gts 250 clock speed randomly drops to 2D speed while gaming

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by cutepuppy671, Jul 1, 2009.

1. cutepuppy671

cutepuppy671 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    When gaming, at a random time the clock speed of the card will drop to 300MHz gpu and 100MHz memory and it will stay at that no matter what i do unless I restart windows

I tried reinstalling the drivers I also tried forcing the card to use performance 3d mode but the problem still happens, the screen will flicker for a split second then the card will be at 300MHz and the frame rates will be extremely low

I am using a EVGA GTS 250 running at stock speed of 756MHz GPU and 1100MHz memory

(I also tried reinstalling windows)

PS all of my voltages are stable

and this problem happens independent of gpu load, I tried running 2 games on on my 2 monitors at the same time and the gpu clock speed stayed at tne correct speed, this seems to happen independent of the load

something just seems to happen that will cause it to drop to 2D mode clock speeds and stay there until I restart

[​IMG]

this all happens while the game is running, it doesn't matter how many games or how demanding it is after a while it will randomly drop

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Same on my 4870

3. cutepuppy671

cutepuppy671 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    when it happens to your 4870 do you have to restart windows before you able able to get your original clock speed again?

4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Nope,It just goes up and down every notch of the chart while idle on desktop and in game It shifts to 2d.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Try different drivers.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    yeah, I'd say thats a driver fail... not sure though.