GTX 285 - Every driver BSOD's with COD4 :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by shalati, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  2. DEATHSTAR

DEATHSTAR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285 SLi + 8800GTX
    What OS are you using to play games, and obviously not everyone is having the issue.

3. Rickwell

Rickwell New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 295 GTX,Water Cooled
    Doesn't that power supply come with four of 6 pin pcie connectors ? Don't you need a 6 pin and an 8 pin connectors on the video card plug? Did you use an 6 to 8 pin adaptor ? I think there is an 8 pin aux plug that's on the power supply.But that's not for PCIE vidio cards.

Also make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff running in the background while you try to play games.They may want to update or scan your pc while in the game.That can cause problems to.
    Hope you get figured out.Good Luck.

4. shalati

shalati Member

Thanks all....for the advice.

I have read everything everyone has posted even if I haven't replied individually. I have tried anything anyone has mentioned since I felt I was out of ideas myself. The problem I am having testing it is that the crashes are 1-3 hours apart.

I'm still actually working on playing with lower settings to see if I can narrow down which setting causes the crash. I played twice for 4+ hours on all low graphic options so I know I'm getting somewhere now. I've raised some settings to max and still no crashes even with long game sessions.

The only thing I haven't tried yet that someone mentioned was underclocking my card. I used RivaTuner once to adjust my fans and they got stuck at 100%(my old 9800gx2) because of a bug, so I am very apprehensive to touch that program again and hence why I bought the OC2 edition anyway.

5. slayer06

slayer06 New Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX295
    If you have a nforce mobo, increase the I\O voltage. I don't own one, but in the EVGA forums a lot of GTX295's were solved by raising the default voltage a few notches.

6. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    haven't read what's been suggested, but I'd change all this, and try again

Azalia HD Audio is Realtek, Guru 3D has Realtek v2.20 in download section
    Get Rivatuner or Precision Tool, set gpu fan to atleast 70% (my SLI 260's run <55C gaming)
    Set stock GPU freq (and even lower mem, 1100/2200MHz)
    Loosen RAM timings
    Raise NB volts

7. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    Good advice from Barton C++ above. Also, based on my minimum experience level with these issues, I'd try the following (if possible):

- different RAM besides Kingston (maybe Corsair, OCZ or Gskill)
    - possibly different PSU (although not sure which one you have now)
    - similar or equivalent ATI video card

Obviously, either you have to have good friends that can lend you this stuff or start spending more $, but these things would definitely help figuring out where the problems lies. It could just be that your combination of stuff just doesn't play well with COD4 and that could be the end of the story. I just built a new system, but am not posting the specs here yet until I try it out on a few games first.

Some things I've learned over the years with building systems is you should never save money on RAM or the PSU, try not to mix Nvidia MB with an Nvidia video card to minimize any possible issues, and always check Guru3D for video card driver issues.:)