gtx 295 weird temp problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by youngestlinton, Feb 8, 2010.

1. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with my 295. I've been running it fine now for 4 months, but last week I started getting random freezes. To begin with a thought it looked like a hard drive problem, but no. I then realised I'd updated my drivers about 4 days before. So I uninstalled all my nvidia drivers and left the PC running without any for 4 hours, and no freezes! I then went back to the 190 drivers (from 195) but I was still getting crashes.

The freezing leaves everything on the screen but the computer is completely unresponsive. Yet, sometimes, my music continues to play.

After some thinking I thought maybe it was a temperature problem. So I played a little CoD MW2 and temperatures didn't go above about 75oC which should be fine, but STILL it froze. :bang: However, I still had the nagging feeling it was the card. I set the fan to 100% and now I'm getting no freezes... But it's not really a solution, it sounds like a jumbo jet :p

Am I dealing with a dying card? :( It'd odd because I've always been careful and it's never gone above 80oC. Shame.

2. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    hello
    i guess you nead to open and clean it up
    also,you might want to replace the thermal paste with new one

all 2-in-1 gpus owners ,we are coursed by the temp issues

also, make sure the airflow in the case its good

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    psu make and model? amps on 12v rail.?

4. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    Hiper 580w

I understand this is below the minimum but I checked out reviews and they all logged well below that with better hardware and overclocks.

If it was a power issue I'd assume it would happen under load, however the freezing occurs at the windows login screen sometimes too, or just when it's sat on the desktop.

5. Markushka141

Markushka141 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX470
    580 w? i think it is tooooo low.....

6. youngestlinton

youngestlinton Member

GPU:
    GTX295
    It's airflow I think, after taking the side of my case it's all good.

Doesn't really matter if you think 580w is too low, it isn't. It's like people that get over 4GB of RAM when most games don't go over 3GB.

7. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    dazez & confused

8. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    580W isn't too low, but it's definately pushing at the threshold and it will be taxing on your PSU. Overhead is a good thing when it comes to PSU's, as the more you max it out, the less efficient it becomes at delivering stable clean power.

Keep in mind that the TDP of the GTX 295 is nearly 300W, Your CPU when overclocked will be well over 100W, then factor in the rest of the components that have to run off your PSU and you're left with no more power overhead. Your PSU doesn't produce 580W on the 12v rails alone and then you have to factor in the inefficiency of the unit.

In this case, it would be a very good reason to blame it on the PSU, but it's good that you've solved it by other means.

9. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    mine draws nearly 500w from power outlet with prime95 + occt gpu burner

think i could go over with clocking a bit

make new install on other partition with drivers u know works, might be fastest way to see if its hw or sw

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I just got another 295 today for my second rig and it is off by one amps on 12v rail. recommended 46amps. my psu 45amps. OP amps on the 12v on your PSU??

11. cherryghost

cherryghost Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    I have the same prob as OP, and i got a 700W PSU. :3eyes:

12. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I get that every once in a while too I just figure it's driver related.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010