1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 275 runs a little hot for my liking..

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CPUSpeedman07, Jun 13, 2009.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you install the nV System Tools...you can set a new rule to control the fan based on GPU temp. I did this and set the temp range as 30-70C. Since do, I have not seen my GPU temp exceed 64C. The fan spins to around 80% as soon as the GPU starts to heat up. I idle at 48-50C and load temp is 60-62C....except for the spike to 64C when the fan first spins up. I need to clean up my cabling a bit....then I should have better temps to report.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Here is what my idle and 8 hours DirectX 10 temperatures looks like with 2 GTX260's.
    I'm using a manual set auto profile with Riva Tuner.
    Both fan and clock speeds are set to be linked (in sync).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm having issues with my card clocking down to 2D clocks after running a 3D app....just noticed that the other night....2hrs after running Vantage, the card was still using the 3D clocks. I had to reboot to get back to 2D clocks. Is this a known issue with the 185.85 or 186.08 drivers?

4. benne

benne Member

GPU:
    evga 275 sli
    I'm not sure if its just us two,but my cards would do that also with the 185.85
    I am using 182.50 now and it does not do that anymore.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX275 SLi
    Hi

I am also a bit worried at my temps. I am getting around 63 degrees celcius (59 ambient) on the first GPU and 49 degrees (44 ambient) on the second. When I try to run 3DMark test I will crash out because the GPU got too hot. I run the benchmark at performance settings.

The case is also open at the moment as I just recently finished building it. I am using the latest official Nvidia drivers.

I didn't overclock the cards at all they are stock settings.

Should I be worried? :<

6. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    This happened to me twice and was caused by Crysis crashing (I was overclocking a bit too far).

A reboot seemed to be the only solution - though I didn't try very many things. I also didn't try different drivers... But it seems to only happen if something crashes while it's in the 3d clocks.

7. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Both of my cards came with hosed BIOS's... The fan speeds weren't kicking up until well past 90c. What I did was downloaded an update BIOS which put my cards back to normal - then I used NiBiTor to modify it to increase the fan speeds earlier.

If you are ok with updating your BIOS (that is if you've rulled out other causes) then I'd do it as I'd bet you might have a hosed BIOS as well...

8. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    i noticed one of my cards doing this as well it runs at least 20c hotter than the other,and if i switch cards or slots the temps follow one individual card.
    which were obtained together in one order to be a perfect match in every way,shape and form.. down to exact bios versions,.. and they are. also ran cards by themselves to confirm it is in fact 1 individual card .

and ive seen this 1 card, ran by itself ,cause system hang /black screen's and vista driver recoveries just from using it, and using them one at a time its obvious 1 card runs a tad different compared to the other. my other gtx 260 is flawless and has 0 symptoms and frankly is a delight. it can run for weeks with its chin held high , and running cooler than 90% of the video cards ive had my entire life.

so since i havn't even had em 6 months yet , im just gonna rma the sketchy card. ive been running a single gtx260 for a week er so , another week wont hurt.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. jonathanc

jonathanc Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX275 SLi
    hmm, the fans seem to work fine though. I was using Vtune (Asus Rampage 2 Extreme) and have x2 Palit GTX275s which has a custom cooler with two fans (quite noisy and high idle temps compared to reference cooler which I found out later :<)

The fan is around 40% idle and ramps up all the way to 100% on load. The only thing is I noticed I can't fully run a 3dMark benchtest. I get overheating warning during the first GPU test. Upon inspection (Vtune) my GPU temps are around 95 degrees Celcius :(

It cooled down pretty quick though. Took 5-8 seconds to hit 63 oC. I am now trying out RivaTuner to control my fan speeds to see if it makes any difference. Maybe because the cards are placed too close together on the board but I have no other choices ><

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You could look into some of the other aftermarket coolers. The cooler that Palit put on their GTX275 is a very poor design from the looks of it.

11. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I was going to suggest the Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 (fits on any single GPU videocard of the GTX series), but then I checked out the expansion slots layout of your motherboard, and realized you wouldn't be able to install it on your first videocard, as it takes a little more than one slot by itself.

The problem is, I don't know any other firms that make aftercoolers for GTX graphics cards. Does anyone else know?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I wasn't even overclocking, but the drivers did crash. I believe I have the issue resolved that caused the driver to crash though. I was under the assumption that since so many nV users go into the ATI section claiming that the nV drivers are perfect, they would function properly when they reload after a driver crash. I never had that problem with my 4850. Even after the few driver crashes I had, the clocks would return to 2D mode just fine after the driver reloaded.

I'd check out Zalman and see if they happen to make anything that will fit a GTX card. Their coolers work great for every application they make a cooler for.

13. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    First lesson, never assume anything... lol

Second lesson, never listen to fanboys claiming something is perfect... lol

Just kidding around... I am not one of those people who think nvidia drivers are perfect - or even better than ATI. In fact before the 8 series cards I used ATI cards as at that time they had superior IQ. Anymore it's pretty close in that area.

Also, I think nvidia did very well with their drivers before the 8 series. They've gone down hill since then when it comes to quality control and making things "better" from driver to driver.

Like most things in life people can form impressions that last for a long time. So the people claiming nvidia drivers are perfect (to use your words) could have formed that oppinion a long time ago and it still carries on now. But if you ask me for my oppinion ATI has a slight upper hand with putting out good drivers consistantly. NVidia seem to mess things up for someone on each release.

14. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    Ouch ya it sounds the fan is having some issues try replacing the video card with a Galaxy 275 from newegg that thing has like 3 fans on that sucker for the best cooling.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've never had problems with drivers from either manufacturer. Aside from the driver's crashing and having to reload. To me, ATI's best card for IQ was the x700 Pro...didn't matter what drivers were used, the IQ was perfect for me. Crisp, clean, clear images. Until recently, the only card I'd seen from nVidia that had acceptable IQ was the FX5700LE....of course, that was until I found the GTS250 that I had to replace on sunday. Now I just have to settle for the GTX275 that replaced the GTS250.

Edit: I thought this was a bit funny. I always have GPU-Z running in the background to log load temps while running Vantage. On the last run, it logged a GPU temp of 175.8C. Don't trust every temp you see...lol

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009