GTX 460 Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by GazVezir, Aug 1, 2012.

1. GazVezir

GazVezir Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC v2
    Hi there, first of all i'm sorry for my english. Few of my games suffers by stuttering, but only a few seconds (1-5). Only I noticed is in that period the GPU usage drops to zero. First I think that is the hdd (5400 rpm), but in that period while the game stuck the led didn't flash. The games i've noticed this: Crysis (sometimes long 5 seconds freezes), Team Fortress 2 (short freezes). Everything seems to be ok, only the GPU Usage drops. I have absolutely no idea what causes it. Any ideas? Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. Rickyy

Rickyy Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 hawk
    Tried different nvidia drivers?

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Go with with Adaptive Vsync in Team Fortress 2.

5 sec stutter is HUUUGE.

I very much doubt it's due to GPU/drivers - most likely due to some other piece of hardware/driver - network card, audio, SATA controller.

Check your Event Viewer log...

Download latency monitory and try to isolate the offender.

4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I have this issue, or what sounds very similar to your problem with the GTX 470 in a q9550 system powered by a Corsair TX750. GPU usage drops to 0, then stutters, then runs fine again till the next drop (until I figured out how to correct it, it could have been hours or even days in-between drops).

Simply removing and reconnecting the pci-e power connections sort it out. I’ve had the 470 since it was released and have had to do this a total of three times. Other than this problem the card has worked perfect from day one and is still in use.

It’s been over a year now since the last time I had to do this, can’t be positive if it was driver related or not.

Worth a shot.

5. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    At what resolution are you gaming?
    It might be that you are running out of vRAM and it's swapping with the pagefile. During that process the GPU usage is always minimal and it causes lag spikes/stutter.

Try lowering resolution and/or turning off anti-aliasing and see if the problem persists.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    How much memory do you have in that system? If your running 4GB or less, you could be running into memory issues and disk swapping.

7. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    4GB RAM is more than enough to play any game to date. Only Battlefield 3 MP is able to push 4GB systems to the limits, though you'll notice swapping only when leaving the game, not during it.

Crysis is far less of a memory hog, 2GB is enough to max it out without problem.

It does look more like a power issue as clawhamer said.

It's not the first time I see a GTX460 user having this stuttering problem.. Maybe something to do with some bad batchs maybe ?

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Maybe something to do with the fact that until very recently, 460 had the highest market share.
    For every GTX 580 out there stuttering, expected value for GTX 460 exhibiting the same problem is 5.

In the same manner, I will bet right now, that GTX 660 will be the most "problematic" Kepler GPU.

Not because 660 will be a bad card,
    but because the most gaming PCs out there will be equipped with one.

9. GazVezir

GazVezir Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC v2
    Thank you all of your answers.

@Rickyy: I use 301.42 - WHQL from nVidia site. Do you have any idea which is the most useful driver I can download?

@Noisiv: The Event log is clear, there was nothing suspicious while I'm gaming and it suffers from stutter.

@clawhamer: I tried disconnect the card, but the problem is still exist.

@VultureX: I use this for Crysis, the first one: http://www.geforce.com/optimize/optimal-game-settings/Crysis-GeForce-GTX-460-OPS

@Shadowdane: I have 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kingston memory with 64-bit Windows 7.

In Crysis I have less to 5 seconds stuttering, in TF2 just one seconds. I have no idea how can I detect what is the exact issue in this situation, it's driver, or a hardware, the hdd, game related other something.

Here is a picture from Afterburner when I played with TF2: [​IMG]

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Weird.

Do you have any weird processes running in Task Manager?

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Maybe its PSU?

I see he has 450w with "combined 29A" on 12V rails and 460gtx requires at least 24A and 450w psu.

That Thermaltake 450w can be ok, but you never know..

12. GazVezir

GazVezir Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC v2
    @VultureX: Just the usual, I have no 3rd party AV or Firewall.

@-Tj-: My supply have two PCI-E power cable: 6+2pin, 6pin
    When the supply is the weakest point, then I have freezes, reboot, but I haven't.

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Hey Gaz, any chance you can try your card in one of your buddies system.

14. GazVezir

GazVezir Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC v2
    @clawhamer: No, I can't try out.

Here is a new screenshot with Batman Arkham City. I just stand for 5 minutes in a middle of a room. The graph seems to me absolutely not ok. It's too zig-zag and the maximum usage is about 70%. The graphics settings are from nVidia Optimize site with 1920x1080 resolution. Can I begin to worried about that card is "broken"?

Maybe important: the VGA is a bit noisy. It's not the fans, I think it's maybe the capacitor or something and I can only hear when the GPU working.

[​IMG]

15. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    To check hard drive usage to see if stuttering is caused my memory access, open windows 7's resource monitor and go to the "disk" tab.

Some problems like this can be caused by slow disk access.. whats CPU temps like?

16. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    My brother has an almost 2-year-old GTX 460. He is running the card at 810 mhz overclocked since the day he bought it. Up to now it is performing exquisitely well.

Ive seen him play Arkham City and GPU usage is same as yours, around 60-70% with framerates dipping to 49 fps as the lowest, we suspect the fps drops to be a DX11 issue with the game, but we are not sure.

I don't know with Crysis since the game is (in my own opinion) poorly coded. Even the high end machines during the time of release couldnt even play the game without any framerate issues.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Paying attention to your own thread would be a start

18. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I go with the power supply as well, 450w is the bare minimum and even that's a stretch. If you had a decent 600w power supply, I think your stuttering would be a thing of the past.

19. GazVezir

GazVezir Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC v2
    I tested Batman Arkham City again. The first picture shows the same situation. I just stand in a middle of a room five minutes long. The second picture shows continous gaming for just a little while, this signed with the blue border and all of these two situation shows the disk usage too.

@Noisiv: You are right. Yesterday I downloaded Latency Monitor, but I can't figure out how it works. I made a screenshot too, this is the third one.

@twtaylor: Maybe I can switch the PSU to a CoolerMaster Silent Pro 600W. Is it a good PSU for the GTX460?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  20. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    That is a good choice of PSU.