GTX 560 ti founders edition re-pad help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Moti, May 10, 2018.

1. Moti

Moti New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti FE
    I seek your wisdom, oh wise 3D Gurus.

I have the card mentioned in the title and after a re-tim (due to terrible temps) I noticed the pads were all crumbling and were terribly applied in the first place (a tear in one of them 'bridged over' with another piece etc).

But (TL;DR) I have no idea what pad thickness to get. Have any of you performed a repad on this card before?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    You can get thermal pads from most online pc hardware stores which you cut to measure

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 2070XC ultra
    gpu tp`s can range from .5mm to 1.5mm on mem and up to 2mm on vrm but you should be able to get a good idea from the original pads, personally i`d get fuji poly pads...they are expensive but pretty much beat any thing out there or in the the least Gelid or Ek pads, anything cheaper will perform worse than what you already have, good idea to take photo`s before removing any pads for your own reference.

4. Moti

Moti New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti FE
    They are completely squashed, and the part that isn't is so old and falling apart that it's not possible to determine. I'm afraid to damage the card with a too thick or too small pad.

I'm taking about thickness, not overall size.

Last edited: May 10, 2018

5. dfd3fdf

dfd3fdf New Member

GPU:
    s
    Do you maybe know how to get it? :)

6. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Remove all the pads, clean with alcohol, dry thoroughly, and apply a drop of Arctic Silver on each memory module. Put the cooling system back on and you're good to go.

DAW40 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. Moti

Moti New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti FE
    summer here is a nightmare, is it solid enough to hold through months of room temps of 30 Celsius and higher? And is it also good for the VRMs?

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Generally pads are 1mm.

I would buy some 1mm, and if extra thickness is necessary you can stack them.

You'll want to mount cooler without paste and only new pads and then remove them to ensure it made some contact with the pads.

You could dab and smooth a tiny bit of thermal paste to see if contact was made.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Compo...id=1526308607&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+pad+1mm

I do not recommend ever using AS5 with thermal pads. They tend to smear around and since AS5 is capacitive, if it touches metal or a trace it will catch fire(experience)

No, you especially don't want to do it on VRM. Reasoning above, plus the huge mess that will occur if you ever want to redo it.

When thermal pads are properly making contact, adding thermal paste to it is just adding more insulation.

The point of thermal material is to conduct heat to and from somewhere; adding more layers isn't going to help.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Never thought of that. Good one.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    You don't need the pads if you're using AS5.

DAW40 likes this.
  12. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Your soo right but it would fall off no hmmmmmm

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    You only need a very tiny drop, and once you screw the cooler back on the pressure will create a solid seal. No different when you mount a heatsink to a cpu with AS5 on top.

DAW40 likes this.
  14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Thermal paste is not a replacement for thermal pads.
    You must be reading out of context.

Chastity likes this.
  15. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Both of you are ancient guru's who do we listen to ?

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    I wouldn't use Liquid metal on aluminium coolers, most of the older GPU coolers are aluminium not copper ones, but agree with above getting 1mm thermal pads and if they're not right size you can stack them, Arctic Cooling selling them pretty cheap but EK thermal pads are cheap as Arctic, Fujipoly are good but very expensive which I recommend only on newer cards and they don't last as EK or Arctic, Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 pads are another option but still they're expensive

Good cheap TIM is Noctua NT-H1 which performs as Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut in my case on my GPUs

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

17. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Or a hyper 212 or Noctua will be good, and keep temps down when OCing the card.