1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 295 Advice

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Robustica, Jul 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Robustica

Robustica Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 +9800GT Physx
    Here's my dilemma; I'll try to be short and sweet.

I currently have one XFX GTX 295 Single PCB (works great) installed in my system. I have another GTX 295 on its way to me in the mail.

I am trying to decide if I should unwrap it when it arrives and run quad SLI (my system is completely capable), or if I should sell it on eBay, pocket the cash, and buy a GTX 300 when it comes out (I have no idea when these cards are coming out, or if the 1st gen model will even be stable enough to bother with).

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/morbid comments? :nerd:

2. georaldc

georaldc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    I could never find any reason to go above SLI unless you like to play Crysis at obscene resolutions with lots and lots of AA. I mean, I'm sure even my single 275 plays every game flawlessly up to 1920 resolutions, so a 295 should be enough to max out any game between now and the release date of the next batch of cards. What res do you play at?

3. Robustica

Robustica Member

GPU:
    I play at 1900x1200. There is ground to be had in some games (Crysis, Stalker, etc.), so I thought quad might get me to all settings max in those games.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i'd get the 300 as 2x295 would be 2 hot and noisy for my liking unless water0cooled.

5. Robustica

Robustica Member

GPU:
    I've customized my case to run fairly cool (GPU is 72-73 Celsius under load) with air cooling, so heat isn't an issue. Noise doesn't really bother me either.

My main concern is performance. Would two GTX 295s be better than one GTX 300 when it comes out?

6. georaldc

georaldc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    There's really no way to tell since obviously they aren't out yet, but I guess it'll be similar to comparing quad sli 9800gx2 cards to say, a GTX 285. I believe the 285 still works better at higher resolutions with AA and provide much more stable framerates since it should give out a higher minimum FPS. The same thing should happen with the 300 cards.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the 300 cards will have a new architecture? Might make for a big change in performance.

7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Well, it's safe to target the GTX380's performance at GTX295 rates... with the GTX380 pulling ahead.

One GTX295 should be there abouts, so you'd expect Quad SLI to beat it.

But as georaldc said, with it being a revised architecture, we don't know how it will perform in comparison to the GT200's... yet.

8. Robustica

Robustica Member

GPU:
    Well said, and a good point. I guess the thing I have to decide is at what point will the single newest GT300 card beat a Quad SLI GTX 295 setup. If the 1st GT300 out of the gate will beat my quad SLI, then I'll not use SLI and save the cash for a 300.

If it's going to take a year of driver and hardware maturity for ANY single 300 card to catch up to 295 quads, then I'll use quad now and upgrade farther down the road.

Does that make sense, or am I just whistling Dixie out of my ass? (I realize this is pretty subjective as the 300 series cards aren't out yet, I'm just asking for someone who is experienced to give a little guidance)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Personally, i'd expect Quad SLI GTX295 to generally be better than the GTX380. While the architecture naturally will be more efficient, i don't think the performance increase inherant to a new generation of shaders would pit 512 up against 960 if quad SLI was working as it should.

10. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    I dont recommend Quad SLI of GTX295, microstuttering is visible noticeably, with TRI SLI its acceptable, with minimum microstuttering.

11. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    put em in and set 64Qaa or 32Qaa, gamma correction on, transparency supersampling, 16x anisotrophic filtering and ofc anisotrophic optimisation off

and then see if any games choke :D

12. Robustica

Robustica Member

GPU:
    Seems like most of that has been resolved via drivers.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :nerd:

13. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
  14. Robustica

Robustica Member

GPU:
    Oh, well that's good to know. I've been investigating a little more and what I've found agrees with you. All SLI has some amount of micro stuttering, but it seems quad SLI amplifies that to a pretty noticeable level.

Looks like I'll be eBaying my other new EVGA GTX 295 and use my single GTX 295 until the new GT300 series comes out late this year or early next year.

Anybody in the market? :)

15. benne

benne Member

GPU:
    evga 275 sli
    If you really want to have some fun.
    SAy if you purchased it from some BIG ONLINE retailer,just use it for less then 30 days or before whatever the warrenty is.
    You send it back because it is not working and they send you a brand new one back then just selll that one unopened.

you could benchmark vantage and o3 3d app for the guru benchmark team............... we could use the help

16. LabShark

LabShark Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX70 SLI
    I haven't had much trouble with microstuttering. And my 2 x 295s are way cooler than my 3 x 280s. Much quieter too as I can run them at a much lower fan speed.

17. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    +1 My overclocked GTX 275 runs Crysis at 1920X1080 on Vista 64 DX9 with everything set to high and 4XAA at 34-50fps.

Quad SLI is just obsured IMO.

18. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Early rumors suggest that the GTX 300 will be atleast as powerful as a GTX 295. Factor in that a high powered single GPU solution is better overall because it does not depend on SLI profiles and it doesnt produce microstutter.

Sell that other GTX 295 and save your money up for the GTX 300.

19. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming SLI
    I'm not going to dispute the results someone else may have had, but I've personally owned 2 295's since right around the time they were released, and probably played 10x's, or more, the number of games on them as what they benchmark in that article. I've never had any microstutter while playing a game. Now I'm not going to argue the for the merits of 4GPU's here, but don't assume one person's perception necessarily represents everyone's experience.

20. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Yeah i know, but i read more people had problems with it, but also some people told me they didnt encounter any problems, must be related to pc components.