GTX 285 and artifacts?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by leandrokoiti, Aug 17, 2009.

1. leandrokoiti

leandrokoiti New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800gtx+ 512mb
    hello everyone, I just built a new pc for my girlfriend with a gtx 285 black on it but I just can't make it work... I can run farcry 2 (the game that came with the card) but I see lots of artifacts on the screen, it's kinda random, sometimes I can see lots of polygons "blooming" on the screen and sometimes I just see a few weird lines... I tried to run the sims 3 or crysis 2 with no luck... I'm using all the stock settings for every part, the video card is running at 50ÂșC tops.

the first time I tried to run the sims 3 it stopped on the loading screen (after selecting the city), and after that I can't even see the "EA" logo when the game starts, happened the same thing with Crysis, I was able to change the video settings but when I tried to start the game it stopped responding and I wasn't able to get to the set up screen anymore... whenever this happens I leave the game and then lots of small squared blocks pop on the screen, it looks like the video card isn't being able to "refresh" parts of the screen, so when I switch to another application or scroll down a page lots of squared blocks don't update with the new image, showing the old state as if they didn't refresh

I've tested with the driver that came with the card, tried with the newest driver (190.38), I tried to increase the fan speed of the video card and the temp lowered a lot but the problem kept showing up, I'm completely lost

oh, I even tried to underclock to the original settings since it's the black edition with no go, same problem even after I restarted it

does n1 have any idea of what it could be? I'm thinking about replacing this card =\\\

thanks in advance!

------------------------------------------------------------------
    update:
    I guess the problem is not on the graphic card.... I just replaced it with a 9800gtx+ and the problem still ocurring, i'm gonna post the specs of the system below:

windows vista 32bit sp1
    mb asus p5q3 deluxe
    cpu q9550 @ 2.8ghz
    2x 2gb ddr3 corsair xms3 1600
    psu corsair 1000w

Im going to try to test the memories with memtest now, I ran prime95 for 9h and everything went just fine, that's why I was completely sure the problem was on the graphic card

another weird thing that happend is that I tried to install vista 64 ultimate and vista 64 business and none of them worked, blue screen while installing and trouble in the middle of the installation didn't let me proceed, but I was able to install both vista and xp 32bits

I updated the bios to the latest version 2105

since I never installed a modular psu I was wondering if I might have installed it incorrectly... I used both pci-e cable that came with the psu (not the modular cables), u guys think that could be the problem? do I have to install the modular cables or can I use the pci-e cables that come attached to the psu?

thx again

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. leandrokoiti

leandrokoiti New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800gtx+ 512mb
    ok... well... after spending a day testing all componentes it turns out that one of the memories wasn't working... hope that helps someone else =P

3. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    So, finally its GPU after testing all other components. 190 drivers have issues with some like you. Try with 185/186 and if you still see it, I think the card is @ fault and RMA.