GTX 295 Holds On To The Crown

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LedHed, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    There is one thing in which 295 will fall on its face. DX11, which unlike DX10, comes with 30% performance increase simply from a DX10 -> DX11 port. And its looking like we can benefit from that pretty early in the lifetime of DX11 cards considering AMD has managed to sway quite a few games coming next year to DX11 wagon already.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    True 1 + 1 = 2 theres no way around that :D
    2GPUs = GTX 295 wich its fair to compare to 2 GPUs as well :thumbup:

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    even though it has 2 GPUs it is still a single card running on a single PCI-e 16x slot.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    well if ya wanna get technical the asus mars 295 is the fastest card. its stable enough for a good vantage run before it overheats:wanker:

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    tommyk: yes....... you're comparing two flasgship cards....... but like he said, you're comparing a previous generation card with a current generation card. ATI would be completely idiotic if they couldn't release a card that could surpass the 295 after a year.

Panzer: i'll beleive that whole 30% performance increase when i see it. Just like how DX10 was supposed to offer better performance..... but what did game devs do? take Crysis for instance. They had a bit of extra room to work with, and crammed every detail into it that they could. And if i'm not mistaken, the same thing will almost certainly be done in Crysis 2 as well. Not to mention as i've said before, the only people who should even remotely care about DX11 right now are those who want to upgrade NOW.... not wait a few months.... and are concerned about future advancements. THEN they should consider DX11. right now... that's all it is... future-proofing. And just like when DX10 came out.... it'll probably be a good 6-8 months before anything remotely worthwhile rears it's shiny DX11-ified head.

6. Frenchlick

Frenchlick Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 /32"LCD
    How is it ATI's flagship card when the 5870x2 is just around the corner literally. Ok on a technicality it is their current flagship but it wont be for long so to have a single gpu trading blows with a dual gpu card is promising indeed, and obviously the 5870x2 will blow the GTX 295 out of the water which it should being new tech and all. I've gone from running 2 x 295s which I loved to 3 x 5870s which so far seems great in games and benching just needs an improvement in scaling with three cards at driver level which will hopefully also help with the cpu bottleneck a bit.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can't believe this thread is still going on. If you have a GTX295 then yeah, it would be utterly retarded to upgrade to a 5870. But if you are in the market for a new card right now, you can't in a million years tell me that a GTX295 is a better buy. If you honestly believe it is, then you're out of your mind.

I mean I seriously don't get what all the GTX295 people want others to say, that your card and you are vastly superior to the rest of us? It's like bragging about your car's horsepower is more than everyone else's. But, in the end, you still lose the race. Having a previous generation card beat a current generation card isn't exactly rare. It happened with the 9800Pro vs Nvidia FX series and with the 9800GX2 vs GTX280.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  8. Frenchlick

Frenchlick Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 /32"LCD
    There's nothing retarded about changing to a 5870 at all if your a big bencher as well as gamer which I am. I'll probably get 5870x2s when they come out plus the new nvidia cards cos that's what I do I bench first and always love new tech to play with and conquer. All these top end cards pretty much play any game at max so that just comes as a bonus.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    A normal gamer upgrades maybe once a year and if they already have a GTX295 it would definitely be a retarded decision to go from that to a 5870 for a year. I think it was pretty obvious that I wasn't referring to someone who can afford to buy multiple cards as they see fit.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Um no, it's just that a new piece of hardware hit the market and fell short of dethroning the 295, that is what this thread is about.

11. Frenchlick

Frenchlick Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 /32"LCD
    All good m8

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ok fine, the GTX295 is slightly faster in benchmarks than the 5870. In the bigger picture the 5870 is still the better card though.

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    So in a nutshell a 5870x2 will be much better then, also hopefully when a x2 does come out then hopefully the drivers will be somewhat better

14. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/09/23/ait-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-review/9

15. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay until ATI comes out with a similarly configured card, the dual GPU GTX 295 still eeks out a win HOOORAY! That isn't news or a surprise to anyone who was paying attention to the leaked specs. I'm more curious about the next Nvidia single GPU offering to see if they can keep up the pace with a competitive product price and performance wise.

18. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Im holding out for the 5870 x2. I bet that buy the time it will be released Nvidia is still trying to launch its GT3XX series.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    And that is why you gave it the title "GTX 295 Holds On To The Crown"
    No offense, but that sounds fan-boy, what ever you are or not.

20. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    +1 too that
    Lets not forget the 5870 only has one chip where the 295 has 2 but lets wait for the x2 and some driver improvements

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.