GTX 295 Holds On To The Crown

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LedHed, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CocainHore

CocainHore Master Guru

GPU:
    4850 \ waiting for Fermi
    actually some of the benchis are faulty.

and the 295GTX can take the crown for being the most warmest \ expensive \ and none-future proof buy on the way along with the crown the topic says it takes :] its a dual gpu based card.

AMD has the crown actually till nvidia will come out with its G300 series again, with higher prices probably slighly better performance and the most important - they will do what they are always doing the best :
    optimizations for future games for marketing, unlike AMD that for me holds the real crown.

performance vs price im happy i decided to pass on nvidia over the years, ATI is the way.

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    slightly better performance? you must not read.....it's the 5870 that has little performance difference then last gen, and the GT300, that ofcourse is yet to be proven, that is looking like it'll be another large leap (like the 8800 GTX), ofcourse, nothing is final till the day it comes out, but to now come up with the conclusion that it'll be a "slightly better performance" card, is ignorant

4. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    well this thread had/has nothing more realy to offer.
    We all know some games one wins, some games the other wins, if you have a GTX295 and you buy a 5870 its kinda silly, but to each their own.
    If you buy a new GPU with out waiting to see what NV might have to offer its kinda silly, but again to each their own.

5. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Agreed, this whole thread is a bit funny. But be honest, I "only" have a 550w Coolermaster PSU. A GTX295 wouldnt get enough juice. So the total investment would be higher because of the need of a new PSU. When I want to buy a 5870 wich uses just as much power as the card I currently own, I won't have to make that extra investment in order to get it working.
    A 5870 X2 is a no-go for me, and neither will be other cards which require you to buy another PSU.

6. CocainHore

CocainHore Master Guru

GPU:
    4850 \ waiting for Fermi
    the 5870 has an incredibly nice features on high res, upcoming DX11, a very sweet power consumption and price point.
    so overall i see it as a really nice card, maybe you don't see the overall improvement.

yeah exactly.

the new 300 series will be slightly faster and again more game "optimized" like every series.

ATI bring you the fastest single gpu card 2 months earlier than Nvidia, at a reasonable price - eventually Nvidia will release its 300 series and at the end they will be slightly better than the new Radeons.

whats so ignorant about it ? this is my opinion about whats going to happen, and im basin it on every Geforce i had over the years, whice i payed almost 2 times over a Radeon and the performance was almost identical.

but thanks for your comment.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  7. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    You are comparing apples and oranges here. GTX295 is a dual gpu card, the 5870 is a single gpu card. I'm not at all surprised the 295 will be better overall. But I do believe unless Nvidia lowers its price, the 5870 is currently a better value.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I would turn it this way, if you consider upgrading and your choice is between a GTX285 or a 5870, the 5870 will give you most value for your money.
    Did a price check here, and found the cheapest 5870 to cost only 30$ more then the cheapest GTX285.

If your one of the guys playing with multiple monitors, the 5870 is the thing for it, IF it supports current games in the same way (somehow I doubt that).

If you own a GTX260 and up SLI setup or even a GTX295, the 5870 won't bring you much.

Under all circumstances, the 5870 is still a remarkable piece of hardware, which will help to push our graphic experience further, no matter which next generation card you may buy later on.

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    So the only thing you have on the 58xx's is the exhaust port being 'small' (which is hardly a failing in design - since it works fine) and the fact that in 'some' titles it gets a fair few more fps considering driver support is in early stages there's a bit of play yet, right.

10. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Just stop this madness already. I am tired reading this same waste of time discussion [my e peen is bigger than yours] in every goddamn forum these days. Both are good cards, but now its time to retire the old horse you call 295. 295 will remain a good performing card, but HD 5870 no doubt is the choice when buying new.

My only complaints about HD 5870 are a bit loud cooler for my liking and the fact I can't afford both CF and good case with the current prices.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009

11. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Didn't you just slap your " e peen " into this though ?

I agree though. WTF is with you guys ? Don't you have anything else more important to care about than ATi or NVIDIA ? They both are laughing to the bank because of guys like you anyway.

It's the same story with Microsoft and Sony when it comes to consoles. Everybody wants to side with the console they own, but WTF, you don't own stock in Sony or Microsoft and neither gives a **** about you anyway, so it's all just.. whatever.

12. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    What I meant by "value" is.. If you had to buy a new card today, and had $500 to spend. The 5870 would be a better value. Price to performance ratio is to good to pass up. Now, if Nvidia were to lower the 295 to $380, then the 295 would be the better value.

Now here is the kicker. Some 295 models w/1792mb are still selling for $750+. Thats the equivalent of two 5870's.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    People need to feel like their purchase is justified. ESPECIALLY for electronics.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Cheapest GTX295 with 1792mb (Gainward) I quick can find here cost 500$
    One thing that just came to mind, aren't all the 5870 review tests made with the 1GB version of the GTX285?
    The 1.7GB version costs those 30$ more, and I remember to have seen somewhere that it scales better at high resolutions.

15. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    There is so much hatred, anger, bullying, frustration and pure idiotism related to PC hardware. Ppl become jerks when they open up their browser.

Seriously, who cares. Buy HD 5870 or 295 or whatever you want to and go game with it, not bitch to others on internet forums. Enjoy you have choices.

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Whats the fun part in owning hardware and knowing that your neighbor has faster one ? If you can argue and know that in some cases you have better hardware then it's fun to pick up people and let them know how good stuff you have.

Just like cars, rwd, awd, fwd, Japanese, European, American... ...And in gpu's, single card, dual gpu in one pcb, 2 cards, Nvidia or ATI...

If you just use your car to drive from place A to place B, then it doesn't really matter what kind of car you have, but if you know much about every car out there and it's your hobby, then ofc it matters which one you have.

If you just play games at quite low resolution and don't know much about PC hardware then it doesn't matter, but if you have good PC and few thousand posts in PC forum, then it does matter what you have.

17. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Sorry, but this thread is just asking for drama :)

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    almost as funny as people with their Asus Mars 295 threads and not actually getting them...

but seriously, a 295 kicks ass and so does the ati 5870 too

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why are people comparing dual GPU to single GPU????? Yes, GTX295 is considered a "single card" solution....but did everyone forget that it's still a DUAL GPU card? Of course it's going to win some....there's still 2 GPU's on that card. Wait until HD5870X2 comes out.....compare 2 dual GPU cards. This is why I hate graphic card releases....people want to compare a single GPU card to a dual GPU card and talk about how the DUAL GPU card beat the single GPU card. Half of the pro-GTX295 posts here that I've seen, look just nVidia's marketing team hard at work. If you want to compare GTX295 to HD5870 in any way...look at the Crossfire results for HD5870. THAT is the closest you'll get to an accurate comparison until HD5870X2 comes along.

"Fanbois are people too....they just lack any acceptable degree of intelligence"

20. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    I am definately comparing performance numbers to the old top model. Doesn't matter if it has 1, 2 3 or 4 GPUs, but I certainly am interested to know how it fairs with a competitive card in roughly same price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.