GTX 495>>> The Beast

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DD_OVERCLOCK99, Mar 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    If by true you mean they pulled a load of numbers out of the air and some of them were close, then I guess they were absolutely right :wanker:

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No you don't! ATI offers comparable performance with a much better energy envelope.

When these things hit retail we will see the full scale - of FAIL.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    He was right about some things, I can't stand the guy but facts are facts.

4. morbias

GPU:
    -
    SemiAccurate is a joke. They said that GF100 was vaporware and Nvidia weren't going to produce high end cards. And then they changed their minds and said GTX 480 was going to have a 275W TDP. And that it would have 512 shaders. And it would have a core clock of 600MHz and a shader clock of 1250MHz. That was as recently as last month, it's as if they make it up as they go along.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Again, I agree but that doesn't change the fact that he was right about a lot of things this time around.

Some people refuse to be objective on both sides.

I think the current incarnation of Fermi will be an overall failure and that will be highlighted in the weeks to come in my humble opinion.

6. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I agree, there is every indication it will be a retail failure, but only because of price imo, it's way too expensive. If GTX 480 was £400 or less I would buy it.

7. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah i would agree, we get it rough in the UK, they seriously need sort out the priving, it doesnt matter how fast it is, if its too expensive then people wont buy it.

But i dont think its a failure of any sort, yeah its abit hot but still the fastest single core gpu on the planet and with newer drivers its going to get abit faster, its still going to sell, probably just not that well in the uk lol.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yes would be an ok move but it would be hard to beat a 5980 and thats all the card would be made for.

a three slot wide sandwitch heatsink design might work for a 2x480 card thuo.

9. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Like I said, no objectivity whatsoever.

'A bit hot' like water is 'a bit wet'?

Fastest single GPU on the planet, yes it is, but it's 6 months behind a GPU that is comparable, quieter, cooler and far more energy efficient.

It's puzzling that you can't concede any of those FACTS while parroting Fermi's 'success'.

10. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Its easy to dismiss all of the articles, simply as biased towards a particular manufacturer. Stop wearing the rose-tinted glasses, and look at the real picture. 6 months late down the line, huge TDP (yes it is, and you know it is), noisy (yes it is noisy, it is so for a reason), and very very hot (5800U was this hot, so what? Did 5900 or 5800 got anywhere? No, BUT 6800 did and the architecture was completely re-done and got NV some good rep, this is what NV will need to do this time round again.

11. morbias

GPU:
    -
    It's not huge TDP at all. It's just that ATI have managed a low TDP this time around, the previous generation of Nvidia cards had similar TDP.

I think it totally depends on what you are upgrading from that dictates the card you would buy.

I had a 280 and got a 5870 which was a mistake, as the performance upgrade wasn't spectacular at all. Had the 480 been around at that time it would have been a much better upgrade as the extra performance would have been noticeable and power consumption would have been the same as with my 280.

Where do I go from 275s in SLI? Only a 5970 makes sense, or a 480 if the price was lower as it would give me slightly better average performance, much higher minimum fps, and lower power consumption.

Anyone on a high end 2xx or 4xxx series card wouldn't really see that much improvement from a 470 / 5850 / 5870. A 480 or 5970 would make a lot more sense.

12. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I havent even mentioned the 5870, as what you said is pretty much true, i aint denying that.

Parroting Femri's success? well yeah in some respects, it is the fastest card, it may have issues but i dont think that people are going to care that much, i certainly dont. The price is the main disadvantage, thats what ATI do well.

We all have our own opinions so lets just leave it at that, we could be here all day talking about who's right and whats wrong.

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    They are going to sell those for GPGPU use for much higher profit.
    GPGPU and double precision power of that card is just huge improvement from older G200 cards.

So, even if your not happy with it's gaming performance or something else, it's not "epic fail" or anything like that. Nvidia is going to make quite nice money with that architecture.

14. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Wow !! GTX 495 already... technology is progressing so fast, it is only a matter of time, until we will have virtual reality, and robots. :eek:

15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's not a 'right' or 'wrong' debate. It's just the facts.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight as I am habitually an Nvidia user but they f**ked up this this time.

If it had been cheaper and cooler with the same performance, we wouldn't be having this discussion :)

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    actually i came from a 285 ocx and much prefer the 5870. ok i wouldnt say spectacular but very good.

fps are up by a good 10-20 fps and it runs cooler and not as noisy, not by much mind u.

i would say anyone who is in doubt as 2 whether to get a 5870 over a 275/285 shouldnt have any fears.

ofc it does make a diff if you can sell your 275/285. i put a lot of effort into ebay and have a 100 percent record so for me it isnt a prob selling hardware. i might have even sold my 285 to a guru here cant rem :)

plus the biggy for me is actually i found the 5870 runs certain genres of games better than nvidia ever did. i.e the total war series, so if you are a big aficionado i would say it's worth it for that alone!

17. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah maybe so, lets hope they do something good with the next refresh of the card.

18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    /agreed

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    why do most incist on Parroting Fermi's weakness's?
    i would not be surprized on a 10% boost just from drivers in a months time.
    then maybe 470 is faster then the 5870 outright?
    as for being late???for what? some to bitch at?

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Yeh, there are still people left who need new GPU. ATI made some cash with those 5xxx cards, but there are still people who are going to upgrade to new PC or to new GPU.