1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 1080 artifacts and crashing. Should i go for a RTX2070s or 2080?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pimpernell, Sep 11, 2019.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    My trusted EVGA GTX 1080 (not ti) from 2016 have had problems for a while, i just gave up oc and ran it stock. I am running 3440x1440@100hz gsync. Tbh i mostly play rpg's/strategy that do not require all that much, but i do like BF5/1 and planning to play the new COD.
    Last week it started to crash in almost all games. Thought it was drivers or windows so i did a reinstall but got the same results, red artifacts and crashing. (Most likely memory)
    [​IMG]

If i get the warranty approved (it should, the warranty is 3 years and it still got over a month left), i can either go for one of the more beefed RTX2070 Super's
    Either Asus or Gigabyte for just a little more money.
    Or should i go for a 2080 (Standard) for a lot more?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    not fancied another evga? pretty good all round with their rma compared i believe.

3. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Well , EVGA is more difficult to get a hold on these days. Actually anything American is almost out of the stores here in Norway these days..
    To bad really since i got the EVGA DG-87 tower with the logo all over.

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Could always get the evga hybrid cooler and fit it.

5. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080TI TRIO
    You should go with asus, their strix cooler is one of the best out there. And you will not void your warranty if you're planning to take the cooler apart for reapplying tim, watercooled, or whatever.

What model is your evga gtx 1080? founder? 3 years of lifespan is really short for the gpu. Just curious though.

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    It was a EVGA FTW 1080DT, guess i found out what the DT ment.
    My shop was very generous and gave me a Asus RTX 2070 Super OC as a replacement, even if it cost more than i paid for the original 1080.