GTA V Shadow Fix

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by mkeezay29, May 1, 2015.

1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Yep, I have it set to read only.

Also when I am ingame, I simply avoid the settings page.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    OpenIV was updated to allow modifying of archived files, can someone here please upload the default common.rpf and x64a.rpf, mine are messed up and my backups accidentally got erased off my desktop with a bunch of junk.

Mods I'm working on

Realistic combat and police mod, this will decrease the amount of police that come after you for lower wanted levels and increase them for higher ones, any crime not witnessed by a cop will have to be reported by a pedestrian, and pedestrians will now react differently and call police depending on your actions, you will die easier in combat, but cop and pedestrian accuracy levels are lower so you will get hit less, especially when they are moving, their accuracy drops significantly, moves like melee and shoving will force enemies to drop their weapons, other tweaks to numerous to post.

Simple graphical and performance optimization files, will release these first

Winter time with snowballs mod, brought all the models and included all weapon data from MPXmas to files in common.rpf, like adding it to the weapon wheel and effects files, 8 different levels of snowfall, and 4 different presets for those levels snow light, snow heavy, snow xmas, and blizzard, 3 different kinds of ground snow light, snow heavy, and xmas.

After that a minimal HUD mod that repositions icons at the bottom resized to take up minimal space.

Then full car handling mod and if possible a mod that displays the map on a secondary monitor, but that's not looking to likely.

I do need the default common.rpf and x64a.rpf files though to do this, can someone please upload them for me, thanks.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  3. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    Do you think you can do a mod for 59HZ bug too?
    I mean the bug that read the 1920x1080 resolution only in 50HZ and 59HZ, and cause stuttering with v-sync ON.

p.s. are you preparing a mod for the shadow box/popup and LOD too?
    p.p.s. sorry but at the moment i can't upload those files :(

4. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    I'm thinking because most 60hz monitors are actually 59.9 or something the game is just rounding down to 59, but I will check the files to see, one thing I would try is lowering the resolution and seeing if it hits 60 then, if so it's likely running just barely under 60 so it reports 59, I have a TV and monitor hooked to my rig, the monitor will read 75Hz at 720p, 60 at 1080p, my TV will hit 60 Hz at pretty much anything under 1080p, at 1080 it's 59 Hz so that might be the issue as well, what kind of monitor/TV are you using?

And yes fixing and optimizing shadows and other effects is first on my to do list.

5. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    I have an EIZO FORIS FS2333, and i have similar problem.
    With any in-game resolution between 1360x768 and 1680x1050 (the last res. before 1080p), the game shows me the "60HZ" number and with in-game vsync the game runs flawlessly at 60FPS, no judder/stutter or other problems.

With 1920x1080 i have 59HZ and with ingame vsync i have stuttering.
    I tried even a custom resolution but nothing :/

6. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  7. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    need it for online as well though

8. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
  9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    looks good here...
    shadow box is more then doubled..

[​IMG]

even the stairs in the back background look good and sharp..

10. CondorLeone

CondorLeone Guest

GPU:
    GTX660 2gb
    Hey guys,

I've stumbled upon this thread while searching how to fix extremely low resolution of night-time GTAV shadows, and therefore I had to create an account to ask you this question. So, my first post, hello there.

Have you encountered this problem too? I mean, all shadows cast by objects during night (especially coming from street lamps lights) are EXTREMELY low in resolution, no matter the settings. Shadows' edges are jagged and pixelated, and they look horribly distracting (they look like shaking).

There's a thread created by another player on steamcommunity - it presents the issue well, but I can't post links here. You can try to search for "Night Shadows Look Bad".

There's similar problem with shadows inside some rooms/buildings, but it's much less noticeable. I guess it has something to do with static lights? I've done some research inside common.rpf and x64a.rpf, but with no success... I'm not really good at it ;) Do you think it can be fixed?

11. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    Hey mkeezay29, any news???

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Yeah dude that annoys the hell out of me too, i wish they did a better job on that. :bang:

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I have the same monitor and had same bug, but in other game, mostly BF series with frostbyte engine, at first I had that in win7 but then driver fixed it, same thing happened again in win8 but again driver fixed it later..

Btw are you using HDMI or DVI? also might want to double check
    [​IMG]

one time after driver fix it had the same 59hz again, but then I checked this part and it was 59hz instead of 60hz..

14. fabiobad

fabiobad Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
    I have always used DVI, but now i'm using the HDMI.
    Overall there is no real differences, but with HDMI i can play GTA V at 50 HZ vsync do better than nothing...

In the monitor property i have 60HZ.

With BF4 i dont have problems, the resolution of the game say:
    1920x1080 59.94HZ

But with ingame vsync there isn't any stuttering.

I read that if you force the vsync from the Nvidia Control Panel you should have a 60fps vsync on GTA V without stutter, have you tried?

I haven't find a solution with the AMD 280X :(

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well mine said 59.94 too in BF series, now its 60.00hz. Might want to report to AMD to fix it.

16. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    still no news on a shadow/lod box fix that works 100% ?

17. PrimeKazan

PrimeKazan Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    I saw that increasing the <ShadowQuality value="" /> above 3 (very high) can fix the problem a little bit. The square still exist but it's really less visible. I prefer using the value <ShadowQuality value="5" />

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  18. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    You can't fix whats broken?

Lol

:p

19. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    I find it pretty good except the box issue it's sad :(
    they also did great on the SSR part :)

But the AA System and results are a mess :(

and those low quality night shadows you even see them @ the casting trailer :(

http://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3912&start=50#p62095

Ubisoft did partly much much better on Watch_Dogs (even with the Streaming issues @ the beginning)

But never the less Game wise and Sandbox usage it's great also the Rockstar Editor looks for it's Kind :)

And there are a lot of texture inconsistencies especially apart from the Main Characters and Story Line.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  20. CondorLeone

CondorLeone Guest

GPU:
    GTX660 2gb
    It annoys me so much that I'd prefer shadows to be completely gone during night.

So, after some unsuccessfull attempts to increase shadow resolution, now I'm messing with all timecycle files to find a way to disable those lamp shadows. There are some interesting modifiers inside "timecycle_mods_1.xml" file, like "StreetLighting" or "CUSTOM_streetlight", but nothing seems to work and I'm running out of ideas... Please, guys, help! :)

BTW, can someone enlighten me what does "ped_light" in those files (or in the visualsettings.dat) stand for?