GTA5 to have extremely large map

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 10, 2012.

1. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    My concerns are that with a map so huge there are going to be lots of bugs and Rockstar will undoubtedly take a long time to sort them.

And of course...50GB. KOOF!

2. EJocys

EJocys Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    There is a reason why nearly all stories have only ONE main character. I hope they are going to implement it right, because they are trying to change something which is not broken. I would prefer one main character with all attention to him but multiple models like in Mass Effect. Models could be males only in first game, to make plot fit more realistically. That would be Win/Win.

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Hoping extra large map will translate to extra large Vram usage tbh, something to get us out of this >2gb rut.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    What we need is a proper 64-bit version for PC :) It's pretty much a point that a 32-bit version would be pointless. Ok, argue with me on that point! But lets face the facts. 32-bit is limited to 4GB of address space. If you take say, 1GB of video card off of that (which would be the minimum for GTA 5 no doubt), you are left with 3GB. Now, minus a little extra (as what happens), you are left with around 2.7GB of usable system RAM. Now, considering the OS uses part of that, 32-bit would leave very little RAM for the game, so the game would have be be choked.

With 64-bit, they can move beyond that limitation. With a 1GB video card they can still make use of around 3.5GB of memory (leaving 500MB for the system) on a 4GB system. Most newer computers, especially for gaming, have 8GB of RAM. They could realistically make use of up to 7GB of that for the game. This could mean better visuals, better effects etc.

Let's face it, they aren't exactly known for optimisation, the excuse in GTA 4 about future systems was a bit lame. GTA 5 will be on a more optimised game engine, but still the extra ability to use RAM would go a long way towards better performance. I highly doubt that it would be 64-bit, but having it 32-bit would only be a detriment, not a bonus. Like I said, anyone running 32-bit Windows probably won't be able to run it effectively anyway!

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    GTA3 was last GTA game I liked enough to actual finish

6. snorge

snorge Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    I just read this as "GTA5 to have extremely large boobs"

7. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    32 bits has nothing to do with memory limitations. Microsoft is the one that does. It's already sorted out long time ago. For example Stalker Call of Pripyat, it uses more than 2GB of memory for highest detail textures or at least it requires more, you have to make some changes in your system (if it 32bit) to let it use more than 2047MB of memory. With setting kernel modes and patch PAE your limitation is 64GB ant that limit is set on your Processor. Only difference is compatibility. Intel On purpose makes bad Video drivers, that you wouldn't be able to use 32bit with PAE and their drivers it'll crash your system. Of course 64bit is the future, there aren't many apps that support 64bit, i didn't find myself using it right now. If you are into video editing, that's another story. I would love to see both 32 and 64 bits version of this game, but i doubt it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    PAE was never really worked out properly in terms of software and hardware support, which is why it was basically just for server use. Most of those 32-bit programs that support more than 2GB just support 3GB through largeaddressaware 'switch'. PAE is nothing more than a 'hack' emulation layer, so it's use is less than ideal.

64-bit gaming didn't take off because 64-bit Windows didn't take off. True, XP x64 wasn't that flash in terms of support, but it was the best XP in terms of reliability and performance. XP x64 was based on Server 2003, which was based on a an updated codepath to XP. Microsoft could have released a home version of Server 2003 (XP 2 or whatever), but they didn't because they thought they'd have Vista out before they did.

People were still buying 32-bit Vista, and especially 32-bit Windows 7 (even if that crippled their systems). Because the 64-bit OS wasn't pushed, general software and hardware support for 64-bit wasn't pushed, and as a result it meant 64-bit apps and games weren't pursued.

Farcry 1 was available in 64-bit, as was Crysis 1. It's getting to the point though where 64-bit will be a requirement, not an option, and unfortunately we have technically already passed that point (meaning some crippling due to 32-bit). The Xbox 720 and PS4 will both be 64-bit, so let's just hope they port it to 64-bit under Windows.

Going by the release schedule, and rumours of the PC release date, GTA 5 won't be available until almost 2014. It seems difficult to fathom the continuance of 32-bit games much beyond 2014.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

No joke, from what I've heard...It will....:boob:

10. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    It's not a hack and never was. Check this If i would write that info my self you probably wouldn't believe, would you?

Microsoft made a mistake, by continuing 32bit versions of Windows, They should've stopped it since windows XP without 32bit emulation layer, or with just simple arithmetic layer. Now nobody would even talk about PAE or anything like that, almost all games would be 64bits, programs too. We have 64bit windows with 32 bit inside for compatibility layer with 32bit programs, which are most often used. I don't see the reason now why i should use 64bits. While it's about GTA we should stop here talking about this.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Memory limitations do exist for 32bit, nothing to do with windows. The same limitations exist for x86 versions of OSX and Linux. It's because of windows that this hack even works at all. And really nothing to do with GTA mind you.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  13. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    how much fuel :D

14. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    It's the only 3D GTA that I actually haven't finished.