GTR2 Demo Available

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WildStyle, Jul 21, 2006.

1. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    After playing for a while, I'm gonna say this game bombed. Everything bombed. When you pull sharp turns cars don't bounce like that or vibrate like they have 2000HP engines. I donno it doesn't seem right. GTL had better execution in turns. Then again I've never driven a Lambo so I guess I wouldn't know. Another thing has to be the graphics, wth happened to the GFX? The demo tracks look pretty bland and empty. The "essential" gameplay is also a lot easier even with all the assists off.

I think SimBin is trying to cater to a larger crowd here. Heck if they through these types of physics into NFS it would be perfect.

ps. I've never driven a race car so my opinions are probably full of air anyway.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, the Barcelona GP track is "empty" in the demo, but I'm afraid, that's how it is in real life... It's quite accurately modelled tbh...

Also, the half-empty stands add to atmosphere, there's no sell-outs for these races in real life...

I love this demo... The cars are quite easy to drive, yes, but there will be a few tricky ones in the full release I'm sure... And you might need to learn those to be competitive online... So I wouldn't worry... Also, there'll be quite a few circuits to drive, plus add-on ones...

The sheer amount of features and options in GTR2 looks very promising... I personally can't wait... There'll be night/rain races, variable weather races (10 laps, starting dry, rain half-way through etc...) loads of cars and hopefully loads of players and servers...

I for once can't wait...

3. pysik

pysik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    i cant wait for it either i got me gtl couple weeks back, and wanted to get a steering wheel, for it. this will make me get one. dont know which one to get, but i will get one

4. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    can a racing game be a little more challenging to the graphics department

View attachment 1807

im averageing out around 87 fps...maxed for my Monitor

NOTE....had to scale down to attach

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006

5. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Looks pretty damn nice to me, and I never play racing games :p

Maybe in a few months when I actually have money Ill pick this up, along with a steering wheel/pedals. MMmmm realism. :D

6. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    The demo shows that this game will be better in every aspect, its much smoother, more realistic graphics, no graphical jitterness that is associated with the last version. The handleing is better much more controlled. The realistic gearing is a plus. Awesome demo cant wait for the game.........................!

7. exscalibur99

exscalibur99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800GT
    anyone can teach me how to drive this? like how to take corner or something?... thehehe

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Really ? I was playing the demo yesterday, enabled every possible graphics setting .. i was like bring it on ! When the game started I was instantly dissapointed and felt like we moved back to DX8.

Gameplay wise it's a great game though, you just need to get a hang of it.

9. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    I can't say much for gameplay, because I'm just not into simulation (hell, i love the outrun series, nfs, arcade racers rock because its all about FUN) but the graphics could've definitely been better. There's just so much they could've done with shaders that they simply didn't for some reason.

10. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I have to agree the graphics do indeed look more like something DirectX 7 could achieve, I think GTL looks far better, it has better shaders/lighting. Either the demo hasn't got all the gubbins included or as zhackore said, SimBin may be looking to appeal to the masses. If the latter is true then it still doesn't explain why higher graphical settings couldn't be implemented for high-end cards. At maximum in-game settings and 6xTAAA, 8xHQAF the framerate is too good! I never thought my rig would run this game at max settings at such high framerates.

This kind of game doesn't really rely on graphics but in this day and age I expect great graphics with any new game. It seems that SimBin has gone down the same route as Codemasters did with Toca3, with almost washed out visuals, lacking the shading and lighting that the predecessors had. Both GTL and Toca2 had more realistic shading which is why they both looked more solid, the cars and structures had more presence.

As I say, great graphics aren't of chief concern to the overall enjoyment of this game, though I would have liked a bit more from SimBin.

EDIT: Apart from minute differences in the cockpit lighting and car body reflections the extra shading that DX9 gives over DX7 is extremely minimal. If I change the shader level between DX7 and DX9 in the configuration of GTL the differences are very noticeable. With GTR2 there is no windscreen dirt build-up, certain tyre smoke effects aren't working, the cockpit lighting is poor compared to GTL and the track/sides look low-res to me. If this is the finished article, and being weeks from going gold it probably is, then I'm very curious why SimBin haven't done more.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just for comparison, I'll post 2 screenshots from GTR and 2 from the GTR2 demo... They're from the same spot, one is sitting on the grid on the 16th place @ the start, the other one is from the "fly-by" camera before the race... They're all maxed with 4xAA/8xAF...

