 306.xx drivers and the 285.76 drivers from Dell. I used Driver Sweeper before changing drivers. No improvement :(

What is causing this? The previous owner said he never had any issues with the card..

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    If ur comfortable with Video Bios Flashing that will be ur answer

3. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    Why would this card's fan work properly in a Dell system, but not on mine? Would a Bios flash somehow trick it into behaving differently in my system?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Not sure If that statement is true. He probably just said that so he can sell it. I'm not pointing fingers though, but that's how it usually works with selling 2nd hand parts. It's always a risk.

5. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I think Volkov is right. You need to flash the right BIOS to the card. Try your luck here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ though we cannot know from here without pics probably which exact card it is.

As an alternative you can save your VGA BIOS using GPU-Z, and then edit it with a program called Nibitor (google it) and edit fan settings to your desire... or if you want to post it here one of us will edit it for you.

There is program called nvflash you use to flash it.. be careful and READ INSTRUCTIONS for it

6. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    Thanks guys for your input. It sucks that the OEM card acts so strange in a regular system.. I am going to return it to the guy I got it from; BIOS flashing is more hassle than I have time for right now :(