GTX 285 Upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xandor, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Xandor

Xandor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285
    Hi I got a GTX 560 to replace my GTX285.

I was wondering if I can SLI these two cards?

If not can I use the old one for PhysX? Is this worth doing?

If not what is the old GTX285 worth used? Not sure what to do with it.

Lastly, why is the retail on the 285 so much more (100$) than the 560! Isnt the 560 a better card? Maybe it just does the DX11 and the 285 is actually faster?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    The GTX285 was a high-end GPU very expensive to produce, the retail price won't drop anymore and it's only available through remaining stocks, the chip is no more produced. The GTX560 on the other hand is a mid-end GPU mass produced and new.

-The GTX560 is faster than GTX285.
    -You can't SLi two different cards.
    -You can use the GTX285 for physX, but seems a bit useless looking at how much games use it with GPU acceleration/efficiently.
    -I don't see any much use for your card other than gaming/HD video decoding/PhysX dedicated card or CUDA calculator.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Welcome!

About the price of GTX285, depending who made it, I have seen few sold at a bit over 100€, so something like $125 USD perhaps. Ti3Kob did answer everything else.

4. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I sold my 285 a few months ago on Ebay for $175 plus shipping to 'macvidcards'. I assume he reflashes them for use in Apple computers. This would certainly be profitable, given the huge markup on their products.

edit - Ebay has an 'average price paid for your item' function available when you make out your listing, and I believe it was around $200 at the time. I was using the card for PhysX, but sold when I saw what people were paying. :banana:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011