GTX 480 keeps downclocking in games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ragz45, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ragz45

ragz45 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Hello all, I've got a bit of a problem. My 480gtx keeps downclocking to idle freq durring gaming, reducing my FPS to sub 20 levels. I've tried going into MSI afterburner and setting my 2d profile to the same clocks as my 3d, and it is still doing the same thing. I also tried reinstalling my video card drivers several times. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate this?

This is a AMP! GTX 480 1536MB 384-bit [ZT-40102-10P]

756/1512/1900 at load ... then drops down to 405/810/1900 randomly. Any help at all at this point would be a godsend.

2. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    open nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings, choose each game you play. In each game profile set the power management mode to performance. That should stop it from clocking down in that game. good luck!

3. russ1

russ1 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Have you tried running your card at stock speeds. Also check your temps and what psu do you have, maybe its not getting enough power under stress. I would run occt gpu stress test as well. I like it because it tells you if you have any artifacts when overclocking and it stresses your card like furmark.

4. Saifz

Saifz Master Guru

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    i guess rma it since its defective

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i wouldnt rma straight away...

sounds more like the card is overheating and then downclocking to reduce temps.

what does msi ab say the temps are?

6. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    if it's an old game, it will downclock due to low gpu usage. this happens to every high end card that is running old games. do what Raptor5150 said and it'll be fine.

if it's a new/recent game (you should be giving us the title when you ask for help), then you may have a problem

7. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I'd do what Raptor5150 suggests. Or as russ1 asked: what kind of power supply do you have? Perhaps your 480 is running out of juice and downclocking.

8. ragz45

ragz45 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Going to try what raptor sugested today, see how that works out. The power supply is brand new 800w, and i'm only running the one card so that shouldn't be an issue.

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    tell us which 800w psu. its important as different brands have different amps on the 12V rail.

ie. my old apevia 900w warlock only had 59A on the 12V rail, whereas my new thermaltake toughpower xt875 (despite having a lower max power rating overall) has 72A on the 12V rail. of the two, the thermaltake toughpower xt875 is much better due to the plentiful amps on the 12V rail.

10. ragz45

ragz45 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    PSU is. Thought it was 800.. but it's a 750, getting old and my memory is failing i guess :wanker:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041&cm_re=ocz-_-17-341-041-_-Product

I played a bit of CoD:BO and another game I'm beta testing this morning. Didn't have any drops in clocks after applying max performance to the global settings in the nvidia cp.

I first added each games exe to the cp and set them for max performance. But I was still getting the drops, but switching the global settings fixed things. Not sure if this is indicative of something or not.

Anyhow, thanks for the help :)

11. The.Doctor

The.Doctor Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 470 @ 725/1725
    That got me when i first installed my GTX 470. Found that tip on a another forums and its worked fine ever since.

Check your temps though, i believe the thermal limit for downclocking the 400s is 105C IIRC? I highly doubt its the PSU in this case.

12. ragz45

ragz45 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Nah temps never got above 56 deg ever.