GTR
    [​IMG]

GTR2
    [​IMG]

GTR
    [​IMG]

GTR2
    [​IMG]

12. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it's fair to say the comparisons are very similar in terms of overall IQ.

The shadows left by the cars on the track are visibly better but the rest of the shading is no better at all, note the stands etc.

After an hour or two of gaming I've not been happy with the difficulty of pro (sim) which is too easy, I don't feel as if I'm really trying to control the cars. I know the cars compared to GTL are modern racers and handle better, but surely with the huge power and no aids I should be finding it harder to stay on the track.

So far, I hate to say it, but I prefer GTL for it's gameplay and visuals. It's far more difficult, which I like, and is more involving. GTR2 feels almost arcade-like and runs at a better, smoother framerate than GTL because the IQ is simply not as good.

I'm still going to buy the full game and hopefully my opinions will change.

13. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I have to admit that I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo. If that was supposed to make me want to go out and buy the game, it failed miserably. No doubt that the game can and will appeal to certain people, just not me. And no, I don't hate simulation games as I find great pleasure out of playing Flight Simulator. But as for GTR2, I'm sorry to say, it doesn't seem good to me.

And the bad graphics certainly didn't help it any.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    According to some @ the RSC forums, the demo has some aids enabled (TC, steering/braking help)... It would make sense, because especially braking is way too easy and it shouldn't really...

We'll see how different the full release will be, I still love this demo, I prefer it to GTL...

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    GTR2 can look very good...

[​IMG]

courtesy of mr. Karan of RSC....

16. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That would seem likely from my experience, although I did feel a difference with certain setups in the wet. Maybe SimBin have enabled the basic aids so as not to frighten people off buying the full version. They obviously know that many gamers just aren't interested in the hardcore nature of their games, but thats what difficulty levels are for!

GTR was so much more difficult, I had to really concentrate, like I do with GTL, losing the back end in practise was common and accelerating/braking was an art form.

I honestly think SimBin have toned down the graphics and gameplay to suit a wider market. GTL at max settings use to make my Crossfire rig stumble at times, GTR2 doesn't even bother my current rig.

GTL just looks better in my opinion. The level of shading is higher, which is why GTR2 looks a bit flat and not as 3Dimensional as GTL.
    Maximise after clicking on these images for comparison.

http://img132.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=58528_GTL_2006_03_20_11_46_13_45.JPG

http://img25.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=58657_GTL_2006_03_20_12_12_45_35.JPG

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, just a few more screenies from the demo... early 6:00am race with 16 cars... Sorry about the crappy compression...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

Agreed, but...

Those GTL screenies are beautiful, but maybe Simbin decided to go for a more realistic look for GTR2... Ok, it might not be as flashy and heavy on shaders as GTL, but it looks the bussiness... It's cold and very atmospheric if u ask me... Almost feel the petrol... While GTL is quite over the top imho... but nice...

19. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'd say it was the other way around, tbh. This demo gives me no atmosphere at all and I don't like the gameplay. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I'll quite happily do 50 practice laps a session in GTL, where as in the GTR2 demo I get bored after 5. It's that simple. It feels very arcadey compared to GTL and I have no aids enabled bar auto clutch on simulation mode.

20. jsv004

jsv004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    Well, I had the game installed since it was released and it wasn't untill now that I had the chance to play it. My impression on GTR2 is pretty good, gameplay wise.. I liked it I had a bit of fun with the demo but I have to agree with some of the people here, although it ran beautyfully at +90fps on all settings high/full @ 1280x1024 I was expecting the graphics to give my graphic cards a work out.. :p .. also I still have GTL demo from long ago and I hate to say it but I like how GTL's graphics look compared to GTR2.
    Despite GTR2's graphics I might give it a shot once released, gameplay wasn't that bad. But in the end I like GTL a little better though.