GTX 285 - serious 3D Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Santa666, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Hi fellow guruians, i ran into a problem which i am not really able to figure out.
    My system specs are viewable in my profile, but that was not the same
    in the beginning of my "Quest".
    First off: missing specs and things done, temperatures and available readings as far as supported by the BIOS.
    All tests were performed with an additional Soundblaster Audigy2ZS on various PCI-Slots, onboard Sound instead of that, 4096MB RAM (2*2GB)
    Dual Channel, 2048MB RAM (1*2GB RAM) single channel seated in various Slots, with and without an additional PCI DVB-S Card (Technotrend S-2300)
    and two different Mainboards. Before getting the Asus one I owned a Biostar TP35D2-A7, newest available BIOS installed. Switched Mainboard because i thought the PCI-Express 16x Slot capable only of PCI-Express 1.1a was the core of Evil, turned out it was not...
    Operating System: Windows XP Prof SP3, every Driver up to date, Forceware tried various from 185.85 to 252.71

The Problem:
    In all 3D-Games the Screen after a time Freezes with actually playing sound further with periodically stuttering. Most of this is just "repairable" by a Hard Reset. In Civilization 4 (and each of the Expansions) the Error shows some more "profile", messing up the Textures of the Landscape within the first 5 minutes after starting and turning the Menu Fonts into unreadable Blocky mess. 3D-Games Hard Locking are (tested) Counterstrike: Source, Left4Dead 2, DIRT, DIRT2, GRID, Crysis, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage, Crazy Machines 2, Portal and the whole Tales of Monkey Island Series.

So i went a bit into research, looked at the Temperatures (GPU full load does not exceed 80°C due to manually cranked Fan over Rivatuner) CPU Temperatures under Full Load not higher than 52°C. Northbridge always below 40°C. Cooling devices installed are 3*120mm Fans, 1 blowing from the Front to the Graphics Card, 1 cooling the CPU blowing to the Rear and directly behind that the last one blowing out the Warm Air out of the Case.
    I also switched the Power Supply for a BeQuiet! Combat Power 750W
    temporarily (20A on two 12V Rails) but had the same issues.
    I let the machine calculate via BOINC in the Spare Time (CPU&GPU Tasks)
    where nothing is happening to indicate a faulty Hardware.
    One thing which really shows an Error indication loggable is the (quite old-getting) piece of Freeware VMT (Vram-Tester), which i run under Windows, mainly because the CE-Version only shows 14MB Video Memory, getting lines saying
    Error at [3F9E0D00]: must be 00FF, but found 0000 (bits: 0000000011111111) beginning at the 3rd test and continueing this way with Upcounting addresses.
    Secondly GPU-Caps Viewer is showing flashing black rectangles in the Lightbeams of the HDR, Dof and Radial Blur Test, but only for milliseconds and not in a repeating impulse.
    FurMark is able to run for Hours not stopping, just going to heat it up till 80°C and running, and running and... so on
    OCCT also runs fine for 9Hours, every test.
    My Question is, by the wording simple:
    Did any of ye screwing and tweaking wise old Men ever had a similar Problem and/or heard of a way how to get pass it?
    What could it be that messes up the ordinary 3D-Renderings in Games which do only need a tiny bit of the Power of the Card (Except Crysis, and maybe DIRT2 or Flatout)?

Thx in advance for any Tips,
    if further information is needed, ask and I will try to get it

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    The screen of Civ 4 reminds me of an error I got while playing with enabled AA. Turning AA of fixed it for me.
    It could be that the Vram is faulty, but I'm not sure about that.

3. OneEyedBob

OneEyedBob Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680
    Well i've not seen anything quite like this but am thinking it's possible you may have a couple of issues at the same time.
    The flashing blocky patterns would make me think a VRAM issue. Have you tried downclocking the card to see if that helps?
    The crashing in games with continued sound could be a sound driver conflict, have you tried disabling on-board sound in BIOS and wiping the onboard sound drivers?

4. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    The Sound thing is more unlikely to be connected to the, at least, onboard Sound-Driver, because I tried and approached the error first with the Audigy2ZS.
    I´m using it with he KX-Audio Driver for having enhanced latencies while working with VST-Plugins. To ensure the Creative card is not interfering with the GTX I only had the onboard Sound temporarily enabled while having the Add-on Sound card uninstalled (physically and Driver-wise) for testing purposes. But thx for the Input, i`ll downclock the VRAM to see the impact it does on the Error, will post the outcome within the next 24h. If the VRAM is the source, would that be a RMA-worthy failure?
    Because the card itself was bought new in march this year. I will try to RMA it (for the second time) if the VRAM frequency drop will help. First time I RMA'ed I got it back with a Screenshot of FurMark running in 1024*768 with no AA and the notice it ran fine for hours, no need to RMA...

5. OneEyedBob

OneEyedBob Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680
    Well I've successfully RMA'd 2 cards with EVGA for bad memory so you should be able to RMA it, take screenshots of settings and errors if you can to back up your claim.

Have you got a second card you can test in the system? Would probably help in troubleshooting.

6. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    Id agree with faulty vram, my 8800GT had issues when I overclocked the vram speed, it would artifact up similar to ur screenshots. Blockyness and a vertical/horizontal offset would occur. However it would immediately freeze. Id downlcock your vram using rivatuner or any other gpu overclocking software. Or do as suggested and try a different video card if possible. Probably end up having to RMA your video card.

7. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    That was quick,
    after reading your tip with the downclocking (which I for myself had seen as a "last resort" kinda thing) I tested it quickly with memory 1200Mhz opposing 1242Mhz stock
    and the GPU Clock turned down to 615Mhz opposing to 648 stock and... voila
    the error seems to have vanished. CIV4 (which showed the above available error pretty quick)
    runs fine for the (fast tested) 5 min, where the failure would have shown 3 times normally @ stock clocks. VMT is still showing the same error, so i will try RMA'ing again and will see what they´ll say about the collected evidence.
    Seems I had got one of those bad pre-selected Hynix RAMs I read about on my search for the possible failure. For the testing of another card in the same system.. I kinda did it, but not with such a powerful Beast, only an 8600GT, but with that it ran also fine (with turned down graphics) without locking up.
    I hope my Quest has found an end, I´ll update the thread as soon as I get a spare-card send.
    Thx for the really fast and precise helping, many technicians would be trying to resolve problems for much longer time if there were'nt such a helpful community
    like you here at Guru3D.
    Wish me good luck in getting a card without the Memory problems
    so long
    G'night

8. OneEyedBob

OneEyedBob Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680
    No problem and good luck, let us know how you get on.

9. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    glad to hear it got sorted out, its just to bad you had to downclock your factory overclocked card ...

10. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    Gravediggin'

And burying it...
    After running into the named Problem from time to time I decided to get me a new card (see specs in my info) and shortly after installation of that one of my Mushkin RAM´s decided to die... preventing Windows from booting...
    Haven´t tested the old card but could also be that there was a connection.
    This thread can be closed and I thank everyone who tried to help me with my problem.

/close