GTX 280 & Ultra Gladiator

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jobber, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jobber

jobber Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7990 1100/1575
    Hey everyone. Before making the big decision whether to upgrade my 8800GT to a GTX 280, I have a few questions.

I have an Ultra Gladiator case right now, which fits my 8800GT pretty well. Theres around 1.5 inches or so left over. Not exactly 1.5 mind you. Now, I read somewhere that the 8800GT is about 9 inches long. The GTX 280 is about 10.5 inches long. I measured and it seems like the GTX 280 won't fit, but I can't exactly tell. Does anyone have any information regarding this problem? Maybe one of you have the same problem as me. I can always mod my case by either cutting away ( ehhhh :( ) or trying to bend in the hd bay a little. I only have 1 hd and its below the cards path. Any useful information would help.

Thanks in advance.

- Jared

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    yeah its around 11 inches, but power connectors are on side, not at end of the card like 8800GT have it.

3. jobber

jobber Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7990 1100/1575
    So do you think it will fit in my case? I'm seriously thinking of cutting away part of the HD bay. It's not a bad idea, if anything it will give my HD better air flow ;)

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT

5. jobber

jobber Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7990 1100/1575
    hmm interesting. It wouldn't be that hard to snip away the side of the HDD bay anyway.

6. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    I have this case too & was contemplating an upgrade. One thing I noticed on mine is you can un-screw the HD cage from the case & slide it forward another 3/8 to 1/2" & re-secure it by drilling new holes in the bottom for the screws instead of cutting the HD cage.

I think this would allow just a 10.5" card & nothing more. I haven't tried this yet either though as I'm still on the fence for an upgrade or not. But I believe it would allow things to just fit.

Alternatively you could remove the cage altogether & move the HD into the 5-1/4" bays above & I believe you can get an adaptor to secure the 3.5" HD there but I'm not sure.

7. jobber

jobber Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7990 1100/1575
    It looks like the HD bay is stuck to the bottom of the case. I can unscrew 2 screws but it does nothing as far as i know.

8. jobber

jobber Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7990 1100/1575
    My main concern now is that since the card is a dual width, it would hit the SATA connections on my mobo. its an Asus p5QC. I dont know if anyone has the same mobo with the GTX 280. Now im pretty worried, since i cant really move those.

9. jobber

jobber Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7990 1100/1575
    On newegg, users say it covers up 2 ports, but the other ports are fine. So i guess im good there.. now im worried about my board not recognizing the GTX 280. In one review someone said the P5QC didnt recognize the GTX 260. Another reviewer stated that it DOES recognize his 260. Im getting a 280.. should i be worried?