GTX 1050 TI does not toggle 3D mode properly

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nervensaege, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Nervensaege

Nervensaege Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1050TI 4GB
    From one day to the next, some games - especially TW3 - stopped running fluently. Other 3D games, e.g. Skyrim, Overwatch, Civ 6 kept working fine.

Using HWMonitor I found out, that the GPU kept on idle mode (graphic clock ~960 MHz, voltage ~0,7 V) when "running" TW3 but toggled 3D mode (gpu clock 1,7 GHz, voltage 1,0 V) e.g. in Overwatch.

Max temperature is about 60°C/139°F.

I have been unistalling the nvidia driver using DDU in safe mode and installing the latest version (496.49) but this didn't changed anything.

Even when forcing 3D-mode using Asus GPU TweakII the affected games didn't return to playable performance.

Any ideas?

CPU: AMD FX-8320 (no OC)
    GPU: MSI GTX1050Ti 4GB

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use adaptive instead of optimal power

3. Nervensaege

GPU:
    MSI GTX1050TI 4GB
    This had no effect :-(.
    Even with "prefer max. power" the clock rose up to 1,35 GHz/ voltage 0,875 V, but the affected games kept bucking unplayable. As if some games wouldn't use the gpu.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its not the gpu then, its your CPU, check for vrm throttling and dust in the cpu fan.

the Fx line aggressively throttle because temps above 63c significantly increase the degradation rate of the cpu imc, but vrm heat can invisibly throttle the cpu too.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021

5. Nervensaege

GPU:
    MSI GTX1050TI 4GB
    What do you mean with vrm thottling? The voltages of my board and cpu are stable while gaming. And I don't think temperature is a problem: while playing skyrim, starcraft or overwatch, the fans go up, but these games keep working fine (and gpu at 3D Mode 1,7GHz / 1,0V). Witcher 3 and an other little 3D-game (Dorfromantik) are very slow or unplayable from the beginning (cold computer). The clocks of the gpu don't go up. Even when forced to higher clocks, these affecteted games are unplayable. There must have been an change to my system in the last two or three weeks I don't recognize.

Is Witcher 3 using totally different parts of the graphics card, which may phsically are broken, so e.g. skyrim still works fine? Or was there an faulty automatic windows update in the last weeks?

6. Nervensaege

GPU:
    MSI GTX1050TI 4GB
    I found the faulty update: the october update of citrix workspace app caused some games to run inproperly. After uninstalling citrix the problem was gone:rolleyes:

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Although you sorted the problem I thought I'd explain how VRM throttling is implemented and its effect.

The more power a device uses the more power has to flow through the VRMs supplying it (Voltage Regulator Modules).
    They are not 100% efficient so there is a small loss of power which becomes heat.
    VRMs are not very big so this heat energy is concentrated in the small area and they can get very hot.
    There are maximum operating temps for VRMs, they should ideally be run below this to ensure long life and prevent damage.

VRM temps are monitored and if they get too hot the system can be made to increase fan speed and/or slow down the processor to reduce the amount of power flowing through the VRMs.
    The latter can cause performance issues.

FYI

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, Citrix workstation has a framelimiter built in which might be the culprit behind it

Yeah, i jumped right to the more common issues with the Fx series because vrm throttling or cpu overheating have been the general common cause throughout their life span.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/fx-8320-frequency-drops-to-idle-under-load.2309358/