Gtx 1080 Unplayable stuttering. Help?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Snucks, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Snucks

Snucks Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x 3GB
    I'm pretty new to this. I just finished this build last night, first one i have built solo. I downloaded all the drivers, updated windows and when i load up GTA V and start the opening mission the fps is unplayable. I don't understand, help?

Specs:
    -Asus Strix 1080 OC edition (stock)
    -i5 7600k @ 3.8GHz (stock)
    -G.Skill Trident z 3000mhz (stock)
    -550w EVGA supernova psu
    -Corsair H100i v2 cooler
    -Asrock z270 Extreme4 mobo

I have not tweaked my system's hardware at all, everything is how it was out of box with me installing drivers.

https://imgur.com/a/awZv9

https://imgur.com/a/jog95

https://imgur.com/a/W5tI1

https://imgur.com/a/cRnDR

https://imgur.com/a/zVouW

Pics are from first ten minutes of opening level of GTA5 at very high settings. In the witcher 3 at ultra settings I get 90 to 120 fps with no stuttering and I get a solid 144fps in FFXIV with no stuttering either(I think those are good fps for a 1080 stock?...atleast there is no stuttering) Seems its only GTA when it comes to those three games I have tested. Please help GTA is totally unplayable.

(I don't know if it matters, but could it be cause i have a the gpu which needs a 8+6 pin connector and i only have one vga cable that has the 8+6 cable in it instead of two vga cables?)

Please help? If i need to add more info, let me know.

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sounds like your PSU struggles.

3. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

+1

Also, as you said its completely "out of the box", I assume you haven't done any fiddling with your motherboard's bios. You might try to check your bios settings to see if your CPU is being drastically overvolted and is overheating or something along those lines.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The system would just shut down if the PSUs limits were passed. It does not reduce performance with weak PSUs resulting in stutter or frame drops. For a 1080 and 7600k, his PSU is more than enough.

Despite 8+6 connectors on the 1080, it may function with an 8pin only cable from the PSU since that delivers 150w and the pcie slot another 75w (225w total). A gtx 1080 has about 180w power draw so should be OK. Some GPUs you would get an error beep if insufficient power or if both connectors not in place at boot up, other GPUs may ignore it.

Bottom line, with insufficient power, the system will shut down, not reduce performance.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    And OP, get one of these if it wasnt included in your GPU package:

[​IMG]

It will do nothing for the stuttering you have, but at least your PSU will have the extra 6-pin option when needed.

6. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    It can be a myriad of issues, it's a huge game that takes up a lot of space. You haven't mentioned the amount of RAM you have, the game eats a lot when playing especially when maxed out. Also, check what your hard drive is doing while in-game.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I had random BSODs and game crashes that I couldn't solve for weeks, then my PSU blew up, I got a new one and all the above was fixed without changing anything else

Bottom line, bad PSU can cause weird things to happen, not just shutdowns

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    If it was psu, I'd think issues would happen consistently in all games. This seems to be strictly a GTA V issue. Is this issue possibly affected by the Windows creator update that has caused stuttering and fps drops for many gamers?

Regardless, a 550W psu is barely doing what it needs with said hardware. You're gonna wanna upgrade to at least a 700w soon. Rails optimum or not, you need more watts.

cryohellinc likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Not all all, had those issues and behavior was totally random.

This pretty much.

Also thinking about it, do you know how to run a Mem-Test from bootable USB? Search a bit, and make a test, perhaps one Ram stick is faulty.
    I recently had my 4gb stick die out, it took me some time to figure out it was Ram. I experienced everything from BSOD's to graphical artifacts, to random browser behavior.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    550W is plenty for a his system

His specs listed would use less than 300w under load.
    Any fans, HDDs,etc and probably less than 350w.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not referring to that, but rather a PSUs "limits", ie, more power needed than able to deliver. A "bad" PSU though can indeed cause system instability, crashes or BSODs.

12. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Seems like it's the i5. Try turning on v-sync for this game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Windows 10 stuttering common problem?

You are using gpu tweak and afterburner at the same time?........................

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
  15. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah turn off Game DVR feature!! That causes a lot of stuttering for me in some games.
    Also check your advanced display settings.. if you have extended distance scaling set to max the game will stutter quite a bit even on a SSD. I'd set it to default so all the way to the left!

Looking at your graphs your hitting 100% cpu utilization semi-frequently which corresponds to your sutters in FPS in those graphs! GTA5 is honestly the most CPU hungry game I've encountered it can use up to 8 CPU threads without batting an eye. You might need to turn down some of the settings to get it smooth on a 4-Core CPU. Or overclock your CPU to give yourself some more headroom.

Also if you're not using a fps limiter that might help a lot! I found this game runs significantly better using a limiter to hard cap it to 60fps... when I let it run uncapped it sometimes gets stuttery.

16. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Get latest nvidia drivers and do a clean install, gl

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to quote what HH says in everyone of his GPU reviews

*freezing during gameplay* can be seen as "stutter" depending on how look it it and that just the short list thing a underpower psu will cause, 550 watt might be "ok" but can it deliver it constantly and reliable? can deliver the amps required constantly? and realible? i run 750watt so there extra breathing room, I cant vouch for evga psu never owned one and never will after the nightmare i had the evga mb, gpu wise i have always bought from evga though, but that was mostly cause of there lifetime warrenty that is gone. I still have my 450gts that i got when I RMA my 9800gt that had lifetime warrenty and the 450 gts carries same warranty of the original l product 9800gt , i even have RMA receipt from evga stating this still. the web site states this too.

now i not saying it his psu cause other game are fine others are not, but bad underpowered psu can cause such things

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  19. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Appart the particularities of GTA and the good advices of the fellow gurus regarding DVR or psu insufficiency, i want to refer to another more general problem regarding stuttering.
    The background processes.
    Not because of the memory consumption or the drive space they use up, as both of these aspects are inconsequential on modern systems with plenty of RAM and storage space.
    But because background programs can and do cause software conflicts, resulting in stuttering, crashes and odd behavior in games.
    Last but not least : the hardware monitoring/overclocking utilities(MSI AB, GPU-Z, FRAPS etc.) that we all gamers use.
    Those programs can cause stuttering in games when running in the background and take new readings.
    Especially if the frequency with which the hardware monitoring features take new readings is set too often.