GTX 280 Overheating - advice and testing please!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by opozoid25, Jun 30, 2008.

1. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    I was having a problem with my new GTX 280 card relating to heat. When I run FurMark, temps go up to 105c, and maybe further except I immediately stopped it. Most games keep it under 80c, but NFS Carbon raised it to 100c within 15 minutes. As soon as it hit 100c, I immediately stopped the game. I have not actually had any shutdowns or instability though, probably because I didn't let it get that far.

I've read several threads here and elsewhere about the overheating issue, so I know it seems to be a relatively common thing. I was hoping other GTX 280 owners might run FurMark and tell me if they approach 100+c. Also, do the gurus out there think I should exchange the card, or just wait for aftermarket coolers? I expect 80c-90c under extreme testing, but not over 100c.

I am running Vista64 with a CoolerMaster 590 case with 3 120mm exhaust and 2 120mm intake fans, as well as the video card exhaust, of course, so air flow isn't an issue. The vid card fan works fine and was at 100% when the temps reached over 100c.

Thank you very much for any help and advice!

2. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    opozoid25 according to nvidia.com the max gpu temperature for 280gtx is 105C so in furmark you rached maximum which is in my opinion quite dangerous. Have you tried few diferent vga drivers ? I heard some version caused with few ppl higher temperatures than other drivers. If you can easily change for another gtx maybe you should try before changing whole card cooling ?

3. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I suggest you go get some decent thermal paste (like MX2, AS5, which are good) and apply it to your card. It would help with the helps quite a bit compared to the stock gunk.

When you do replace the paste, remember to clean off the original one properly. Don't overapply the new paste or put too little (a few small dots should work, otherwise reattach the cooler and then remove it to see if the contact is good enough).

You can also use Rivatuner to boost the fan speed on the cooler, but this would make it noisier then it is already.

4. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Yes you can also buy an arctic cleaning set to clean the gpu core. Then apply the AS5 or MX2 like snip3r_3 said. It should bring down the temp quite a lot.

5. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    These are the things you can rule out on your own.

1. Poor Case Ventilation
    2. Loose/Defective cooler on the GTX280
    3. Fan not spinning up to 100% when required for cooling
    4. Fan Failure (Not working at all).

Rule all those out before sending your card back to the manufacturer.

6. er557

er557 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    Same issue with furmark here also.
    no crashes or freezes though.
    But I guess furmark is an extreme stressful benchmark, as in all the games the temps are fine. I guess it is like running your car at full throttle while
    stationary- not indicative of real life situations...:flame:

7. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    Thanks for the tips everyone. eVGA support let me know that it seems to be fairly common to reach up to 110c. I will try reapplying the thermal grease and tightening up the heatsink, since it doesn't void my warranty.

er557, I thought exactly the same thing, until a game I played brought it to 100c before I shut it down. :(

8. mattrxcool

mattrxcool Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 @ 650/1400/2100
    Wow the 280s get scary hot :3eyes:

I tried that furmark and my overclocked 260 only got to 63ÂșC and didn't even reach 100% fan speed.

Surprising that taking the cooler off to re-apply thermal paste doesn't void your warranty, I would think it would.

9. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Well considering how many transistors they are putting on 65nm chip and still only have a dual slot cooler with a single fan, of course this beast is going to get that hot.

The only thing I can recommend is to:
    - check the heatsink mounting (I doubt this is the issue though considering how regular it is)
    -ensure plenty of case air flow
    -keep your room cooler
    -using Rivatuner force 100% always
    -leave the side of the case open (ive always noticed my temps drop when I do this)

Hopefully someone will come out with some aftermarket cooling for the 200 series.

10. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Holy cow. I got a GX2 and mine never hits 90C even in vantage or anything.

Defo need to check your case temps and air flow, i mean we are not even in summer yet.

11. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Fairly Common? Seems pretty abnormal to me. I mean my GTX260's even when overclocked only touches 80c in futurmark. I don't see how a GTX280 could rach 105-110c unless your case is poorly ventilated or the card is defective.

And remember I'm running them in SLI, in very close proximity on my motherboard and even still they only touch 80c at load.

12. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I haven't used mine much yet but I haven't seen it go any higher than 80C -- and this is in my old case with sucky ventilation. I'd reapply the heatsink.

13. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    BTW, how is your ambient temp?

14. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060
    yeah that maybe so in vantage or 3d mark but download the fur benchmark and see what happens to your temps. it is a massive heat test for your card. mine before watercooled would go up to 80's and in vantage or games it would be in the high 60's low 70's.

15. OCZ

OCZ Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570

16. er557

er557 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    my card reaches around 104c-107c in furmark, causing the rendered image to sttutter a little, but without throttling down the clocks though.
    This is the ONLY situation it happens. Even in crysis the temps are at ~90c maximum. all other games are stable too.
    :rpg:
    I guess the throttling will kick in at 110c, which hasn't happened here yet.
    It is reassuring though that evga confirmed such high temps are possible...

17. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Any after market coolers yet?

Lex

18. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    I'm very glad I started this thread. I wanted to update everyone that I decided to exchange the card rather than tear it apart and reapply thermal paste and heatsink. MicroCenter gave me absolutely no problems exchanging the card, and said if the 2nd card was the same, they would have no problem refunding my money. My second card, even though the serial number is VERY close to the first, does not have the overheating problem. I've been running FurMark for 30 minutes, and the temp peaked at 82c, and the fan (set to auto) peaked at 68%. Now THIS is what I expected when I bought the card, knowing that FurMark seems to be the worst case scenario as far as temps go. My advice to anyone with the overheating problem is to exchange it if possible.
    :cheers:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Dam these GTX280 get really hot. I dont like it when my 9800GTX gets to 61c running vantage during gaming never goes over 55c.

(wonder how the die shrink to 55 will improve temps)

20. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Haven't seen mine go over 74C yet, and have run Vantage plenty of times. It is winter here though so room temp is probably 15C and I have a tj09 with fan blowing directly towards the gpu intake fan which probably helps. Are you guys hearing the fan speed up as the temp rises? If you aren't then that could be you issue. Mine stopped speeding up when i installed nvidia's overclocking tool and touched the fan control. I had to reinstall the program and just make sure not to adjust the fan setting to ensure it remains on automatic control.