GTX 290 info

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MAD-OGRE, Nov 13, 2008.

1. scurvy

scurvy Banned

GPU:
    Asus 8800 Ultra OCd
    Wow bud, bet u can beat all the liquid cooled benchmark records just by opening the windows over there hah???
    :)

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Agreed. Stupid to talk about dx11 that will come when /if vienna ever releases, and who wanna switch to vienna instantly now when vista is finally working decent?

Laughable to say the least :)

/edit

Also why even bother to discuss all this talk about 8800GTX/Ultra VS 280GTX ( and an OCed 8800 GTX is performing just the same as an Ultra, and for some wierd reason sometimes better )?

All benches say diffrent things, and they all feature diffrent hardware to propell the gpu. In many benches the 8800ultra SLI'd ( Oced gtx ) Performs better then a 280 and 4870x2, this is due to OCing where it in some tests doesn't perform as well, all cus the system powering it cannot feed the cards enough data.

Now ofc 280 GTX is faster then a 8800 GTX, but 2x 8800 GTX once brought up to 630/2000 close to ultra speeds are giving more fps / dollar then a single 280 GTX does at the same settings.

I mean I can dig up a review in 15 s..1..2...3......4........15.. oh here it is:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Crysis-v1-21,758.html

Oh, what do we see 2x 8800 Ultras top 280 GTX, what a surprise...and I could just as easily dig up an interview where a singl 280 GTX annhilates 2x 8800 Ultras in the same game, all with the diffrence it is a slower system powering the rig.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    All Nvidia and Ati cards in the last couple of years have been based on the same basic technology, but with regular increases in transistor count, smaller processes and other general optimisations/additions, but that doesn't make them any less impressive.

I think people are under the impression that ati have delivered a technological marvel when infact they have simply moved to a smaller process before nvidia, the smaller and more efficient fabrication process has ensured a higher transistor count /more shader units and lower costs and in the case of the 4870x2 two gpu's on a pcb.

Once nvidia moves to the smaller process ati will have no advantage unless they can move to an even lower fabrication, on a card to card performance basis ati can not compete with nvidia so hopefully ati can continue to keep their prices relatively lower and ensure nvidia doesn't charge extortionary prices once they do release higher performing cards.

ps. Those people saying the gtx 280 is not a major improvement over the 8800 GTX should know that at higher res (1920x1200+) and with high levels of AA the gtx 280 comprehensively outperformed my 8800 GTX's in sli in both average and min fps.

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Just like memory size, x2 cards are limited to the memory bandwidth of a single card due to memory cloning.

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Sort of related... that's why I'm scrapping my original plans to go SLI with my 8800GT. It's a hell of a card and two would be more powerful than the GTX 280 but the memory bandwidth gets in the way. There would be too many situations where I'd be held back from the framebuffer alone. Especially since I'm going to upgrade to 19x12 screen soon(currently 16x10). Man I wish I had the 1gb memory version...

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    1GB ddr3 on a 8800 GT is of no use as it can't be effectively accessed when required due to the 256-bit bus width, once you go to resolutions above 1680x1050 and turn up the IQ most cards with ddr3 and a 256-bit bus will be choked for memory bandwidth.

Also at 1920x1200 the gtx 280 will in most situations be significantly more powerful than any last generation sli setup, unless you turn texture/aa settings down.

ps. The important thing to note is that a gtx 280 will generaly provide higher min fps which translates into a much smoother gaming experience.

7. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    well for me at least this is a needed upgrade. With only 320 of vram and having up grading to a 32in 1920x1080p HDTV I can't run anything at high anymore. I am just trying to decide whether to go with the 270 or 290. Most likely the 290 cause then less of a chance I might want to upgrade.

Hopefully they are really quiet compared to the 65nm versions which are just absurdly loud when the fan cranks up. Which is why I love my G80 so much I can't even hear it.

8. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I agree the 280 is better at giving you higher min fps. I play with V-sync so I could care less about getting anything over 60fps. I still think if you are about to upgrade wait for the 290. I would entertain an x2 version but the driver support on the 9800gx2 scares the hell out of me!

