GTX 295 Folding Headaches (Need Help)

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by LedHed, Jun 14, 2009.

1. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Ok So I followed this guide exactly: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc4

And I also used these Target (Shortcut) tweak commands:

-verbosity 9
    -local
    -forcegpu nvidia_g80

and of course the obvious: -gpu 1 and -gpu 0

However no matter what I try (extending desktop/single GPU mode) I keep getting the same error:

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a dummy plug, but I figure if this guy can run x17 GTX 295s with out dummy plugs then I should be able to run one 295 without them: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18028

Hopefully someone has some idea of what I'm doing wrong but here are both of my shortcut commands:

GPU0:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0 -verbosity 9 -local -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Start In: C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu

GPU1:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 1 -verbosity 9 -local -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Start In: C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu2

My App Data/Roaming folders look like this:

[​IMG]

If there is anymore useful information that could be used to diagnose this problem please let me know what you need.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    tried without OC? :/

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    my GPU isn't OCed and this isn't the CPU Folding program, I doubt my CPU idling has anything to do with the GPU Folding program (not to mention my CPU is stable 30 passes of IBT Max Stress)

Also I just got this message in FahMon:

4. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I think the last messsage from F@H is because of the number of WU results sent in a short time. (ignor it).

I had a the same kind of problem when I tried to fold on a 8800gt aswell as my GTX275, F@H would report unstable machine, the project would start then shut down after 10-20 seconds then send results (then repeat).

All of my setup was done as the guides every thing seemed ok it just would not work.
    Until (By accident) I started the second client from the original program shortcut created from the install in my programs list, you could try the same (no promises).

Also (and it probably makes no difference) it looks like you are running the AMD/ATI version of F@H try using the one for Nvidia (only difference is meant to be the viewer, but it may help).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Why do you think I'm running the ATI version? I have a huge NVIDIA symbol in the top left corner while using the display.

Thanks for the other suggestions and I'll try them and report back.

6. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    In your screenshot it shows amdcalcl.dll and amdcalrt.dll I do not have them in my setup, and I am running the Nvidia version (I did say it may not make a difference).

Also why 2 x Log files?? have you done an uninstal/reinstal without deleting these two folders?

7. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Not really sure about the log files, if it's not normal I'll just delete one or cut it into a backup folder.

8. I know your using the GPU-folding program, but regardless have you tried your cpu at stock(another person posted the same problem and it was fixed when they ran their cpu at stock).

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    If I have to down clock my CPU in order to use Folding then I just wont bother, everything else runs perfectly (Gaming/Intel Burn Test 30 passes/OCCT/Prime95 11hrs) and this isn't a stability issue. MANY people on the folding forum fixed this "unstable machine" error by using a dummy plug, but I was trying to find another fix.

Not to mention this only happens with DUAL GPU, if I just run Folding normally it's completely fine and I get great performance. I'm trying to troubleshoot a multi-gpu issue, not stability..

I understand that people want to jump to the most common answer, but try to go a little deeper into the software instead of just reading my specs and assuming.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  10. I see your point, and I completely agree with what you're saying, I guess I was just thinking off the top of my head.

11. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli

Have you got this to work yet?

The Atlas folding farm is great for sure but it does not say what OS is used,
    Vista can be a pig! when doing multi gpu setups, you may have to resort to a VGA dummy or second monitor/VGA input. I used a dummy on my second GTX275 as I have my Xbox360 on my monitors second input.

Good luck.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
  13. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    Even with running just the one instance of F@H?

Try contacting J_J_B he had a GTX295 folding on both GPU's (although he does seem to have stopped folding now!!!).

14. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Oh I can run one core fine, but that isn't the point of this thread.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Seems like they need to make a multi-core GPU client....multi-GPU configurations are getting more popular every generation....no reason not to make a client to take advantage of them.

16. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    Yes a new more easy to configuer client would make life a lot easier for many people, the same goes for the smp client.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  17. zerocool1337

zerocool1337 New Member

GPU:
    asus trifan hd4870x2
    i have an ati hd 4870X2 and the catalyst control center say my gpu is using 97%, is it then using 2 gpu? of single

18. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    there should be a drop down to look at the different cores, if not tyr GPU-Z.

19. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    It will be running just 1 core on ur 4870X2, You need to set up 2 individual clients and force it to run...Its been quite a while since i had both cores running and cant remember how to set it properly..:3eyes: