GTX 290 info

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MAD-OGRE, Nov 13, 2008.

1. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

To me, that's no excuse for fanboyism. And there are a **** ton of nVidiots posting in ATI sections, as much as there are ATI dumbasses posting in nVidia sections. Look for any post by scurvy, unless he's already been banned or his posts have been deleted.

That means nothing. ATI fanboys shouldn't be posting in the ATI section (or anywhere), just because it's the section set aside for discussing ATI products. Fanboyism should never be encouraged - these companies owe NOTHING to the consumers. They aren't creating products to serve you. Any economics course will first teach you that the first and primary goal of any firm is to generate profits. nVidia and ATI are both firms that serve themselves first - any service done to consumers like us is merely a side-effect. These companies don't care about us, and never will. Loyalty to any company does not serve anybody but the company.

Wasn't this evidenced by that whole price-fixing thing with nVidia and ATI? A common rumor I've come across, and so far accept to be at least close to the truth, is that the GeForce 9800 GX2 was purposely limited by nVidia in poor driver support, so it wouldn't continue beating out the GTX 280, and would give reason for people to buy the more expensive product - another example of this phenomenon.

Back on-topic to this thread, do you guys think nVidia will go down the same route with the GTX 295 as they did with poor driver support for the 9800 GX2 (and apparently with the 7950 GX2)? I think ATI will follow suit with the HD 4870 X2 when (or rather if; I'm not a fan of this "we can't beat nVidia in the single-GPU card department, so let's stick two GPUs together on one card to win" policy) they create a single-GPU card that match it/beat it out.

- PR-0927

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Sweeeeet, I've been waiting for the GTX300 series or drivers from ATI which don't piss me off but if there is going to be a long gap between the GTX290 and the GTX300 series I might buy the 290.

The problem is that nVidia have been really greedy lately. When all is said and done it ends up costing ~$620 for a GTX280, there is no way in hell I'm paying that much.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Yeah I'm dying for GT300...
    This generation is boring me

4. scurvy

scurvy Banned

GPU:
    Asus 8800 Ultra OCd
    My reputation precedes me. :D

5. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    So you have heard a rumour, yes? Well then it's gotta be true. I used to own a 7950GX2, and it ran quite spectacularly when SLi profiles were functioning. Whenever the driver didn't have a profile, it was more of a problem but I still was usually able to run the game all right. For a card that was the first attempt at making dual GPU available for the masses, it wasn't that awful a card.

The 9800GX2 is a great card and over the last 9 months I came across only one or two games that caused issues. Most notably FarCcy2 didn't fare well in Dx10 on release, but that was fixed. I think that's a pretty good track record. The card is faster than a 260 and sometimes trounces the 280. You will always find a game that a card won't run properly. It's usually fixed with the next beta driver, though. GTA4 is a case in point, which doesn't even run on the 4xxx-series ATi cards with the current driver.

6. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    When I had my HD3850, I could run GTA4 on medium/high with 20 or so FPS. It only had 256MB of video memory as well. It's a mixed bag with that game, some machines will run fair, some won't. All we can do is wait for the magical patch.

7. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Exactly my point! What I'm saying is that because a couple of games give you problems, it doesn't mean that the manufacturer of the card (9800GX2 in the above example) is deviously out to get you. It just means that between the games developer and the driver team, somebody seriously fubar'd the quality testing.

8. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Well, good to hear then. Again, this was just a rumor I heard, and as no one had said anything against it, I was more inclined towards believing it.

Hopefully ATI will keep on the same track with its dual-GPU solutions. I do prefer single-GPU cards, however. Hopefully the next king-of-the-hill after the GTX 295 will be a single-GPU card (probably after the HD 5870 X2 or whatever ATI makes next).

- PR-0927

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
  10. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    I'm pretty sure multi-gpu solutions are here to stay. Looking at the 280 chip, it seems to me that single-gpus are starting to hit the ceiling of what is feaseble while still making a good return on investment. Granted, the chips will be getting faster still, but it seems muchb easier for a company to slap 2 or more together and create a faster card this way. So one step will create a faster chip, the second step will create the dual-card version. I just hope that if these solutions are here to stay, both Nvidia and AMD put some good people onto their driver teams.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...et_Offence_with_New_GeForce_GTX_200_Chip.html

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I'm ready to upgrade. C'mon Nvidia, I may have enough for two of these suckers if they wait long enough. If they wait till the end of Jan. I'll have enough for two high end coolers to slap on there also. SLI'd volt modded GTX 295's sounds about right.

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I think one will be plenty for me @ 1920x1200 (BenQ FP241W). Not to mention I can't run SLI :(

14. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Member

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX (630/1000)
    I hope you're not planning to power them with your 550w PSU, it would die the next second. In fact on GTX 295 SLI's case I don't even know if 1000w would be enough, better build a nuclear plant to be sure with those things. Oh you would also need to move into with the penguins, those cards (volt modded also!) would melt iron

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    You realize the dual solution will have 55nm GT206's right? There won't be any heat demon of a card (the dual 65nm GT200 card would be entirely too hot) because of this shrink in processing and lower power usage.

16. scurvy

scurvy Banned

GPU:
    Asus 8800 Ultra OCd
  17. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    LedHed ! Gratz on your upgrade ! :)
    Just noticed haha. Your systems specs seem much less scary now...

Quad-SLi ? o_O Volt modded ?
    Oh God... You're one lucky duck :biggun:

18. clairvoyant129

clairvoyant129 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 480 SC+
    Moore's Law NEVER stated that performance doubled everyone 18 months. It states that transistors double on an IC every 24 months. Just because you have double the number of transistors in an IC, it doesn't mean performance will double.

It's a common misconception, Moore never stated that performance would double every 18 months, it was an Intel colleague who suggested that performance would double every 18 months.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    income tax is a beautiful thing. Not to mention I sued a guy for his dog biting my daughter for $150,000. Everyone in my family is getting upgrades lol.

20. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Member

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX (630/1000)
    The 289W TDP (http://tinyurl.com/5b38vt) would ensure for it, don't worry. 55nm or not...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008