GTX 1060 - DVI port not working?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by luijtjuh, Aug 10, 2016.

1. luijtjuh

luijtjuh New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1060 6GB
    [solved] GTX 1060 - DVI port not working?

Hi there,

I received my GTX 1060 today (a Gainward Phoenix) and tried connecting my monitors. At first I thought my main monitor wasn't receiving a signal because of drivers, but even after installing those I don't get any signal through the DVI port.

Setup:
    • 1080p monitor with only DVI-D
    • 1440p monitor with only DVI-D

Scenarios I have tried:
    • 1080p connected to HDMI with passive HDMI->DVI converter works
    • 1440p connected to HDMI with passive HDMI->DVI converter does not work (as expected)
    • 1080p connected to DVI-D port (without converters) does not work
    • 1440p connected to DVI-D port (without converters) does not work

Is this a hardware failure, or am I overlooking something? I ordered the card (new) from abroad, so I would like to avoid having to return it.

PS. My previous graphics card was a GTX 760 with two DVI ports, so I know all the cables and monitors work fine.

EDIT: Solved by using Guru3D's driver uninstaller.

I don't know what happened all of a sudden, but after switching the cables and power supplies an unidentified monitor showed up. While rebooting, the 1440p monitor was used until Windows started loading - at which point everything switched to the 1080p screen and any trace of the 1440p was gone (device manager, Nvidia control panel, Windows display settings).

This indicated to me something was wrong with the drivers, so after uninstalling them with the tool and reinstalling, both monitors now work (with their original cables). So yea, not sure what happened here - but dark arts were definitely involved here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016