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    According to this the ram is holding back the 8800gt in sli because the 1gb version scales correctly in all games tested. Especially in Crysis with AA in very high quality it's really bad for the 512mb version.

Edit* - Actually I just scrolled through it all and Crysis was the only game to benefit from the extra ram. I'm sure newer games would too and probably Stalker Clear Sky but by the time the new games come around the 8800GT sli wouldn't have enough oomph anyway. I'll just SLI the new 55nm part that's coming out.

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Yea the 1Gb provide minimal if any gains; I originally was looking at the GTS 1Gb, but decided against it when I saw the benches. The increase in cost wasn't worth the 1-2fps.

I can't wait to see these 55nm G206 reviews though!

I wonder what type of clock speeds we'll see. Hopefully there will be more of an increase in clock speed than the 55nm G92 vs 65nm G92.

Sounds kind of pricey, I may have to wait a little longer if it is going to be that much. How much of an actual performance increase are they expecting from C2D? Also are all i7 mobos going to run that much at first?

Edit: your link answered my question :)

[​IMG]

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    led just upgrade to a e8600 and a cheap p45 or 780i mb and some ddr2 1000 ram,for gaming you wont know the differance if your not using 2 or 3 video cards.

e
    oh where that ss come from lol

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Yea, that is what I was thinking at first, but if the increase in cost will be worth it down the road it may make sense to invest, considering I've waited this long through the life of C2D.

I guess I'll make the call when I get $1100 saved up. I figure that should pay for a i7 mobo/CPU/RAM and at least one GPU.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    bah a good e85 or e86 will last you till they refresh the i7 if no need for multi card set-ups
    cpu $188
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036
    ram$60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148206
    mb sli 780i $200 with mir
    thats under 500 damn with the extra cash you might get two gtx270 or what ever they will be called
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188027
    or $140 evga recertafide
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188037

a great p45 mb for single card
    $200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136059
    even a good p35 for sigle card you can find for 150ish
    maybe add a psu?
    or just save the extra cash even:)

14. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Nice setup, I have been eying the 780i FTW since the release, very nice mobo. However wouldn't it make sense for me to go Quad? I know last time I was purchasing a CPU (XP3200+ -> X2 4200+) people were saying how dual core was a bad idea and how much faster single core is. If I hadn't bought a dual then I would have had to upgrade before now and I'm wondering if the same is going to apply to Quads down the road.

Oh well, I'll sit on it for a while and see what I feel like doing around X-Mas. That is a very good price for great performance, I mean I spent more on my BenQ FP241W than that entire setup.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well from purely a gaming standpoint quad is nice for 3d06,but not much anything else lol.we'll heard since the q6600 that next yrs games will use more cores but i'm still waiting.
    now if you have other reasons for a quad that would help you in other apps well so be it.
    otherwise 775 intel socket might even last a few yrs
    anyways sry for offtopic.

well i got 80days left on my 260's step ups lol

16. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I have 2 8800GT's in SLI and Crysis rapes the 512mbs of Vram.
    I also have slow downs in WOW, and some other games, 512 is just not enogh any more.

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I play on one G92 8800 GTS @ 1920x1200 on 512mb. It is definitely do-able, you just have to dial down some IQ settings to keep it below the 512mb VRAM limit.

18. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I honestly think getting a quad that overclocks well right now is the way to go. They are not extremely expensive like they used to be and future proofing pays off bigtime if you can shrug off the upgraditis. Plus I just don't see the prices dropping a whole lot more than they already have except for some of the 45nm(lga 775) parts, those I think will come down some when i7 sales pick up.

It also helps that you have overclocked your card to hell and back am I right? I only overclocked mine to 756/1890/950 and got about a 15% increase in performance, and in Crysis it was very noticeable.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  19. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    I think that this die-srink will be a nice overclock and cheap option, but with very short live, or I´m wrong.

New core coming early 09, and probability this one coming with DDR5, so will be a big jump in performance, more big than GTX280 over 8800.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Yea, at the resolution I run my overclock really helps. I'm running it at 1.38V and it's stable up to 875 on the core, but performance drops off. Sweet spot at 864 and the rest are maxed.