GTR2 thread.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by eclap, Sep 16, 2006.

1. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Right, well i haven't played in about, mmm (1,2,3..) 4 or 5 days now so i thought i would give it a bash. God this game can be frustrating sometimes hey!
    I only played for about 15 minutes and i felt like chucking my wheel through the screen:wanker: lol, just couldn't beat that dam ghost of mine (too darn competitive for my own good). And ended up getting worse and worse. I was hoping that this 'wall' wouldn't hit till maybe 1.44/43, but, alas, i fear it may have arrived. Anyways i guess i should just play more regularly.
    This was all i was able to squeeze out of my old time...
    [​IMG]
    thread lives on heh..

2. kamikaze666

kamikaze666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gts 320 MB @ 575/1700
    I got a 1.43.** quite easily thanks to Wildstyle's setup ;)

3. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Im thinking it may be more to do with my driving just being rubbish this evening. but...
    do you know of any basic settings i should look to change on the car that may help improve my times, or at least put me in good stead to beat it eventually. I haven't been touching the car setup settings yet.

Thanks guys:)

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I bet this will help.

Front Splitter 1
    Rear Wing 1-2
    Tyres Medium
    Fuel for 4-5 laps
    Max revs

Radiators and brake ducts I can't remember now, I'd stick them to 3 for now and check your motec display for brakes mainly to see if they overheat. There's a few very heavy braking zones @ Monza and if your brake duct is set too low, the brakes will not cool down enough for the next corner. 2 is a bit too little if I remember correctly with the above setup. On 3, the brakes manage to hit optimal temperatures before every major braking point, leading to safer and shorter braking distances. Also, you can try the radiator opening set to 2, but I think that with max revs and those crazy long straights the engine won't last for too long. Give it a go tho.

Now make sure you brake a bit earlier into that first chicane if you are used to having the rear wing set to 8-10. With it set to 1-2, the straight line speed will be a lot higher resulting in the need to brake earlier... You guys online now?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007

5. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Cheers eclap, i will go give it a try now thanks.:rock:

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Are you going online or just hotlapping offline?

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    My setup is in the online setup files bit if you want it. Hah, I dunno what it's called. When you go to adjust your setup on the main screen there's an option called online setups or something, can't remember. Browse to the Monza folder and my setup should be under "Dave_550_Monza" if it's still there. Failing that other people probably have it.

Give my setup a go I'd say. You might find it a bit slippery and it may not suit you but it's mint for me. The gear ratios are also important at Monza because of the long straights, along with the wing and splitter settings Rob's given above.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh yeah, you'll need to adjust the gears so you don't run out of them on long straights...

9. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    Good evening chaps, how are you all?

I've been so wrapped up in my work and home life I've only just realised how long it's been since I last enjoyed racing with you guys.

I played TDU on the 360 for a bit and yeah it was good for a while, but after a bit of practise - and basically mastering it - there wasn't really any challenge, most people simply getting in my way and irritating me.

The lack of realism and skilled drivers left me feeling empty and ultimately bored. As usual (like any console I've recently owned) the 360 went. My passion for PC sims eventually showing through again.

I still fire up GTR2 now and then for a quick blast around some of my favourite tracks, although the biggest void in my gaming world is the lack of GTL.

You lot know how I feel about that game, so no need to go on.

I might just have to fire up GTL again one day, online racing at it's very best.

I'll see you lot around. Be good. :)

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hey Mr. Mark, long time no see! It's nice to hear that you're thinking about getting back to playing GTR2/GTL. I still have both installed, but haven't played for ages! If only Dave and Ian managed to find some need to play the games, it'd be awesome! I don't game too much anymore, but a session every now and then would be quite exciting I think.

11. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi people as u no i had loads of problems with how the cars handle with gtr2/race and i would like to say

yaaaaaaa

ive just got a saitek r440 wheel and i can finally drive the cars in the two games

heres a vid of how i drive and i would like u guys that helped me before and that sent me vids on how to drive to have a look at the video and let me no how well u think i am doing, cus as u no i couldn't even get around any corner with out crashing lol

http://www.sendspace.com/file/943vor

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  12. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    so are you confessing that it was the wheel you were using and not the game?

13. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    yes im confessing that the game is great and its the wheel that makes it so much better (driving)

so have u seen the vid and is their owt i need to improve on

14. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    u dont have to just click the link + it is wmp that ive compressed it too + i get 60kbps which isnt too slow really

[​IMG]

15. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    oh ok.......naa the site its at is slow, so i didnt download it.

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Need sound really Damien. It's hard to tell when you're braking, accelerating and shifting without it. Obviously I can see on the HUD but it's far from ideal.

I can see though that you don't know the track very well yet. To get the best times you need pinpoint accuracy and smooth movement so you don't upset the car when you shift the weight. That will come if you practise enough. But then again you're on arcade mode so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Remember though that we used to play sims very competitively competing for records/rankings and bragging rights etc. If you just want to play for fun rather than taking it seriously then just drive how you want to drive as long as you enjoy playing.

You should really be using the first person perspective though rather than third. Switch to the cockpit view. You'll find it's easier to judge things. The bonnet cam may be even easier because you don't have to deal with the world movement and other obstacles that'll obscure your view.

Finally one of the most important things is that you get your controller set up how you want it. It would be worth spending a while playing with the settings to adjust the wheel and pedals so it feels right to you personally. Can't really help with settings for that, it's an individual thing.

17. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    @WildStyle

i have a problem

1st. i have fraps set up like this and for some reason it dint record sound in the NEW cockpit view vid ive posted below, here the setting ive set it at is this correct
    http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5189/frapsee5.jpg

2nd. heres the new cockpit view video, and as u can see ive never driven in this view so i crashed 1/2twice lol, please have a look and let me no what u think + sorry about the sound and hopefully i can get a new vid+ sound to ya after i sort out fraps

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d3sopj

18. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU

Yeah not bad mate, a reasonably controlled lap, although as Dave said, your lack of track knowledge is obvious, this will develop with practise, a lot of it mind. Once you've sussed it out you'll be able to go into and out of corners much quicker, in turn keeping the perfect race line.

If you want to progress to the standards we race at - especially Dave, who is World Class - then you'll have to practise with driving aids off. Maybe only having traction on minimum for a while, just to help you out. You have to realise though that people like WildStyle, eclap, morbias and myself;) have put in hundreds (maybe thousands!!) of laps on each track, only this amount of dedication will give you the skill to race with the best.

Briefly, a wheel definitely gives you an edge and also the best experience, but you can become just as good with a controller, I got to around 90% of my wheel skill with a XBox 360 pad and could compete at the top level. Dave (WildStyle) achieved World Record lap times on GTL using the keyboard!!!

So yeah good start mate, remember though, to compete at the highest levels - and believe me, that's when games like this go from being good to being the best - you'll have to spend months perfecting each and every corner. When you're ready you'll know.

@WildStyle: Just watched your GTL video Dave, excellent lap in the beast around Dijon. I was quite surprised (and flattered) to see my name in the end credits! Good days.

19. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    I find RACE really easy, and im using a Keyboard ;), Need a wheel!

As for GTR2, i'm doing ok on it but still i loose control sometimes cos Poo Keyboard... like to get one of them Logitech G25 or what ever they're called.

20. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If your looking for a wheel, check these out. They are a little pricey. but i've had 1 since the advent of nascar season 2003. All the parts are metal including the potentioners, the only thing that' s plastic is its cover... i have never had 1 issue for over 4 years and i've used it almost every day since the day i bought it. So if your seriouse about sims and can spend a little cash this is the best wheel for you. The lowest priced 1 is $325.00 mine cost $700 back when i bought it...i was breaking logitecs to often so i bought a superwheel and never looked back.

http://www.thomas-superwheel.com/